• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Invasion of the One-Word Titles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote
Another glowing review for my beloved Emma! And from a man, no less. Very Happy

The criticism is very justified and I agree that the 'lock in' situation was terribly cheesy, but is thankfully saved by the believability of the characters and sumptous artwork. The art is particuarlly gorgeous in this volume, perfectly conveying complex emotions with out dialogue and as always beautifully depicting turn of the century London in all its realistic detail. God, I love this series. : )
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:35 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for mail since I read about it...somewhere. I had forgotten about it but here it is!

good column. although it seems as if the Emma novels got reviewed close together...oh well. its not that big of a deal- just wished it had been something different and new in its place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I've been waiting for mail since I read about it...somewhere. I had forgotten about it but here it is!

good column. although it seems as if the Emma novels got reviewed close together...oh well. its not that big of a deal- just wished it had been something different and new in its place.

Aren't the reviews done around the time the manga are published? Emma vol.1 was released in September, and vol.2 in December. So it's not that close together, really. Death Note and others are released only two months apart, after all. Smile

I had forgotten about Mail as well (wasn't it mentioned here on ANN? I think we're remembering the same thing) and might give it, and perhaps Life, a try.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:12 am Reply with quote
I really need to get Emma. I do have some holiday bonus saved up with Borders, so maybe I'll give it a try. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
barbapapa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
Oh wow! Noramimi reviewed... that's a shocker all right, people actually know about this gem.
forever_young

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:24 pm Reply with quote
What about Bastard!!

haha, great title.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
barbapapa wrote:
Oh wow! Noramimi reviewed... that's a shocker all right, people actually know about this gem.

Yeah, that suprised me as well. It really is quite a charming little series, though I agree that its best digested in small doses. It probobly is a perfect fit for Ikki as a break from the heavier titles (though there's a bit to ponder over in Noramimi if you really want to look).

Quote:
Another glowing review for my beloved Emma! And from a man, no less. Very Happy

Actually it was serialized in a seinen anthology, so men would probobly be the primary target in the first place (unless Comics Beam has a huge female minority readership, which is possible; still, I know plenty of guys, myself included, who love this title).
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I believe Emma the manga goes past the anime version so I'll definetely be buying the manga once it comes to a local store.

As for LIFE it started a little weak and a little silly but wow with the events in volume 2 you got it right with saying it could be a horror series. It can be too much but at the same time it does feel realsitic making it even more powerful. I really hope after all the crap the poor girl goes through that this series has a happy ending.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha... I knew it was serialized in a seinen anthology (Emma is a めいど after all ;- ), but outside of Japan it is definitely seen as a female title, and try as I might to convince the almost entirely male members of my local manga club they refuse to believe me when I say it's meant to be enjoyed by them as well as women. My online Victorian Romance Emma fanclub is almost all female as well, so really it is surprising to me that an American man would embrace it so wholeheartedly. A very pleasant surprise, to be sure. Very Happy
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I was wandering if Mail was good or not too.Anime smile
smoochy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Whats your criteria for the manga you review, do you choose series you pick up during the week, or do you have a backlog of manga or something?
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
Whats your criteria for the manga you review, do you choose series you pick up during the week, or do you have a backlog of manga or something?

It's usually a mix-and-match of various sources:
1) review copies sent through editorial
2) review copies direct from publisher
3) saw it browsing at the bookstore and was interested
4) been following the series regularly and wanted to highlight it

My main rule is that the street date be about plus-or-minus 1.5 months of when the column goes up. (I think my review of Emma Vol. 1 was the laggiest, being in a November column when it was printed in late September. So yeah, 1 and 2 were reviewed rather close to each other, and I know it too. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop )
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
I am very glad that Life could get some exposure. This is truly a great psychological and suspenseful series. If you can get hooked on this one, you won't stop reading it. Trust me, I read volumes 1-12 in the course of 2 1/2 hours.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I bought the first two volumes of Life some time ago from Right Stuf on a blind buy; something just told me that it would be worth my time. Unfortunately, circumstances (read school, work, massive DVD backlogs to watch) have kept me from reading it yet. However, it seems my hunch was right (and am glad I followed gut feeling).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1