• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Super Mario 3D World

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I'd be interested to know exactly what the situation is with multiplayer controls - if I'm remembering right, New Super Mario Bros/U didn't like letting you mix & match controllers.

Example: I have a Gamepad and two Wiimotes, yet only the Wiimotes will be recognised in multiplayer mode thus limiting me to two players at a time when I ~want~ 3. Does 3D World also do this?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I guess Heidi never saw the two big trailers that came out in the last few months that had alleviated most people's concerns and made us go, "oh right, this is the team that did Mario Galaxy 2, what were we worried about?" Not criticizing, just saying most of us were expecting a solid game based on what we saw recently.

Also, about the multiplayer, I think chaos is the appeal for a lot of us. Rayman Origins/Legends, New Super Mario Bros Wii/U, and Kirby: Return to Dreamland can get pretty nuts when played with four people and that's part of the fun. Now, I could understand a few hardcore players getting frustrated if other players are pushing ahead without checking for secret areas and the like, but if that's the issue just play everything solo first and then revisit with friends. I've got the game pre-ordered, will pick it up Friday when it comes out, and am bringing it straight over to my friends so we can all have fun together (and occasionally curse at each other Smile ).

The only game where I think they went too far in the chaos with local four player co-op was Dragon's Crown, most of the characters/enemies were designed too large and take up too much screen space so half the time you can't see your character at all! This is not the case with the other platformers I listed.

Anywhoo, I'm looking forward to this awesome game.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Also, about the multiplayer, I think chaos is the appeal for a lot of us.

Multiplayer Mario is really one of those games where I feel rewarded from the lack of productivity...

What makes me really look forward to this game is that I now get to enjoy the trolling with an extra dimension.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
multiplayer adds nothing of value

Um, aside from allowing you to play and have fun with other people you mean? This is quite possibly the stupidest negative point I have ever seen for anything....
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 am Reply with quote
I'm still a bit uncertain; Mario 3D Land for the 3DS was disappointing to me. I just didn't get much out of it. I loved Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 to death, and I know they worked on this one, but I'm still a little iffy on this since it is in the same line of 3D Land. I mean I know this got an A, but the 3DS one got great reviews as well, and yet a ton of people that I know found it to be subpar as well.
RacattackForce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I'd be interested to know exactly what the situation is with multiplayer controls - if I'm remembering right, New Super Mario Bros/U didn't like letting you mix & match controllers.

Example: I have a Gamepad and two Wiimotes, yet only the Wiimotes will be recognised in multiplayer mode thus limiting me to two players at a time when I ~want~ 3. Does 3D World also do this?
No, the Gamepad counts as a controller in multiplayer, though only Player One can use it, obviously. You can mix and match players 2 thru 4 as much as you want, though.
Space Butler XIII

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:56 am Reply with quote
My roommate and I just finished playing this game for about 4 hours, and having 2 players can allow for some great teamwork. We haven't come across anything particularly intricate that absolutely requires 2 people in order to work, but even just having someone lay down some cover fire can make all the difference in the world. Plus it's always good to have a second person around to help with some of the problem solving.

Fantastic game, by the way. Can't wait to get in some 4-player chaos.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm seriously going to buy a Wii U for this, it looks gorgeous and super fun. The fact that an ANN game reviewer gave it a recommendation makes me all the more excited to play it.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
RacattackForce wrote:
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

No, the Gamepad counts as a controller in multiplayer, though only Player One can use it, obviously. You can mix and match players 2 thru 4 as much as you want, though.

Thanks! I'll go ahead an grab this as soon as possible then~
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
the game is pure, distilled joy in physical form. It proves how Nintendo is on a completely different level than everyone else
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I want this game so badly but I have no money so I have to wait until Christmas in order to get it :C
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1