• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto Shippūden DVD Set 14

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
You thought the animation was good?

Seriously? Shocked
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
You thought the animation was good?

Seriously? Shocked

Actually it is good.

Though the excitment will unfortunately last to this point cause of the next crapload of fillers . and it will be quite a while before we can get into the 5 kage summit arc and the danzo vs saskue arc let alone the nine tails taming arc spoiler[ where he meets his mother kushina ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with jr0904 - the animation was good. I also agree with the ratings given in the review - the pain arc has been one of the best since Shippuden began and music was quality. As jr stated it is a shame there is a long wait for the Summit arc but its all good fun when it gets there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually it is good.

Take a look at this and say that you honestly thought it wasn't horrendous.

Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually it is good.

Looking at the style of the animation here, isn't that Ryo-timo's handiwork? He also did some crazily animated scenes in Gurren Lagann and Birdy the Mighty: Decode 2. In terms of actual animation, it's quite good. Now, does it look "pretty," "clean," or "on-model"? No, not really, but I'm pretty sure that was kinda the point here, to give the movement a more.... wild, kinetic feel, maybe? Anyway, that seems to be part of the guy's style, and I find it nice to see distinct styles of individuals creep into the output of long-running anime like Naruto.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this arc. Naruto vs Pain was one of the best fights in the entire series. It's a shame Studio Pierrot sent this show to filler hell once again. To make it even worse the filler episodes have better animation than the adaptations. Is it that they can't take a hiatus just like Fairy Tail?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
I really liked this arc. Naruto vs Pain was one of the best fights in the entire series. It's a shame Studio Pierrot sent this show to filler hell once again. To make it even worse the filler episodes have better animation than the adaptations. Is it that they can't take a hiatus just like Fairy Tail?

If there was a hiatus for every filler we would have about 5 episodes a year Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Quote:
Actually it is good.

Looking at the style of the animation here, isn't that Ryo-timo's handiwork? He also did some crazily animated scenes in Gurren Lagann and Birdy the Mighty: Decode 2. In terms of actual animation, it's quite good. Now, does it look "pretty," "clean," or "on-model"? No, not really, but I'm pretty sure that was kinda the point here, to give the movement a more.... wild, kinetic feel, maybe? Anyway, that seems to be part of the guy's style, and I find it nice to see distinct styles of individuals creep into the output of long-running anime like Naruto.

It's Yamashita Shingo's. Yamashita did the keys, tweens, and finishing effects for the first six and a half-ish minutes of the episode himself. In flash. Matsumoto Norio did the keys for the Chibaku Tensei up through the end of the episode. I believe Kutsuna Ken'ichi did stuff between those segments.

Episode #167 is a genius work of art. It's wild, kinetic, and inventive. Wakabayashi Atsushi isn't hired to be anything but himself.

Quote:
Actually it is good.

It's gorgeous. Do not confuse off-model for bad animation and do not confuse intentionally off-model for poor work.

Last edited by JulieYBM on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ahhh some of my favorite Naruto stuff here. And, for me, the strange animation style used for the battle worked because it fit the frantic nature of that fight with it's wild, unbridled fury.
evilkorpse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Its too bad that after these episodes its nothing but fillers. My favorite episode will be spoiler[with Hinata revealing her feelings to Naruto while she fights Pain tring to protect Naruto]
Yeah that fight scene with Pain and Naruto Nine Tail Fox form looked pretty weird but it was awesome Very Happy
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:47 pm Reply with quote
evilkorpse wrote:
Its too bad that after these episodes its nothing but fillers. My favorite episode will be spoiler[with Hinata revealing her feelings to Naruto while she fights Pain tring to protect Naruto]
Yeah that fight scene with Pain and Naruto Nine Tail Fox form looked pretty weird but it was awesome Very Happy

Huh? The episodes since #167 have covered over a hundred chapters of the comic.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually it is good.

I was wondering why this wasn't on Blu-Ray. Then I saw this and I think I know the answer. I had repressed that.

That "style" of animation offends my eyes and is not worthy of being in full HD. It's not even worthy of existence.

Back in the 80s and 90s when animation studios had something of an excuse to show simplistic backgrounds and disembodied punches during fight scenes. Today there is no excuse for both using such cheap animation shortcuts or making them look worse than anything I remember from the 80s/90s.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Back in the 80s and 90s when animation studios had something of an excuse to show simplistic backgrounds and disembodied punches during fight scenes. Today there is no excuse for both using such cheap animation shortcuts or making them look worse than anything I remember from the 80s/90s.

It's artistic license. The episode has over five thousand drawings in the first seven minutes alone, drawn entirely by one person. This is not a normal occurrence in television animation. That cut of Pain looks the way it does because Yamashita was specifically instructed--or inspired--to convey Pain's self-righteous outrage with images that tear through the air and quiver with emotion.

The backgrounds aren't even particularly lacking in detail, either. The above gif of Pain has unique looking clouds not seen elsewhere in the series. As Pain strikes the ground the background is deformed in a speed effect.
gedata

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Does this arc bring "The Invasion of Pain" arc to a close? I remember the ending being a massive cop-out.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Does this arc bring "The Invasion of Pain" arc to a close? I remember the ending being a massive cop-out.

I really don't think it was a copout considering Kishimoto would never spoiler[kill Kakashi without explaining what happened with Rin.] Also, the whole "copout" ended being very relevant as Pain's final technique is brought up volumes later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2