• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese, World Manga Nominated for 2007 Eisner Awards

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping Viz would push for Phoenix, but maybe they thought Kirihito would win...
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I always love to see Dramacon get recognition so I'm thrilled to see it on the list. I don't really know much about any of the other titles.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
OEL manga makin' a bigger impact. Twisted Evil
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I always love to see Dramacon get recognition so I'm thrilled to see it on the list. I don't really know much about any of the other titles.

I'm always glad too. It really surprised me. It was a lot better than I would've thought. I'm looking forward to her other new series as well (the one that's going with Yen Press if memory serves). I really like her drawing style. Glancing at her webcomic, she's really improved in the art department.

Glad to see Monster on that list as well, as it deserves all the recognition it can get.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
YES, Monster. It long deserves some recognition.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping that Monster wins at least one of the nominations given that something like this could help raise the title's profile and, hopefully, finally give someone a better reason to bring the anime over...

I really have my fingers crossed for this one.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I was hoping Viz would push for Phoenix, but maybe they thought Kirihito would win...

They've really never pushed it before, even the year when Karma came out and they could have easily beat Buddha, so I can't say I'm surprised. Good to see Monster on there though even if Drifting Classroom deserves the praise more.

As for other nominations, I'm really happy Japan as Viewed by 17 Creators is getting attention. In a just world it would win best anthology (wouldn't mind Kramer's getting it, but it'll probably be Fables yet again Rolling Eyes ) The judges for these things must be pretty clueless if they're nominating the two-year-old Walking Man (especially with the superior Taniguchi project Times of Botchan out), but whatever, at least it deserves the nod. I'm really hoping Abandon the Old in Tokyo wins best collection, but it'll probably be Sandman (not a bad thing except it collects the weaker part of the series and its already one eight bajillion awards).

Also interesting to see OEL creators getting nominated. I could think of a dozen new comics that deserved to be nominated over East Coast Rising , but whatever, it's decent (Criminal has this one down though). Ross Campbell and Chmakova certainly deserve more attention, though Hope Larson definitely deserves it over anyone else.

As for the non-manga nominations, surprisingly good this year compared with usual. I mean I expected Fun Home to get lots of recognition, but its really cool to see stuff like Shadowland, Ninja and Billy Hazelnuts (see avatar) get attention. Most of the superhero books are really good as well (The New Frontier is just beautiful). But I do have some problems: how the hell did Kampung Boy get snubbed? I mean the only explanation I can think of is no one on the panel has read it. Just astounding. Some other nitpicks, but that one is a real screw-job.

Last edited by Kagemusha on Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:

Good to see Monster on there though even if Drifting Classroom deserves the praise more.

Ah man, I read the first volume of that one and it was so BALLIN'

I wish I was collecting it... but, I'm really only doing Monster and Crying Freeman right now...

I need to get back into it.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quote
East Coast Rising does not deserve a nomination. I have the Project X: Ramen Cup still sitting on my shelf I haven't got around to reading it. I was fascinated to find a book on the history of Ramen noodles.

Kagemusha wrote:

But I do have some problems: how the hell did Kampung Boy get snubbed? I mean the only explanation I can think of is no one on the panel has read it. Just astounding. Some other nitpicks, but that one is a real screw-job.

I read that at my library a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. It was nice to learn about Muslim culture. maybe because it's more of a storybook than a comic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I read that at my library a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. It was nice to learn about Muslim culture. maybe because it's more of a storybook than a comic?

I guess that could be technicality, though it shares enough visual and narrative similarities with traditional comics to warrant a nomination (even has some speech bubbles). But it still could have been nominated for Best Comics-related book like the Sandman book illustrated by Amano was. Ah well, that's what the Harveys are for.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, I'm really surprised that After School Nightmare made it on the list. If anything, ASN is a seriously underappreciated title by manga fans. I just brought Vol. 3 today and boy rarely I hate the 3 month wait between volumes. I really hope that it'll win and bring some people into reading the title.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:38 am Reply with quote
Hi. I'm the guy that always complains that saying 'OEL' or 'world' or 'global' 'manga' is 99% BS. They're graphic novels. Nothing more.

