• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - A Love Like Winter

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animedude35

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
Ah this looks alot better than the previous one, it still reads like the first one, which i didn't mind at all, but each review is color coded, which didn't distract me at all.

Very good read, and the format is nice, and it still keeps what the editors want to accomplish as well has having some of the feedback that readers gave put back into the column =)
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So while you're all cozy in your homes, sleeping until half past noon,

I've been sleeping until 4 the last few days. Cool

Quote:
1) I know s/he likes this series, but does s/he already have this volume, or the ones before it?

I'd suggest visiting that friend and perusing their shelves beforehand.

Quote:
2) If I get my friend this DVD, would s/he prefer the limited edition with the artbox?

Regular edition is fine, unless you're bleep-buddies. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
3) If I get that person the artbox, would they then feel obligated to buy the rest of the series?

Not if they hate the show.

Quote:
I am madly in love with this series and everything related to it.

I have a love-hate thing(mostly hate) with the manga, but I liked the anime preview at AX.

Quote:
Yukari is a hardworking high school student just like any other—

Huh?

Quote:
For a story about love and teenage rebellion, Paradise Kiss is one of the best series ever created,

It actually isn't, but it has its moments, so I won't write it off completely.

Quote:
and you want that special gift to give a lucky lady in your life, this is it.

Assuming your lady is ok with a series about a girl who feels empowered by changing her appearance. If not, she might think you're trying to tell her something.

Quote:
Not to say that men can't enjoy it—one of my closest male friends loves it so much, he agreed to dress up as George to pair up with my Yukari cosplay.

Was he at AX?

Quote:
But hey, not everyone is going to be stoked about getting ParaKiss—especially if they're a boy.

If it has the fan-service of the manga, I'd think guys would like the show more.
The cover's actually a lot less girly than most, so it'd probably be a good series to watch together.

Quote:
He's not nearly as attractive as Pierce Brosnan

Bah, Brosnan has a hairier chest. Laughing

Quote:
or as brooding as Daniel Craig,

He is in Walther...
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
This one looks excellent and flows much better as a narrative! The color tabs on the edges is a neat idea; unobtrusive to the narration but effective for organizing reviews. Nice column,that.

I oughta get that Fumoffu thinpak as soon as possible, too. And Parakiss. I've never watched/read it, but all the buzz about the show is intriguing.
saini85

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
yes I would definitely have to agree, this installment of the column is a great improvement. The colored tabs and the spacing between reviews works perfectly- making things easier to read and yet still retaining that narrative quality. I also like the links that were added for some random, and some relevant things. Nice Tits! Smile
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
Column's looking good. I like the shelf-obsessed thing. Give me some time and I'll send in something.

It's a real shame I heard about the Elfen Lied thinpak after I got the first 2 discs. Oh well, what can you do?
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
Great job with the tweaks to the new format. I liked the old column too, but I appreciate the desire to keep things from getting stagnant. While last week's format seemed like a bit of a work in progress and generated a lot of comment, I think you did a nice job taking the criticisms into account and came up with a very good result.

Guess I'm going to have to pick up that Elfen Lied thinpak. I have been passing that series by so far, but it just generates too much comment here for me to ignore it much longer.
Ralboon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm going to have to pick up the Fumffu and Elfen Lied thinpaks seeing as how my limited income hampers buying the actual single DVD's. Thank god for Netflix and mooching!!

Also, I remember a while back a guy I know who worked at a local EB games discovered Mouse while doing inventory. I was vaguely interested in it because it was one of the few anime titles I had never heard of, and he was vaguely interested in it because anime was still a wild foreign beast to him and it had tits. Apparently he later sat down and actually watched the damn thing. Didn't really convert him to the art form.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:52 am Reply with quote
I feel like I should point out that the accent that Steven Brand gives Anderson the the Hellsing dub is actually a Scottish accent (according to what Taliesin Jaffe says in the interview on the second DVD of the Limited Edition), even though I'm pretty sure Anderson's supposed to be Irish.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
So with the Fumoffu thinpak I've been curious to find out if ADV strip it of extras or not? I guess the same question should be asked of the Elfen Lied thinpak as well so I'll do that too.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:08 am Reply with quote
I want ParaKiss - minus the turquoise roses and pearls^_^

It's story is fun, and the characters are great. But I still prefer Gokinjou Monogatari, the manga which to which ParaKiss is the sequel..

