• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Downloading 2,600 E-Books From Kinokuniya Without Paying

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
that Bookstore website is pretty bad. How do you let people download all those books for free and not improve on the security and payment process.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:33 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
that Bookstore website is pretty bad. How do you let people download all those books for free and not improve on the security and payment process.

Cause he was a hacker of some kind...?

I know a sci nerd who's done this to academic journals behind paywalls and not got caught BTW. It pays off till you get caught out.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
When will people learn if you can afford something you can't have it Rolling Eyes... Maybe this will spur him into getting a job... Or alternatively to read plenty of scanned copies of books on various free websites... At least then he wouldn't be prosecuted for reading them on there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 am Reply with quote
The thing that bothers me most is that Japanese publishers seemed so skiddish about e-books in the first place (exempting the whole independent "cell phone novel" movement of course). I do agree with the first poster that companies should use the incident to see if they can improve their security, but I also worry that companies will just use this as an excuse to justify not wanting to go digital. I wonder how Japanese ebooks are doing...
cche7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:22 am Reply with quote
Really. What the hell kind of outdated security software are they using. He could have easily stolen credit card and personal information if their security is as lax as this. Remind me to never use my cards at any Kinokuniya stores again.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote
cche7 wrote:
Really. What the hell kind of outdated security software are they using. He could have easily stolen credit card and personal information if their security is as lax as this. Remind me to never use my cards at any Kinokuniya stores again.

Everything I've heard about Japanese businesses seems to point to an unwillingness to move forward technologically. Kinokuniya seems to be no exception.
jhuhn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:04 pm Reply with quote
So what would you call it? I call it online shoplifting.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
jhuhn wrote:
So what would you call it? I call it online shoplifting.

More like "unauthorized download of digital copies". Nothing was actually lifted, luckily. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
I do agree with the first poster that companies should use the incident to see if they can improve their security, but I also worry that companies will just use this as an excuse to justify not wanting to go digital. I wonder how Japanese ebooks are doing...
Why worry?

Print is way better for reading anyway.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
tasogarenootome wrote:
I do agree with the first poster that companies should use the incident to see if they can improve their security, but I also worry that companies will just use this as an excuse to justify not wanting to go digital. I wonder how Japanese ebooks are doing...
Why worry?

Print is way better for reading anyway.

Not if you're someone with vision problems. It's far better to be able to adjust font types, size, and colors/contrast/brightness.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
@Sariachan

It is called theft of services. It is like stealing cable TV or electricity or refusing to pay a whore. Just because nothing physical was taken doesn't mean it is not theft.
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:03 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Sariachan

It is called theft of services. It is like stealing cable TV or electricity or refusing to pay a whore. Just because nothing physical was taken doesn't mean it is not theft.

I LOL'ed when I read this. That is all.

P.S. I really want links to stories of people getting arrested for not paying for sex. I need more comedy in my life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1