• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Live-Action Akira Project in Talks for Revival

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:13 am Reply with quote
Warner Brothers is better off staying way way far away from Akira.

If they want to whitewash the story, then they call call it something call else, but for a movie to truly be Akira, it needs to have Asian actors and Neo-Tokyo.

And for the love of God keep Kirsten Stewart the hell away for it too.

Last edited by AbZeroNow on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm more concerned about such a low budget for a film that's going to need expensive CG and other effects. Even crap like the Total Recall remake got $140m, and they're probably wanting to budget this around around half of what they're denying.
Lann

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:48 am Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
At least it's another excuse to post that video. Never gets old.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
The Total Recall remake would be the "best" that an American Akira production could look like, and that obviously ain't good at all.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
Just let this idea die. Please, WB.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:50 am Reply with quote
I'll believe it when they actually start filming and not a moment sooner. I do hope it gets made because I'm always interested to see what these things are going to be like, but I'm guessing in a month or two we'll get a report that the whole thing has fallen apart again.

Quote:
Garrett Hedlund was originally cast as the film's lead, but it is unknown if he will still star if the project returns.

I really hope not, he was terrible in Pacific Rim.

Quote:
it was considered by Warner to be too costly at US$90 million

So it's going to be less that $90 million? That.... doesn't really bode well. If this gets made I'd prefer it to be at a point when the economy has recovered and there's a bit more money floating around, Akira deserves better.

Quote:

Is the point of that video basically just "lol it's going to be set in America?" Because of course it's going to be set in America, it's a US adaptation. There's a Japanese version of Unforgiven coming out that's set in (gasp!) Japan, is that hilarious as well?

Look I agree with people that the casting choices surrounding this and other anime adaptations call attention to the disturbing American = white assumption that Hollywood is working under, but that's an issue across the board, not just with anime movies. There's nothing inherently wrong with one country adapting the cultural output of another for their own audience, it happens all the time all over the world. Arrietty was an adaptation of a British novel, was that perverting the original source material somehow?
kdmccaskill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote
These film studios can't get away with doing things like this.

We need a film studio to produce anime live action movies that
spend money

Akira= 90 Million Dollar budget

Dragonball Evolution= 30 Million Dollar Budget

You do the math

To make a good action cgi movie you need at least 180 Million
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:54 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

If they want to whitewish the story, then they call call it something call else, but for a movie to truly be Akira, it needs to have Asian actors and Neo-Tokyo.

No, not Asian actors, Japanese actors. The thing is that even if they do cast "Asians" some people don't like that they don't cast, the actual ethnic group that the character's supposed to be. That Jamie Chung girl played a Japanese woman in some crappy film, even though Chung's 100% Korean, which might I add is not Japanese. I wouldn't want Kim Jong Il to be played by a Chinese/Chinese-American. Kaneda is not Asian. He's Japanese. Japanese.
kdmccaskill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:

If they want to whitewish the story, then they call call it something call else, but for a movie to truly be Akira, it needs to have Asian actors and Neo-Tokyo.

No, not Asian actors, Japanese actors. The thing is that even if they do cast "Asians" some people don't like that they don't cast, the actual ethnic group that the character's supposed to be. That Jamie Chung girl played a Japanese woman in some crappy film, even though Chung's 100% Korean, which might I add is not Japanese. I wouldn't want Kim Jong Il to be played by a Chinese/Chinese-American. Kaneda is not Asian. He's Japanese. Japanese.

This is an American adaption of a Japanese anime movie,
Why in god's good name would they give the characters Japanese
names, for an American audience, they're not making this for the Japanese people to serve your fanboy view that it should be Japanese.

The movie Old Boy, by Spike Lee is an adaption of a manga series, that was also a Korean movie

He changed the names of the characters, and it looks awesome.
You fanboys aren't Japanese, no matter how much you wanna be

Your problem shouldn't be "changed to American names"
It should be storyline and Budget and Director and Cast

Most anime fans got started with Sailor Moon,

Sailor Moon Japanese name was Usagi, her name was changed
to Serena, do you know why?

Because people can relate to characters who have names that they
are familiar with, Serena doesn't sound Japanese
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:29 am Reply with quote
@kdmccaskill Actually I'm half Japanese and I was born in Japan. "Usagi" was changed to "Serena" because back in 1995, name changes in non Asian English anime dubs were common and xenophobia. They should have at least called her "Bunny" if they wanted to make her name "English sounding" yet keep the meaning of her name. Why Usagi has an Italian name is odd, but whatever. Things can be popular, without major name changes. Name changes/localization in games can work because a translation can never really compromise a game's function, not to mention, it's almost impossible not to localize games, since it would make almost no sense to an English speaker. In anime, books, comics and movies, however that's an entirely different story.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
Did nobody read the part about Katsuhiro Otomo being the executive producer? Nobody thinks that would be a good sign?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, in sports...
kdmccaskill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Did nobody read the part about Katsuhiro Otomo being the executive producer? Nobody thinks that would be a good sign?

The manga creator being executive producer is awesome.
The problem lies in the budget

they want to do this for 90 Million, g
for something like hunger games, which was 88 Million
that would work, because, not a lot of special effects there,
but Akira.. for that to work you need money

The budget is too small, it won't work
Like I said, if someone changes the name of characters,
I don't care, that's small and petty on fan's part
But, not going by the source material storyline is a big no no, and small budget really sucks

YamadaKun wrote:
@kdmccaskill Actually I'm half Japanese and I was born in Japan. "Usagi" was changed to "Serena" because back in 1995, name changes in non Asian English anime dubs were common and xenophobia. They should have at least called her "Bunny" if they wanted to make her name "English sounding" yet keep the meaning of her name. Why Usagi has an Italian name is odd, but whatever. Things can be popular, without major name changes. Name changes/localization in games can work because a translation can never really compromise a game's function, not to mention, it's almost impossible not to localize games, since it would make almost no sense to an English speaker. In anime, books, comics and movies, however that's an entirely different story.

Do you really believe Warner Bros is going to make a movie with an all Japanese cast for a worldwide release? That's insane

First we have to find a Japanese cast that actually speaks English really really good

Second, I hope you get on your soapbox and scream about name changes when the Japanese adapt American Movies, and change the names to Japanese names

Third: For us Anime and Manga fans, Japan is the center of the universe, for the general public, it's not, so if we have to trick the American audience into becoming fans, by changing a name in a live action, then so be it

Anime live action movies can be big, but it won't be with hiring an Asian cast, low, budget, and bad director

Last edited by kdmccaskill on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 am; edited 3 times in total
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Maybe this needs to be an Answerman question, but why can't they just let this project die? It is almost guaranteed to bomb. Like Dragonball Evolution, too much time has passed and not enough people will be familiar with the source material to guarantee an audience. And those that are fans will stay away due to the inevitable whitewashing/changes.

Why are they so hellbent on doing this when failure is almost certain?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3