Then again, saying All Star Superman is a 'Continuing Series' is kinda a joke too. It is amazing, but damn the book is delayed all the time. So the terms aren't all 100% anyway.

Not that the Eisners make any distintion with manga for these American books. These are comics awards in America and these are American comics. They're printed in volumes instead of serially . Most manga, like Monster or even One Piece isn't printed in volumes first.

Anyway, my two cents. Contrats to everyone who got nominated. The Eisners are a big deal. Eisner is to America almost to what Tezuka is to Japan. Sadly, it seems he doesn't get as much reconition by fans. Then again, I just came back from an anime con (in the US) filled with too many young fans who likley don't know who Tezuka is.

Seriously, if you don't know who Will Eisner or Osamu Tezuka is, LOOK THEM UP NOW.

As for East Coast Rising, I love it. Yet I don't really see it fitting that category too well. Plus her work on American Virgin is just as good if not better. (Though she didn't write that.) Still, East Coast Rising is a damn good and fun book. Also, I'm rooting for Criminal because that book was amazing and really got to me. (Highly recomended for anyone who likes crime comics or old crime noir films.) Still, I love Becky Cloonan's stuff. Met her at Otakon one year in artist alley.

It's actually kinda nice to see Antique Bakery, a shonen ai title it seems, has been nominated for an Eisner.

As for Monster, I love that it's up for Best Continuiing as well as Forign Reprint - Japan. Though All Star Superman, Daredevil, The Walking Dead, and even Young Avengers are also amazing. It's tough to decide between them.

It's interesting to see Japan get its own category. I agree with it. The market just has too many Japanese books for it to just be in the blanet of forign. It helps to give room for non-Japanese
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
*rubs eyes* I'm going blind, I tell you.

The Xenos wrote:
It's actually kinda nice to see Antique Bakery, a shonen ai title it seems, has been nominated for an Eisner.

Antique Bakery is not shonen-ai, it's shoujo. It won the Kodansha Manga Award for shoujo 2002, and I'm absolutely over the moon about the fact that it's nominated.

For those not familiar with Antique Bakery - it's a slice of life comedy about four guys working in a bakery and their customers. It's character and situation comedy, and while it can address some serious issues at times it never takes itself seriously. Word of warning though, do not read this manga when hungry - it's got very detailed descriptions of the wonderful cakes they serve and reading it has caused me to run off to buy sweets in unusual times... Yoshinaga is also known for lot of her BL manga, but although one of the main characters is gay in Antique Bakery this is full shoujo - but with big crossover appeal, I know lots of guys who absolutely love this.

This is one of my all time favourite manga Anime smile I know it doesn't have a chance in hell for actually winning, but a nomination is half a victory. I hope it will raise some awareness for this charming piece of work.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:34 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Hi. I'm the guy that always complains that saying 'OEL' or 'world' or 'global' 'manga' is 99% BS. They're graphic novels. Nothing more.

What a coincidence, I'm that guy, too! Razz

The Xenos wrote:
As for East Coast Rising, I love it. Yet I don't really see it fitting that category too well. Plus her work on American Virgin is just as good if not better. (Though she didn't write that.) Still, East Coast Rising is a damn good and fun book. Also, I'm rooting for Criminal because that book was amazing and really got to me. (Highly recomended for anyone who likes crime comics or old crime noir films.) Still, I love Becky Cloonan's stuff. Met her at Otakon one year in artist alley.

While I haven't read East Coast Rising, I will say that her work in American Virgin is mindbogglingly good. I can't imagine how anyone could lump her in with manga, though. Is she manga simply because Tokyopop released her book? Because there's nothing even remotely manga-style about her artwork...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Oldboy!!! Yes! One of my favorite new manga releases after seeing the masterful film. I'm extremely happy with some of the titles chosen, especially works like Ode to Kirihito, which deserves all the attention it can get.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2