• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai to Provide Content to Amazon Unbox

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reikijenosaido

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that the amazon unbox service overcharges for almost every item in their inventory. They want $3.99 an episode for the Escaflowne tv series when you can buy the entire boxed set (anime legeds edition) for $24.99.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Geeze, what a colossal rip-off. It costs more to download episodes that you can only watch on your computer than it does to just buy the box set right from the same site! For example it would cost over $100 to download each episode of Outlaw star separately (if it wasn't missing the last four episodes), but the box sets can be bought right on the site for under $45 and come on DVDs you can watch on TV or on your computer. Yes, they give a "season" discount, but those discounts come to roughly the same amount as what the box sets cost.

I really hope nobody is being duped into buying their anime this way when they could save so much money on buying DVDs that they could sell later to make some money back.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strategos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
" In Japan, by digitally distributing Gundam Seed at the same time as the TV broadcast, Bandai Namco raises its recognition of this series and it dramatically increased the sale of DVDs."

Just think about that statement from Bandai. Think about it...yes, they just admitted it.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Hahah, that's great, they just made the biggest mistake of their entire corporation's existence by placing that statement. I wonder how many others will pick up onto their admittance of the effect of "digital distribution."
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:
" In Japan, by digitally distributing Gundam Seed at the same time as the TV broadcast, Bandai Namco raises its recognition of this series and it dramatically increased the sale of DVDs."

Just think about that statement from Bandai. Think about it...yes, they just admitted it.

I'm slow.....I don't get it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Strategos wrote:

I'm slow.....I don't get it.

They're implying that digital distribution = fansubs and raw distribution. Somehow, I don't think that's what Baindai meant.
schizosmurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Basicly it shows that digital distribution of a series increases DVD sales. Which is contrary to to what the RIAA MPAA and others have been saying about "digital distribution" (Read: fansubs or other online avaible version of shows). They've been saying that it hurts DVD sales and they lose millions fo dollars annualy.

Consumers are more apt to buy a series on DVD if they can "try it before you buy it".
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote
schizosmurf wrote:
Basicly it shows that digital distribution of a series increases DVD sales. Which is contrary to to what the RIAA MPAA and others have been saying about "digital distribution" (Read: fansubs or other online avaible version of shows). They've been saying that it hurts DVD sales and they lose millions fo dollars annualy.

Consumers are more apt to buy a series on DVD if they can "try it before you buy it".

I get it now! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one's commenting on this part of the article:

Article wrote:

In addition, Bandai Channel will "lend its expertise in on-demand distribution including such topics as conversion of content to online formats and protection of copyrights."

That sounds like a declartion of war on fansubbers and bootleggers to me.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Bandai wrote:
In Japan, by digitally distributing Gundam Seed at the same time as the TV broadcast, Bandai Namco raises its recognition of this series and it dramatically increased the sale of DVDs."

I think that what Bandai meant was the legitimate distribution methods that they used and not the other methods (YouTube, Winny, bittorent, etc.) that some people want to see given credit.

Bandai declared war a long time ago imo. Wink

YouTube is probably considered a threat to them now. I bet someone's going to sue them soon.
schizosmurf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I think that what Bandai meant was the legitimate distribution methods that they used and not the other methods (YouTube, Winny, bittorent, etc.) that some people want to see given credit.

Bandai declared war a long time ago imo. Wink

of course thats what they meant to say, BUT unintentionally they've given credit to other/all methods. at least in some peoples eyes.

Just from personal experience, there are some shows I've bought on dvd that I would not have done otherwise if I hadn't aquired a version before hand to see if it was worth my money. On the same note though, there are series I've downloaded that I wont buy on DVD, but I dont see how they count that as "losing" money, since I would not have bought them regardless.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
But you downloaded to see the program and that's what mattered. You have to pay to download from them, so downloading it from a free source counts as loss of income imo.
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Strategos wrote:

ACtually, they didn't. There was a FAQ included with the release that ANN didn't post in the topic page. Here's the relevant section about "Digital distribution (all bolding is emphasis on my part):

Quote:
Bandai Channel digitally distributes (via on-demand) many excellent anime titles produced by Bandai-Namco group companies and other partners. Since this service began in October 2002, there are more than 300 titles (about 4,400 episodes) available at Bandai Channel sites as of August 2006. At the end of July 2006, Bandai Channel has already sold more than 27 million episodes. Besides those titles from the Bandai-Namco Group companies, Bandai Channel plans to distribute titles from other partners. In the future, Bandai Channel is going to produce direct-to-broadband titles besides those already produced for other media. Also Bandai Channel plans to distribute not only to PCs but also to other devices.

This has nothing to do with fansubs. Digital distribution in Japan and asia is far more widespread in celphones and other devices that North America and that's what they're touting. Fansubs have absolutely nothing to do with the statements made by them.

[/b]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
ACtually, they didn't. There was a FAQ included with the release that ANN didn't post in the topic page.[/b]

You wouldn't happen to have a link for that FAQ, would you? I'd like to read more of it.
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Will anyone use Unbox? After reading reviews on Cnet and a few odd blogs about its intrusive DRM and bogus EULA, partnering with Amazon might not be such a good idea if the plan is to make Anime more widespread

Last edited by RezSav on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2