• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Madoka Magica Film's Next Promo Features Brand New Footage

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jet_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:40 am Reply with quote
I want to get off Mr. Urobuchi's Wild Ride of Suffering.
It's going to be really fun avoiding spoilers for the next couple of months..
Also, translation of what's said in the PV..
chidori3souske

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
Sigh...the wait is suffering and add more suffering cause it won't be released here in the Philippines Sad I'll just wait and buy the Blu-Rays...
sarroush

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:44 am Reply with quote
If Homura doesn't get a somewhat happy ending, I'm going to cry ;____;
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
jet_ wrote:
I want to get off Mr. Urobuchi's Wild Ride of Suffering.
It's going to be really fun avoiding spoilers for the next couple of months..
Also, translation of what's said in the PV..

...That translation is SO wrong in some places. It's obvious the translator has no understanding of what the meaning behind the words are.
I usually give my own translation on these videos, anyway, so here's mine, along with some specification on terms/wording and even some speculation, due to the Japanese wording of the lines:

Homura (narration): "There are those who wish for hope, take on a curse, and continue fighting."
[The Magical Girls'...]
Homura (narration): "They are Magical Girls."
[...cruel fates...]
Homura (narration): "We will continue the fight."
[...do not end]

[A newly completed production]

Mami: "Do you think you can beat someone on the same level as me?"
Homura: "If this is all you've got, then I won't lose!"
Sayaka: "Do you intend to escape into your time [stop] again?"
*Kyouko: "Is this some kind of illusion or something?"
[In a world without Madoka, did something happen to the girls?]
Homura: "Using such a roundabout way out... What in the world is your intention?"

Homura: "Why... tell me... do I..."
**Kyouko: "You... no way...!"
Sayaka: "All of us who are reaching our limits... Even I want to sympathize."
***Mami: "Someday, the 'law of cycles' that leads us will..."
****Homura: "I was supposed to be the only one who remembers..."
[Dreams, reality, past, future, hope, despair]
Kyuubey: "Even though you don't want to know the truth, you can't help but chase after it. This thing called "human curiosity" is quite irrational, isn't it."
Madoka: "You mustn't [let yourself] be left alone, Homura-chan."
[The story heads toward a new conclusion]

Translation notes and speculation, based on wording:
* "koitsu" is referring to either a thing or a person/monster/something living"--I'm going to guess it's a Nightmare/Witch, as that's when the most bizarre, reality-shifting stuff happens in the series/movie, to my knowledge.
** The line could be translated as "You couldn't have...!" or "You couldn't be...!," but it's vague enough that we can't exactly figure out if she's surprised about the other person/thing's identity or something they did/will do.
*** The "law of cycles" is what Mami called the new laws of the universe that dictate that Magical Girls disappear when they use up all their magic at the end of the TV show. There's no indication in this wording that she knows of Madoka's existence yet.
**** "I was supposed to be..." <-- interesting wording, if you ask me. She's very obviously hinting that she is no longer the only one who remembers, so either the other girls are starting to remember or a new character appeared who remembered, or something of the sort.

The reason so much is vague is probably just to present mysteries to the viewer of the ad to get them more interested in and hyped for the movie.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks as always for your translation work, Juno! I'm happy that even with all the fragments of scenes and dialogue that have been shown, there's still a bunch of contextual mysteries and secrets left to see.

I think this may be the first trailer to have really gotten me excited at what's going to be going on in the next installment of the franchise. Since wistfully reading facebook updates about all the out-of-town theaters the first two movies were being shown at earlier this year, I've paid only cursory attention to Madoka stuff-- and with the premiere of the third film coming up, maybe I should continue keeping my attention that limited for the sake of spoiler-avoidance. However, being reminded of the potential greatness that lies in Rebellion with this new trailer won't make enduring such avoidance any easier! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Thanks as always for your translation work, Juno! I'm happy that even with all the fragments of scenes and dialogue that have been shown, there's still a bunch of contextual mysteries and secrets left to see.

I think this may be the first trailer to have really gotten me excited at what's going to be going on in the next installment of the franchise. Since wistfully reading facebook updates about all the out-of-town theaters the first two movies were being shown at earlier this year, I've paid only cursory attention to Madoka stuff-- and with the premiere of the third film coming up, maybe I should continue keeping my attention that limited for the sake of spoiler-avoidance. However, being reminded of the potential greatness that lies in Rebellion with this new trailer won't make enduring such avoidance any easier! Anime hyper

Yeah. Though, in actuality, most of these mysteries (and many of the lines themselves) were presented in previous trailers. For this movie, the trailers and TV specials seem to be more shockingly mysterious than revealing. For instance, in a semi-recent TV special, there's a really bizarre scene that should be normal, but anyone who knows the end of the TV series knows there's nothing right in the scene at all (all spoiler tags in this post come from official pre-release information and trailers): spoiler[It shows Madoka, Sayaka, and Kyouko walking to school together in Mitakihara school uniforms. First off, Kyouko is, as we've seen elsewhere, in the school uniform, talking to them like they're close friends. This means that her entire life background, even before the TV series' events (including episode 10), was altered. Second, Sayaka is there. This gives us the possibility that this could be some alternate reality... or it WOULD, if it weren't for MADOKA being there. You know, the title character who was ERASED FROM EXISTENCE FROM ALL ALTERNATE REALITIES AND TIMELINES.]
And then there are the things in this trailer, one of which proves what I, among others, deduced: spoiler[The return of Charlotte, either as a Witch or maybe even a Nightmare. Before this trailer, people speculated Charlotte's involvement in the plot, thanks to the doll in Mami's arms, Nagisa's character design's resemblance to Charlotte's design, and the appearance of an InuCurry-illustrated Nightmare (or Witch?) design in the background of the pre-order movie tickets that looks a lot like Charlotte. Thanks to this trailer, we now know we were right.] =P
Expias

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I keep watching these scenes over and over again...

spoiler[We see lots of images of the witches, Sayaka's witch form, Charlotte, etc... Nightmares or Witches? Also, I can't get the image of CHarlotte spiralling down at me out of my eyes.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1