• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bubblegum Crisis Kickstarter Meets Stretch Goal

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:28 am Reply with quote
Now let's hope Black Jack meets it's goal at AnimeSols Shocked
http://animesols.com/videos/61
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
It's really awesome to see that this got funded and that the folks involved are so excited to bring this proect to life. Some of the additional work put in by some of the backers has been nothing short of amazing.

Robert has also been very good at keeping the backers apprised of what is going on from the producting side of things and in putting his own money up if certain goals are met (in order to keep more of the $ raised dedicated towards goodies for the backers).
Ghostless

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy for you guys who will enjoy this release.

That being said, I would much rather have new material of preferably AD Police or BGC

1. I'm astonished at what this thing costs
2. Wonder why anime studios don't use kickstarters for more quality oriented production?
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy their doing this. I was introduced to hardcore anime because of the original Bubblegum Crisis.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:46 pm Reply with quote
This is really great news. I was thinking of this series over the weekend. I'm really glad this title got saved and that new fans will get a chance to look back at an 80's classic. I know that a BD version is really going to look nice on a HDTV with some good sound. Oh man BGC was my life.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't think many of the pledges were new fans looking back so much as old fans knowing exactly what they want and paying for it. Is this even going to have a normally solicited release, or are they doing limited batches? They FAQ gives a "maybe, in the future". So if it's not widely available, it's not doing any kind of service except to those already familiar and in love with it.
rydia251

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo: I have to agree with you here.

I am a backer, and BGC was one of the first anime I saw 20+ years ago when I was a teenager, along with Crash, AD Police, and of course Robotech. I cannot imagine that many of the backers are new fans or those not familiar with the franchise. Wow, I suddenly feel old...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I shouldn't have said old fans, but more "fans already acquainted with BGC". That still entails that said fans are not averse to older anime and older designs, which isn't common among many who've entered the fandom for perhaps the last decade or half decade. Many people just simply don't look back.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
You just answered your question...

Most new fans by my experience do NOT look back.
(That also includes people of MY generation which is colloquially "Generation Three or Four" going by some arbitrary standard.

(Generation One = people who saw Astro Boy and Speed Racer in the 1960s
(Generation Two = people who saw Battle of the Planets or Star Blazers in the late 1970s and early 1980s
(Generation Three = the Voltron/Robotech crowd
(Generation Four = people who got into anime through the first commercial VHS releases in the early 1990s by CPM, Streamline Pictures, AnimEigo
(Technically, I could be classed as Gen Two since I saw BotP and SB when they were brand new but I REALLY got interested after seeing Robotech and remain a fan of that series and the Japanese originals to this day. Most people my age are Gen 3/4 anime fans.)

It's unfortunate that most people will NOT look at shows older than when they got interested in a genre. How many people are really students of anything nowadays? Most human beings by my observation are fairly superficial... I'm not condemning or faulting them, I'm just saying that as a statement of what I perceive.

Likewise, in the animation industry in the US, it's increasingly less and less likely you'll meet new animators who are more than passingly familiar with Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Tex Avery, Betty Boop, or Popeye.

Part of it is access to the material -- the old films don't get much play on TV anymore, and I lived through the last era where a lot of these films got play on television (1970s through early 1990s) --, part of it is a general bond to films and TV shows that THEY grew up with like Batman: TAS, Toy Story, etc., etc. Generally, the newer crowd is much more familiar with what's been on air/shown since the mid-1990s.

I'm kind of an anomaly as far as anime is concerned. I LIKE looking back at the older stuff -- when the material interests me. I'm not getting Princess Knight, for instance, but would be very likely to check out and see the original Cutey Honey (sampled it on YouTube and liked what I saw) or Lupin III.

BGC is still much newer than that stuff is. There's no excuse for anybody interested in quality animation with a story that's sci-fi to pass up this show. It's too bad they can spend money on a PS4 or XBox One this season but somehow a BD release that's still over a year release down the road is too expensive for these kids!

I just recently watched BGC again for the first time in over 10 years. The show's STILL as good as I remembered it being. I can't say that for many other series or movies! That's very true for most videogames, too...
FigNewton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:52 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

(Generation Two = people who saw Battle of the Planets or Star Blazers in the late 1970s and early 1980s
(Generation Four = people who got into anime through the first commercial VHS releases in the early 1990s by CPM, Streamline Pictures, AnimEigo

Just out of curiosity where did this originate?

Gen two/ three seem like the same thing to me.

ObOnTopic: 10 hours to go!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote
FigNewton wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

Just out of curiosity where did this originate?

Gen two/ three seem like the same thing to me.

Probably from the ol' "History of Anime" resources like:

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/animeResources/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1