• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kuroko's Basketball Incidents Suspect Gives Message to 2chan Users

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
No he's not a Korean he's just a psychopath lunatic
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
(sigh) Caring TOO MUCH about what complete strangers online have to say than one should. Rolling Eyes
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
It is often the first impulse of a community to blame an "outsider" for their ills.

This man is sick, that is the basic problem, it is up to the people there in Japan to care for him.

Mark Gosdin
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:47 am Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
(sigh) Caring TOO MUCH about what complete strangers online have to say than one should. Rolling Eyes

I don't know. I actually think it was a good and brave thing of him to confirm that he's not Korean. It's not just on 2chan- It's everywhere. Whenever a criminal is caught, the media and forums and blogs and everyone think it's a Korean. Sort of like the terrible associations with Jewish people that are so stupid and untrue. I've heard people say "Oh, that rapist got caught. I bet he was a Jew." I've also heard, "That murderer has to be a Korean. There's no other way." By saying that he's not Korean, he slightly pushes the blame off the other race.

Unfortunately, his statement will most likely be doubted by idiots and they'll still blame the Koreans. It's so utterly stupid.
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
In a couple years he will be released; and offered a contract as a mangaka by one of the big magazines. Building on his criminal celebrity status, he quickly becomes a famed author with multiple adaptations of his work; helped by a PR stunt where he shakes hands with the smiling Kuroko's creator. A live action film based on his exploits, specifically the time he spent avoiding capture, is commissioned and a great domestic success, followed by a Hollywood remake. He lives out the rest of his days just the way he had always dreamed; as a famous manga author.

What? It's how celebrity works!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
In a couple years he will be released; and offered a contract as a mangaka by one of the big magazines. Building on his criminal celebrity status, he quickly becomes a famed author with multiple adaptations of his work; helped by a PR stunt where he shakes hands with the smiling Kuroko's creator. A live action film based on his exploits, specifically the time he spent avoiding capture, is commissioned and a great domestic success, followed by a Hollywood remake. He lives out the rest of his days just the way he had always dreamed; as a famous manga author.

What? It's how celebrity works!

With the stigma these demographics usually get stamped with in Japan, exemplified by the difficulties Japanese ex-convicts have in trying to re-enter society, your scenario is quite unlikely to come to pass.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
So that was it what ever happened to being a drunk
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
No he's not a Korean he's just a psychopath lunatic

Yeah I don't understand why they have to bring that up. It's like all crimes committed in Japan were done by either Korean or foreigners. So I'm not really that surprised, Japan has race issue. But then again this is the same Japan where 2 infamous publication like the manga that portray Koreans and another publication for westerners and Chinese in a negative way.

But then again, I seen something similar like this from Korea where people blame Japan for not crimes in Korea, but smearing Korean image. But other then that, I've seen and heard foreigners are treated better in Korea then in Japan probably due to Korea's active in globalization and the Hallyu. I don't see Korea having any issue similar to Debito Arudou.

But back on topic, the suspect is just delusional and just plain crazy. I don't understand what labeling him as "Korean" got to do with his crime. I mean jeez, anybody remember the half-Japanese kid that is said to be an otaku that murder a high school girl. The Japanese media seem to made the suspect's race a big deal and try to make it a motive behind the killing. I'm just dumbfounded after reading this article and now blaming Kuroko's Basketball threat suspect for being "not Japanese" is just showing me Japanese media like to blame foreigner for crimes, so did the Japanese media blame Tomohiro Katō the suspect behind the Akihabara Massacre for having one drop of foreigner blood. So I guess Tsutomu Miyazaki (no relation to Hayao Miyazaki) killed school girl because he wasn't 100% Japanese. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

With the stigma these demographics usually get stamped with in Japan, exemplified by the difficulties Japanese ex-convicts have in trying to re-enter society, your scenario is quite unlikely to come to pass.

God Bless Japan
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
@Enurtsol: as much as that vieo went viral, I didn't find that funny at all. There's nothing funny about racism, I wasn't laughing when I saw this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DTJB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Hmm, certainly makes sense. Kinda find it hard to believe that the Japanese sense of elitism STILL hasn't gone away, but I know I shouldn't.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
Hmm, certainly makes sense. Kinda find it hard to believe that the Japanese sense of elitism STILL hasn't gone away, but I know I shouldn't.

Yeah it sad to see this xenophobia and racial issue exist in Japan still happening in this day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1