• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your thought on the new quicknav feature

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Just today, a new update for ANN 5.0:

Dan42 wrote:
split the "My ANN" menu for logged in users into:
- "My ANN" menu similar to anonymous visitors
- user menu with new Quicknav feature

What do you think of the new feature? I think it's kinda cool ANN now has added this quicknav feature, it makes shortcut to certain pages on ANN better then just click on many link to find it. I welcome this new features, I've started to add links I want so makes it easier for me to find without typing and search all around it taking it forever for me to find it.

What's your thought on this new features??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I saw that, but I don't notice any differences in the My ANN menu. I am not sure what changed.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
I saw that, but I don't notice any differences in the My ANN menu. I am not sure what changed.

Well you can add shortcuts to any pages on ANN, Let say for example I want to access Answerman without going through link to link. So you can create a shortcut making it easier to access to the page. That's what the quicknav feature is for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Well you can add shortcuts to any pages on ANN, Let say for example I want to access Answerman without going through link to link. So you can create a shortcut making it easier to access to the page. That's what the quicknav feature is for.

I see. I am glad that you started this thread because I did not know that.

I did see "Quicknav" over on the left side of the blue bar that dropped down when I hovered the cursor over my name, but I thought that it was just the name of the navigation menu with links to my settings.
I see now that I need to click on the word "Quicknav" to see what it does.

Where did you find out about it?
I obviously missed something.

Last edited by Touma on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I found it now. Neat, I guess, but not for me. Answerman/Shelf Life/ANNCast etc will show up in the side bar when they are new and it also just takes one click to get at them from there. The existing menu works just fine for getting to the forums, the main page, old features, etc. And if I feel like I'm going to be accessing a specific encyclopedia page or something on a regular basis, well that's what Chrome has bookmarks for.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
It's an interesting idea but I can't think of anything I would personally use it for. In the past, I have sometimes bookmarked the current Tournament thread in my browser but I had to update it constantly due to new pages, so I gave up.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I see. I am glad that you started this thread because I did not know that.

I did see "Quicknav" over on the left side of the blue bar that dropped down when I hovered the cursor over my name, but I thought that it was just the name of the navigation menu with links to my settings.
I see now that I need to click on the word "Quicknav" to see what it does.

Where did you find out about it?
I obviously missed something.

Oh I already mention it on my first post. When I log in to ANN, I decided to see what they mean and I played around with it and I found it to be cool and interactive. I realized I could save some pages and make shortcut to it without having to do bunch of searches and looking for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1