• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Unhappy Families

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the whole, what is in the basement bit of AOT is what really stopped my enjoyment of the show. It would of been much better if they just had unexplained mysteriousness. But the problem is you know exactly where the mysteriousness of this story comes from, as it makes pains to mention it every-so-often.

I can deal with something unexplained, but I always find it infuriatingly annoying when characters know exactly where the mystery is. Or at least it is revealed to the reader/watcher. Yet they conveniently do nothing about it for a long time, because they gotta make the story go on longer. And the problem is it builds anticipation so much, that the reveal is often less satisfying in the end; is that all there was?

Blood Lad meanwhile falls victim to my other pet annoyance. Ongoing manga syndrome. Wink
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think the whole, what is in the basement bit of AOT is what really stopped my enjoyment of the show. It would of been much better if they just had unexplained mysteriousness. But the problem is you know exactly where the mysteriousness of this story comes from, as it makes pains to mention it every-so-often.

It is about the journey, not the destination.

If anyone else has such a big hang ups about such obvious plot McGuffins, there are many pieces of media that just aren't going to work for ya'.
That said, the latest arc of episodes involving the Female Titan have for me been the best portions of AoT, with the so called "mystery" being a minor thing (in comparison to the events at hand) because undoubtedly it will be an underwhelming answer.
sainta

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
You know, watching episode 23 of Shingeki made go back to the first episodes and check if they hinted it. Not only they hinted it but I realized something that we might not see until next season.

Episode 10 of Silver Spoon was painful. Not that it was bad but Hachiken's hardships were really sad. He gets better but what he does could traumatize anybody.
terminus24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
The Female Titan's identity didn't come as much of a shock to me, but that's because her Human/Titan forms look somewhat similar, while Eren was (slightly) more surprising because it looked nothing like Eren.
Still not a big fan of AoT, though, mainly because it's too slow for my taste and what everyone was saying was making me expect another Elfen Lied (Which I loved and highly recommend), which it isn't.
But, to each his own, if AoT is for you, then by all means, enjoy it.

Anyways, my rankings for shows airing this season:

1. Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen
2. A Certain Scientific Railgun S
3. Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya
4. Hyperdimendion Neptunia
5. Watamote
6. Attack on Titan
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I've been getting a pretty good draw this season. Watamote has been a consistent ass-kicker (and I'll be sad to see it go tomorrow), and I've enjoyed Day Break Illusion, with Dog and Scissors being very entertaining despite the troublesome premise and nothing really being resolved plotwise. I'm honestly kinda surprised how many people decided to roll their eyes at its insanity and the misery heaped on certain characters; while I do get how nuttiness isn't quite as tolerated (I've been somewhat desensitized to the effed up thanks to life of Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry) I'd think peoples' tolerance for mean-spirited jokes would be higher, since misery is one of the indisputable building blocks of comedy. Still, can't really say Fantasista Doll has really grabbed me that much, though this week's show was at least interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I was puzzled by this comment from Bamboo:

"For those who have been following along with [The Eccentric Family], the final episode is daring and wonderful."

Have you seen an early release of the final episode? Both Crunchyroll and all the "other" versions only extend through episode twelve. There's one more episode after this.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
*not looking at any discussion of Attack on Titan because I've been waiting until the first season finished to start it...*

Okay, so, what am i looking forward to next season? Well, I still have most of two years of anime to catch up on, so even if there's nothing, I'm set! As for new stuff:

Coppelion: one of my friends, whose opinion I trust, really liked the manga, so I'm checking this one out.

Kyousogiga: the quirky animation caught my eye, I just hope watching the ONAs isn't necessary to understand it (and if they are, that they are streamed as well).

Kill La Kill: same team who did Gurren Lagann, so.

Samurai Flamenco: same director as Baccano!, Durarara!!, Jellyfish Princess, Natsume's Book of Friends, and Hell Girl (even Koi Kaze was well-directed, I just despise the story), so I have hopes for this one - please don't let them be dashed!