Of the rest, only FMP:ffuuummoofffuu is of interest. I must get the original sometime.

So, if you know me, a copy of ParaKiss or and import copy of Gokinjou would be great. Send Lupin and i'll burn your house down<_<

JBV^_^

NOTE:the last sentence was a joke. I think...

Merry Christmas
Quadraxis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The product of a genetic experiment, she represents the perfect dichotomy between her own sweet self, and the monster that science has made her.

Actually, she isn't the product of a genetic experiment; she's a mutant. The next step of evolution of the human race.

But that thinpak sure looks tempting. It might solve the issue of money for me, although I'm still stuck with that bloody NTSC-PAL conversion if I have to import it. Tsk.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
to the rose-scented art card inside that makes your anime shelf smell like a JC Penny restroom

Here I have another reason for me not to get ParaKiss, I normally have to dive thru the Cosmetics departments of Sears & JC Penney to escape from the Perfume Counter Snipers(TM), even tinking about it triggers my allergy Wink Razz

But I can't wait to get hellsing Ultimate Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
So with the Fumoffu thinpak I've been curious to find out if ADV strip it of extras or not? I guess the same question should be asked of the Elfen Lied thinpak as well so I'll do that too.

If you're talking about stuff like small statues or deco stickers and the much, thinpak DO NOT usually offer them. They're just the anime in a smaller, cheaper package. I think the content of the DVD is the same. If you're a fan who loves to get extra stuff, you don't want a thinpak. I adore thinpaks because I don't care for the extra stuff and it's small enough without taking too much space, which is limited in my bedroom. And it's cheaper. The only downside is that you usually hafta wait a year after the last DVD of a series has been released.

As for the Mouse thing, I don't agree it's the worst series out there. It's certainly cheesecake and should be regarded as such. I've seen a good number of episodes in fansubs a couple of years back when I was in college with a group of guy friends. Needless to say, I was pretty appalled by the sheer amount of fanservice.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
I like this setup, but I wouldn't keep making changes until you make everyone happy, because that's futile because you're never going to be able to please everyone. This layout is better than last weeks though, those bars on the side really help and it still flows like a news article.

Not much in this one that appeals to me though, I already have Fumoffu and I don't have Elfen Lied but my friend does. Otherwise ParaKiss doesn't really sound like my kind of show, not big in to the romance series, I'm not an action only person but I just can't get in to a romance show. I could alos tell just from seeing the cover of Mouse awhile back that it wasn't something I could get in to, the obvious fanservice and the fact that seemed to be its only selling point pretty much steered me clear of that one.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

If you're talking about stuff like small statues or deco stickers and the much, thinpak DO NOT usually offer them. They're just the anime in a smaller, cheaper package. I think the content of the DVD is the same. If you're a fan who loves to get extra stuff, you don't want a thinpak. I adore thinpaks because I don't care for the extra stuff and it's small enough without taking too much space, which is limited in my bedroom. And it's cheaper. The only downside is that you usually have to wait a year after the last DVD of a series has been released.
Actually, most ADV thinpacks do not have the same content as the single DVDs, with some exceptions like Noir, Full Metal Panic! (1st series), RahXephon, Rune Soldier, and Gantz. For any other thinpack, you can count on the disc extras to be removed.

That said, I have the single DVDs for Elfen Lied and FMP? Fumoffu, and there really isn't anything that impressive in terms of extras in either series. Fumoffu has some amusing inserts and some slightly informative "The Mysteries of Fumoffu" text extras, and Elfen Lied has some interviews on the inserts, but those are the only things I'd consider significant. You're really not missing out on that much if you get the thinpack for either series.

Paradise Kiss I've had sitting around unwatched on the HD for awhile, but I'll have to give it a try sometime to see if it's worthwhile. After all, I've never been one to shy away from overly girly series..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4