• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Handsome Girl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Merry Christmas everyone.

Justin wrote:
The very idea of a 15-year-old getting corporate funding to direct a feature film (and, more or less, pulling it off) is so far beyond the world I know that he could very well have an extra face where his penis should be, and the story would be no less believable. (And possibly better.)

Okay, you got me. This line had me laughing hysterically.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Reminds of my friend's reaction to pretty much any movie or TV show even tangentially connected to military themes after he enlisted in the army. "That's not regulation equipment!", "An NCO wouldn't be doing that!", "That's not a real military tactic!", etc, etc.

I suppose ignorance really can be bliss, sometimes.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
This sounds entertaining in the way that "Santa Claus Saves the Martians" was entertaining.

With most shoujo anime aimed primarily at younger audiences, you just have to throw logic out the door. Otherwise, you'll soon find yourself jaded that the prettiest girl in school is always the ditziest, and she's also the only one in the universe that can save us all with her special powers that she's going to fully master just in the nick of time. And she'll end up with the hottest hottie to have ever hottied (love that commercial with James Earl Jones), who also is some awesome and super rich prince too.

I guess my only question is - Where is the obligatory cute talking animal in all this? A shoujo anime without a mascot should simply not exist.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:
Reminds of my friend's reaction to pretty much any movie or TV show even tangentially connected to military themes after he enlisted in the army. "That's not regulation equipment!", "An NCO wouldn't be doing that!", "That's not a real military tactic!", etc, etc.

Indeed it can. It gets really hard to suspend disbelief when you know how things are actually done and it is clear that the people writing the anime haven't done the least bit of research on it. This isn't true only of anime, of course, but any sort of fictional work. I guess that's why it's such a relief whenever I see an anime that at least makes an attempt to be realistic about some things that are connected to real life matters. I mean, you hear about a lot of studios that go into exacting detail trying to recreate some RL location when they use it in their show, it would be nice if they showed that sort of gumption when it came to other matters.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Animated Yoshizumi, eh?
Well, there's this anime called Ultra Maniac.
The manga had an awesome story, characters and twists.
The anime director threw this all out the door to lengthen the series and made an utterly terrible adaptation. It is the anime adaptations of one of my favorite manga series that I would never want to own and would like to forget exists. -_-
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Animated Yoshizumi, eh?
The anime director threw this all out the door to lengthen the series and made an utterly terrible adaptation. It is the anime adaptations of one of my favorite manga series that I would never want to own and would like to forget exists. -_-

It's hard to "throw out" material that doesn't exist.

Scene: sometime in late 2002 or early 2003

Anime executive producer: "Take this manga that's only 40% complete and make a 26-episode series out of it."

Anime director: "But boss, there's only enough manga material for 13 episodes."

Executive producer: "If you don't do it, I'll fire you and find someone who will. We've got timeslots to fill here!"

Director: "Okay, I'll do it."
Graceful Nanami

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote
The Ultra Maniac manga is amazingly amazing, though. So charming.

It's funny because I do not like the Marmalade Boy manga. The anime, however, is a truly beautiful thing. Probably the best romance series of the 90s. I still own the technically horrible TokyoPop deluxe boxed sets. I'll probably never get rid of them because MB is just that special.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:04 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
mewpudding101 wrote:
Animated Yoshizumi, eh?

It's hard to "throw out" material that doesn't exist.

Scene: sometime in late 2002 or early 2003

Anime executive producer: "Take this manga that's only 40% complete and make a 26-episode series out of it."

Anime director: "But boss, there's only enough manga material for 13 episodes."

Executive producer: "If you don't do it, I'll fire you and find someone who will. We've got timeslots to fill here!"

Director: "Okay, I'll do it."

Indeed. Not just the director's fault, but also the GROUP that decided to do it. -_-;
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question for everyone here. I've never seen this before. Should I feel lucky I didn't see it or am I foolish for asking the question?
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I love the late-80s-early-90s fashion in Handsome Girl! It totally makes the short/series for me. The characters aren't as lovable as the ones you see in Marmalade Boy, Mint na Bokura, etc, but their mamas sure dress them funky!

Graceful Nanami wrote:
I still own the technically horrible TokyoPop deluxe boxed sets. I'll probably never get rid of them because MB is just that special.

Hahahah, the ones with the Comic Sans font all over everything? I TREASURED those boxes years ago. Wishing on every star that someone will relicense the series someday!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Redcrimson wrote:

Indeed it can. It gets really hard to suspend disbelief when you know how things are actually done and it is clear that the people writing the anime haven't done the least bit of research on it. This isn't true only of anime, of course, but any sort of fictional work. I guess that's why it's such a relief whenever I see an anime that at least makes an attempt to be realistic about some things that are connected to real life matters. I mean, you hear about a lot of studios that go into exacting detail trying to recreate some RL location when they use it in their show, it would be nice if they showed that sort of gumption when it came to other matters.

Hey, a friend was in a tank in Baghdad, so it was fun and educational watching Girls und Panzer with all of us together. Laughing

Ah, the days of one-shot OVAs....... Don't recall anything from Handsome Girl, but some one-shots popular enough got turned into full-fledged TV series like Kodocha.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
I've been wondering about Handsome Girl and Ultra Maniac for some time now, at least I finally know what's up with those.

It's a shame to hear neither anime series is good, considering I loved (and own) both the anime and manga of Marmalade Boy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1