• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Chihayafuru

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I really wish someone would license the anime for home video and pick-up the manga. This series really is a incredibly underrated gem.
rpgothic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I love this series so much that I did import these two volumes and so wish Kodansha would release some more bilingual editions or Kodansha USA would just license it for a western release

Also can Siren Visual in Australia please license Season 2 for DVD release (I imported there Season 1 boxsets and would love to have the complete series on my anime shelves)
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
the premise doesn't appeal but id give this a shot based on all the kind words from fellow manga fans.

Lets face it, it wouldn't be the first time I've started reading a manga thinking the plot sounds meh only to be surprised at how enjoyable to story is.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Another option for the fans out there would be to import the French version from Pika Edition. Sure you might not get everything that's being said, but I'm sure that for most people French is easier to decipher than Japanese!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that for all the love this series appears to have that no one has at least picked up the anime rights. It seems like a perfect fit for NISA. Does anyone know if the license for this is super expensive because it's so popular in Japan? I know shojo/josei is one of the riskier markets in America.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I'm surprised that for all the love this series appears to have that no one has at least picked up the anime rights. It seems like a perfect fit for NISA. Does anyone know if the license for this is super expensive because it's so popular in Japan? I know shojo/josei is one of the riskier markets in America.

International anime rights for Chihayafuru are held by Nippon Television Network (NTV), who has licensed TV series/films recently to NISA, Funimation, Sentai Filmworks, and Viz Media. The connections to get the series are present, however it's a risky show due to being very heavily Japanese, which hasn't tended to sell well in NA. NISA may bring it over, but they're the only ones who would take the risk due to how they release titles in NA.

Sadly, the manga is even more of a longshot due to its length and content (same reasons as anime).
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Chihayafuru is such an amazing series and it is a real shame that no US licensing company is willing to give it a shot.

Anyways I have the two bilingual editions and eventually I plan to import the anime from Australia. I have a bunch of other things I need to import from Siren Visual as well (not sure why Australia can license it but not the US.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Shaenon wrote:
What sets Chihayafuru apart isn't the unusual subject matter, although to a nerd of my stripes karuta is way more interesting to learn about than your standard CCG. It's that the manga is just so damn well-written.

This. This so much. I haven't read the manga, but the first season of the anime was practically flawless. The story, the characters, the surprisingly complex game mechanics of karuta, all were done superbly.

I must admit that when I heard about a josei card-battling manga I was perplexed and just plain baffled. I didn't think something so weird and esoteric could ever be good. But Japan has a knack for making weird stories that are also very well written, and Chihayafuru is a definitely a keeper.
ShalaKairos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I wake up every day and look for news that the Chihayafuru anime or manga has been licensed. -_-
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:30 pm Reply with quote
The comparison to Hikaru No Go really irks me. My biggest criticism on that manga was that you never really got to see the action happen in a match. Two characters would prepare to have a go match, the plot would suddenly cut to something or someone completely different, then cut back and the match was already over but you never got to see any of it happen. If I ever decide to invest in this series, I hope to see some actual karuta matches.

23+ volumes? Wow, pretty impressive.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
If I ever decide to invest in this series, I hope to see some actual karuta matches.

I don't know about the manga (I do have the first bilingual volume, but I haven't read it yet), but the anime spends a lot of time on karuta strategy and tactics (especially the second season).
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
The comparison to Hikaru No Go really irks me. My biggest criticism on that manga was that you never really got to see the action happen in a match. Two characters would prepare to have a go match, the plot would suddenly cut to something or someone completely different, then cut back and the match was already over but you never got to see any of it happen. If I ever decide to invest in this series, I hope to see some actual karuta matches.

23+ volumes? Wow, pretty impressive.

Well I read and love both and I actually think the similarity is a good one. That's not to say that they are completely the same. Chihayayfuru obviously has a romance element that HNG does not.

Also Karuta unlike Go is somewhat of a physical sport. No it is not baseball but there is a lot more movement you can show with Karuta compared to Go because you are throwing cards and getting up and down and the game does rely on speed.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I also keep hoping someone picks this manga up. I've watched a fair amount of the anime and loved it but I have a feeling the story would work even better in manga, because of the speed of its pacing.

If not, I might try out the French editions, which I've already started doing for Princess Jellyfish, since I don't have much hope in that being picked up for English release any time soon (though at least we did get a release for the anime).
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:12 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I also keep hoping someone picks this manga up. I've watched a fair amount of the anime and loved it but I have a feeling the story would work even better in manga, because of the speed of its pacing.

The manga is amazing or I should say the stuff that wasn't animated yet (still hoping for a 3rd season) is soooo good.

Of course I admit I am a bit biased in Chihayafuru's favor it is one of my favorite new ongoing series in the last couple years.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
I really wish someone would license the anime for home video and pick-up the manga. This series really is a incredibly underrated gem.

You read my mind, triple M.

I'm reminded of a certain internet meme...

Chihayafuru absolutely stole my heart and has yet to give it back. The characters alone make it a worthwhile series to get into, but add in--ridiculous as it sounds--the heart-pounding action of the karuta matches, and you have a true gem.
I've even considered the feasibility of buying the Australian DVDs and importing them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3