None of these have me super excited, and I'm hoping for a few surprises - Galilei Donna, maybe? That will depend on whether the girls are well-rounded characters or stupid cliches.
Hybridbloodszak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I was puzzled by this comment from Bamboo:

"For those who have been following along with [The Eccentric Family], the final episode is daring and wonderful."

Have you seen an early release of the final episode? Both Crunchyroll and all the "other" versions only extend through episode twelve. There's one more episode after this.

I've been seeing a lot of people around the web saying this too. The places I frequent have been saying since the beginning of the series that it's 13 episodes not 12.

Do people think that was the end because they played the credits the way they did? Because right after they did a traditional "Next Time" episode preview with the last episode being called "Eccentric Family"

Last edited by Hybridbloodszak on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:

It is about the journey, not the destination.

If anyone else has such a big hang ups about such obvious plot McGuffins, there are many pieces of media that just aren't going to work for ya'.

The thing with AoT is that the journey isn't really all that interesting after where the anime ends, and the only thing Isayama gives us, the reader/watcher, to continue on are more stupid mysteries that he piles on top of each other. None of the characters are all that interesting and the artwork is quite bad (at least in the manga). Prepare yourself for disappointment with the next season.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching quite a few series this season (well, quite a few for me), 5 anime and RWBY. I picked up two after Bamboo's last The Stream - one that hadn't even been on my radar (unforgiveable) and one that I've been thinking about for a while.

1. The Eccentric Family - I agree 100% with everything Bamboo's said about this series. My absolute favorite this season. It's a really heart-warming show about family and connections built and twisted by tragedy. The characters are all intriguing in their own ways. This series has remained understated, yet strong the entire season, and I can't wait to watch the last episode.

2. Gatchaman Crowds - The show that was not even on my radar until the last few weeks. I zoomed through these episodes like BAM! I love the musings on heroism, I love the action, I love the characters, I love the writing, I love the energy. It's a really fun show, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they end it.

3. RWBY - Another fun, awesome fighting series (of course, the animation and CG aren't as smooth as Gatchaman Crowds). The characters, humor, and action really help sell this series. The only pitfall is the episode lengths.

4. Attack on Titan - I really like the manga, and I really like the anime despite how overdramatic and repetitious it can be at times. (Actually, I'm a pretty big sucker on those dramatic, music-blaring, energy building moments... I normally get caught up in them pretty easily. So, despite recognizing how overdone they are, I still like 'em).

5. Free! - Silly, fun fanservice show with actually a decent amount of writing. The highlight is the shipping character interactions though. My yaoi goggles have been permanently in place the entire season. Wink

6. Watamote - I've only seen the first 4 episodes of this, but I like what I've seen. It's equal parts humorous, heartfelt (either heart-breaking or occasionally heart-warming), and cringe-inducing. I think I spent at least 5 minutes on episode 3 with the show muted. That was so tough and awful to get through. And, honestly, there are times where I just can't sympathize with Tomoko. And then there are other times where I just want to give her a hug. The humor can be pretty dead on, at least - the first and second episodes were pretty good, and the second half of episode 4 was hilarious. I guess, for me, the show is cute and funny, and Tomoko has her moments, but it's a bit repetitive with its "making fun of the social outcast who isn't really learning from her mistakes." Which, yes, is the selling point of the series, but Tomoko staying mostly stagnant doesn't really interest me as much (the same reason I don't really care for sitcoms... it's the same jokes and the characters don't really grow). It has its ups and downs, but I'm still looking forward to more.

I also want to eventually watch Silver Spoon and C3-bu.

Overall, a pretty good season. I'm pleased.

Last edited by Crisha on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lilly_938

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Day Break Illusion, it's not Seira who's feelings are confirmed for Akari, but Luna's.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The Stream wrote:
the events with Ginka have shook the team, especially Seira, who feels especially traumatized and vulnerable.

Luna, not Seira.

