• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Funi Like How?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, that opening music is going to give me nightmares for weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Neon Alley Moderator
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I hope Lance brings back his sound board.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Really not a fan of how they answered those questions regarding E7, Aesthica and Binbogami-ga. Formal announcements are pretty important and while the latter two are bad enough, acting like it's not a big deal to not do a formal announcement for something big like Eureka Seven is really ridiculous. Even worse is that they acknowledged both leaks for it and laughed about it. Really hoping this doesn't become a major trend for them because people shouldn't have to wait until the solicitations are out to know a release is coming.

Also a bit disappointed their not interested in dubbing any of the Bandai sub-only stuff though that's a little more understandable.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
So they refuse the standard operating procedure of the ENTIRE R1 anime industry and mock us when we discover a leak. What's wrong with this picture?

Sorry for making you guys do your jobs, FUNimation PR department.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
That comment about 2002 DVDs not being as good as newer ones - the main problem with Fruits Basket was probably the dual angles combined with the larger than normal episode count and some of Geneon's discs compare favourable against not only against more recent DVDs but sometimes even BDs.

rootsofjustice wrote:
So they refuse the standard operating procedure of the ENTIRE R1 anime industry

Since FUNimation is a large part of the entire R1 industry that doesn't compute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't think FUNimation has licensed a title that I was interested in since Minami-ke Tadaima in the start of the year, and I'm fairly certain that FUNi won't be putting that out on BD/DVD. The large share that they picked up are pretty much just for T&A/harem (Senran Kagura, Haganai Next, Date a Live, HS DxD, Freezing 2). Oh well, glad to hear that they're doing well and the numbers are meeting expectations for the most part.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
So they refuse the standard operating procedure of the ENTIRE R1 anime industry and mock us when we discover a leak. What's wrong with this picture?

For months upon months in the pretty recent past, a whole lot of Sentai Filmworks releases ended up getting discovered via solicitations. People seemed considerably less vexed about this back then. I suppose I can understand the difference in reactions, though. I guess that's the influence of expectations that Funi has managed to build up for itself over the years.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Really not a fan of how they answered those questions regarding E7, Aesthica and Binbogami-ga. Formal announcements are pretty important and while the latter two are bad enough, acting like it's not a big deal to not do a formal announcement for something big like Eureka Seven is really ridiculous. Even worse is that they acknowledged both leaks for it and laughed about it. Really hoping this doesn't become a major trend for them because people shouldn't have to wait until the solicitations are out to know a release is coming.

While I agree that Lance might have put a bit too much snark on his answer I'm going to have to side with him on this. Hell, I honestly miss the days (which were only a few years ago) when anime licensors "announced" anime licenses in less formal ways. For example, I believe Media Blasters revealed that they license rescued Moribito not through a formal announcement, but by hiding a promo in a Kite DVD which fans discovered after it came out. The reaction from fans was ecstasy, not annoyance that they didn't announce it formally. Before con announcements were the big thing fans would find out about new licenses partially through other releases, which was cool to see.

The discovery of Eureka Seven via the previews on a FUNimation DVD seemed like an awesome thing to do. To be fair, though, Lance could have answered a little more coyly, maybe by trying to say that they want to try to surprise fans by putting in previews for unannounced licenses (even if it's a boldfaced lie).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
If they don't dub the dub-less Bandai rescues, I won't be supporting those releases, primarily Trilogy and Abyss.

I already own the Bandai releases.
One thing to consider about that too is Bandai was already on their death bed with those two in particular. I wouldn't really say they were making good decisions at that point either.

Kind of a shame, really. They really fumbled a lot with those titles. Even if Funi were to actually dub those, I don't think they'd be able to get the original casts back. Getting the casts back for Black Lagoon was a miracle unto itself.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Intrigued that Justin saw fit to bring up Chromecast… I never know what to think about that device after the initial buzz died down, although the recent channels popping up on it (eg, Hulu) show that Google's still behind it. Personally, I have a Chromecast, Apple TV, and Roku, and the Chromecast almost never gets used, so when people bring it up like Justin did, I'm like "really? You still care about Chromecast, huh?"

Other interesting thing is that whereas every other OTT box supports Apple's HTTP Live Streaming quasi-standard, Chromecast doesn't: you either have to use Microsoft Smooth Streaming or MPEG-DASH. It's not a fatal problem, just one you have to throw money at (using Amazon Elastic Transcoder or Wowza to transcode/transmux). But it does make Chromecast just a bit more of a hassle for streaming providers.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Before CDs you'd get something like the disclaimer's background music by playing a 33 1/3 rpm vinyl LP at the 16 2/3 rpm setting; I assume there's a digital equivalent these days.

Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Christmas Song (Don't Be Late):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiNmVdFlIL4

Wikipedia -- Alvin and the Chipmunks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks

Wikipedia -- Gramophone record, The microgroove & vinyl era:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record#The_microgroove_.26_vinyl_era
fireaxe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was by far the less interesting Funi ANNCast I've listened to. Very little actual information, and a bunch of snarky retorts, had I known I probably would have skipped this episode.

@Zac If you can, and if the other party is interested, you should definitely invite the Viz folks twice a year. Because that episode sure was a LOT more fun to listen to than this last one...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
They slowed down the OP music, but it seemed like they sped up the interview. I couldn't catch a third of what they said (Zac and Justin were clear enough), and I had no idea that "Galeaf Time" was "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" until like the third time he said it.

What I could make out was somewhat informative though. Nice to hear something other than "physical media is dead" for a change. Smile
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
That music will be in my nightmares... Anime cry

Was really disappointed to hear about the sub-only Bandai releases not getting dubbed, especially Tales of the Abyss. It came out when Bandai was winding down and seemed like it got cheated a bit (though I know other titles didn't get any release). But for people that already bought it, it seems like without a dub, there's little incentive to double dip (I would double dip for a dub!) Still, I'm glad it will at least remain available in the R1 market.

Good show this week!
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Divineking wrote:

While I agree that Lance might have put a bit too much snark on his answer I'm going to have to side with him on this. Hell, I honestly miss the days (which were only a few years ago) when anime licensors "announced" anime licenses in less formal ways. For example, I believe Media Blasters revealed that they license rescued Moribito not through a formal announcement, but by hiding a promo in a Kite DVD which fans discovered after it came out. The reaction from fans was ecstasy, not annoyance that they didn't announce it formally. Before con announcements were the big thing fans would find out about new licenses partially through other releases, which was cool to see.

The discovery of Eureka Seven via the previews on a FUNimation DVD seemed like an awesome thing to do. To be fair, though, Lance could have answered a little more coyly, maybe by trying to say that they want to try to surprise fans by putting in previews for unannounced licenses (even if it's a boldfaced lie).

Then they should have just said "we wanted to try something new and it backfired a little" instead of "f**k you buddy, we do what we want."

Also their justification for their lack of full rights announcements for simulcasts is dreadful. They want us to go to their blog and social media outlets to do what exactly? All discussion of their simulcasts drop off to next to nothing as soon as they end on both the official and fan level. And even then on their Facebook page a majority of the time a conversation on an old show pops up it's "when is Show X coming out on DVD?" The discussion boards for each of these shows on FUNimation's official forum are pretty much dead (and most of them even were BEFORE the overhaul that deleted all of the posts there). Viewership on at least Hulu drops like a stone as soon as the show ends, and I assume it's the same way on the official site since there's no ranking or metrics to measure popularity there. I'm seriously drawing a blank as to why they just don't strike while the iron's still hot. If there's marketing data to prove me wrong I'd love to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4