• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - The Manga Review Delivery Service

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, Q-ko-chan is only 2 books long? I had expected, well, at least three books.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote
Excellent review for The Drifting Classroom. As a big horror manga fan, I'll definitely check it out.

Quote:
Facial expressions are a continuing problem as well—everyone appears to be in a default state of shock, with few distinctions among the various characters' levels of fear.

Haha, one of my favorite parts of reading classic horror. It's just not the same without those open mouths and wide eyes on every page. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:48 am Reply with quote
I've not had much of an interest in the horror genre for manga (Gyo and Uzumaki felt underwhelming to me, particularly the former), but from the impression I get here, The Drifting Classroom does seem to focus more on the human psyche rather than obscure imagery, which I personally find to be much more frightening. Plus, it is the only title from Viz's Signature line that I haven't been collecting (other than Golgo 13, which I've read a bit of and didn't care much for it), so I might invest time and money into it eventually.

Nice review on Fullmetal Alchemist as well. Volume nine ultimately just seemed like it was setting the stage for events in volume ten, which, if I recall correctly, proved to be one of better ones in the manga.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Quote:
Facial expressions are a continuing problem as well—everyone appears to be in a default state of shock, with few distinctions among the various characters' levels of fear.

Haha, one of my favorite parts of reading classic horror. It's just not the same without those open mouths and wide eyes on every page. Wink

I miss that too... I know that a lot of writers now are too "sophisticated" to use that technique, but it reminds me of stuff I read long ago, so I've always enjoyed it too.
Which is why I love Suehiro Maruo.
nefadol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Nice review on Fullmetal Alchemist as well. Volume nine ultimately just seemed like it was setting the stage for events in volume ten, which, if I recall correctly, proved to be one of better ones in the manga.

Yep, volume 10 is where the story really picks up. Hopefully people stick with it until then, because it never stops once it hits that volume.

FMA isn't really a great series to be judged on the volume format, it's a continuous cliffhanger. Glad the review brought up the typos, should also mention speech bubbles misplaced and Ed calling Al "Ed". Anime hyper
Duo Maxwell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
When I read,"Star Trek:The Manga", I lol'd. When I saw that it was from Tokyo Pop, I lol'd even harder Laughing .....
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
nefadol wrote:
Glad the review brought up the typos, should also mention speech bubbles misplaced and Ed calling Al "Ed". Anime hyper

Viz seems to be rather inconsistent with certain manga, Fullmetal Alchemist in particular. I mean, the "Ishvar" to "Ishbal" after volume two, the infamous cross edit in volume eight, and of course characters addressing others by their own name.

If it weren't for the fact that I don't understand Japanese, I would be buying the originals instead.

Duo Maxwell wrote:
When I read,"Star Trek:The Manga", I lol'd. When I saw that it was from Tokyo Pop, I lol'd even harder Laughing .....
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

Cue the many confrontations between Kaneda and Tetsuo in the Akira movie.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've not had much of an interest in the horror genre for manga (Gyo and Uzumaki felt underwhelming to me, particularly the former), but from the impression I get here, The Drifting Classroom does seem to focus more on the human psyche rather than obscure imagery, which I personally find to be much more frightening. Plus, it is the only title from Viz's Signature line that I haven't been collecting (other than Golgo 13, which I've read a bit of and didn't care much for it), so I might invest time and money into it eventually.

Oh yeah, definitally check out Drifting Classroom. I'm not a huge horror fan either, but Umezu is just a master storyteller. The sociological themes are what really does it for me, as well as his ability to tap into the child's psyce and see what makes them really tick. Some of the best manga coming out in english right now.
Great Matsumoto-avatar by the way. It's always good to see another fan around here.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
nefadol wrote:
HellKorn wrote:

Yep, volume 10 is where the story really picks up. Hopefully people stick with it until then, because it never stops once it hits that volume.

FMA isn't really a great series to be judged on the volume format, it's a continuous cliffhanger. Glad the review brought up the typos, should also mention speech bubbles misplaced and Ed calling Al "Ed". Anime hyper

Or was it Al calling Ed "Al"? Laughing

You're right, I think the very long chapters in FMA kind of make it awkward when the stories are lumped volume by volume. You get these huuuuge stretches of one plotline and then another one wanders in out of nowhere. (I wonder what the excitement must be like for those who follow it from month to month in Gangan.)
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:25 pm Reply with quote
linlinchan wrote:
I miss that too... I know that a lot of writers now are too "sophisticated" to use that technique, but it reminds me of stuff I read long ago, so I've always enjoyed it too.
Which is why I love Suehiro Maruo.

Oh, I love Suehiro Maruo too, and while he definitely has the classic wide-eyes thing going on, his characters' facial expressions are much creepier. I notice more macabre smiling in his work than anything else. They always invoke a kind of chilling irony.

Like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DoubleWide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
While Star Trek: The Manga may not be that great, and its not, I didn't think it was that bad either. I liked it and that's the truth. Razz Razz
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking of picking up Star Trek the other day, and from what you said I think I will pass. I am a fan but I don't think this will offer anything exciting.

Corpse Delivery Service sounds interesting though. Can you tell me how mature the series is?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a Star Treck fan (although I liked the old movies), but the character designs on the cover are terrible. If I had any interest in it to begin with, I would look at that and say "uh, no, I think I'll pass."
nefadol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
(I wonder what the excitement must be like for those who follow it from month to month in Gangan.)

It's hell, plainly put. There's so much in each chapter that it feels like more than 40-something pages, so it's not too bad. Getting the tanks every 4 months with the extras helps though. Anime smile

...better than some monthly series, Loveless is like 20 pages (that's less than most weekly serials!).
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
Oh yeah, definitally check out Drifting Classroom. I'm not a huge horror fan either, but Umezu is just a master storyteller. The sociological themes are what really does it for me, as well as his ability to tap into the child's psyce and see what makes them really tick. Some of the best manga coming out in english right now.

Well, that about cinches it for me, then. I suppose that I'll eventually invest in Dragon Head as well, since it's seems to focus on the psychological aspect of things rather than just "OH MY LORD, THAT THING LOOKS HORRID!" type of horror.

Quote:
Great Matsumoto-avatar by the way. It's always good to see another fan around here.

Matsumoto cannot have enough fans, in my personal opinion. The avatar itself is a cropped and resized picture of Black's alter-ego from Black & White, which I got scans of when it became to frustrating to find legit copies. Eventually I was able to track down a good used condition copy of volume one, but I still had this picture on here, I figured I might as well put it to some use.

Oh, and likewise with your Brothers of Japan avatar as well. Hopefully "that certain scan team" will get around to that series as well as eventually finishing Hanaotoko.

nefadol wrote:
Patachu wrote:
(I wonder what the excitement must be like for those who follow it from month to month in Gangan.)

It's hell, plainly put. There's so much in each chapter that it feels like more than 40-something pages, so it's not too bad. Getting the tanks every 4 months with the extras helps though. Anime smile

That about sums up my thoughts as well. Arakawa is able to put in enough information and development in each chapter that I'm completely comfortable with the wait compared to other series that see monthly releases (I adore Berserk and can understand the amount of work Miura has to do, but the time in between and only around twenty pages each chapter is a killer).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2