The Stream wrote:

I wouldn't say that it's necessarily resolved in the most graceful way, but the entire character arc tries its best to add a deeper element to a show that at the end of the day is just about a group of gals having fun with their pals.

I liked the idea of Yura's character arc, but the execution left something to be desired after the tournament, and the way it was resolved was just bad. Also showed some real wasted potential with what happened at in the last few minutes of 12.

terminus24 wrote:

Still not a big fan of AoT, though, mainly because it's too slow for my taste and what everyone was saying was making me expect another Elfen Lied (Which I loved and highly recommend), which it isn't.
But, to each his own, if AoT is for you, then by all means, enjoy it.

I think the show works much better marathoned, especially the latter half (which, in fact, I marathoned last week).
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this season was really weak for me. The only thing I stuck with was Il Sole, which I do think is very good.

next season looks like it has a lot more potential.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Yep, Eccentric Family is still my number one as well. it's just excellent in every way. Gatchaman isn't a personal favourite, but I think I have to put it at number two. Watamote and Kiniro Mosaic are the ones I probably enjoyed the most. Watamote had some wonderful visuals. I agree with everything you said about Kiniro Mosaic except the rating. Finishing up the series, I realised I didn't even particularly like any of the characters; it was the quality of the humour and cuteness in their interactions alone. That's good writing right there, and I think Kiniro Mosaic has been one of the best moe nonsense shows in years for being down to earth, painfully adorable, legitimately sweet and just good. The last episode's first half was wonderfully emotional and brought back the storybook loveliness that got me in the first episode, and the second was hilarious, fun, hugely indulgent of the show's fantastic soundtrack and just wonderful.

Silver Spoon remained great. Teekyuu remained consistent. Monogatari remained Monogatari. I liked Yura's story in C3-bu, but agree that it was wrapped up kind of weakly. I felt the character drama in Rozen Maiden was much better than the doll stuff, so my opinion's dropped a bit on that one. I think Tamayura got a bit better as it went on. I agree that Sunday Without God was ultimately better than its first few episodes. I liked the new girls, but I thought Hato's story, while interesting, was a bit bloated and dragging. I thought Madarame's story was explored well and neatly, on top of being interesting. I liked the latest section in Genshiken a lot. Yami Shibai and Servant x Service are still pretty good. I enjoyed Prisma Illya, but I never thought it was amazing. Same with Free!, although that at least has great animation to enjoy. Same with Love Lab, although I think the friendship between Riko and Maki has been done very well. I've placed the second season of Ro-Kyu-Bu a level above the first for a consistent focus on basketball, character and teamwork. The first had some potential there, but it was more clichéd and constantly sidetracked by loli nonsense. I thought there was sloppily-handled potential in Day Break Illusion, and I'm glad that it seems to be coming together a bit more. I agree that Blood Lad was competent but felt aimless.

I think I'll cut off there in the interests of brevity, and say that I'm looking forward to Kill la Kill and Kuroko's Basketball season 2 and hope that Valvrave can continue to be pleasantly insane in its second season. I'm also intrigued by the PV for Coppelion.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Love Lab still is, by far and away, my favorite show of the season. It takes standard cute-girls-doing-cute-things norms and stomps them into the ground. It's an all-female main cast that isn't yuri and isn't asexual, the main girls all want to develop methods and mannerisms that they can use to attract boys, well other than the girl who already has a boyfriend at least. It teases yuri (so much so that Zac was 100% fooled as to the future direction of the show in the preview guide) but then halfway through introduces male characters as love interests for each of the girls. And what I found shocking is that nearly everybody has agreed in unison that the show improved after the guys were added. That takes a ton of effort to switch around otaku opinion like that. It's based on a 4koma manga and yet each episode weaves expertly right into the next that for the most part you probably couldn't tell. And the amount of effort put forth by the animation crew is enormous. Dogakobo went beyond the extra mile when it came to animating this show and it's evident by the multitude of GIFs that fans have made for Love Lab.

Really disappointed that you didn't get to watch it Bamboo, especially now that all the episodes (except the last) are on Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4