• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bento Books?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know anything about this publisher? They don't have a page on Wikipedia, their site is pretty bare bones, and either their "Math Girls" title is OOP, or they don't solicit through TSRI.

I'm curious, because they apparently have the Quantum Devil Survival: Avatar Tuner novels (aka Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga game's basis), and I really want to get them, but I know nothing about this publisher.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Try the below Google search.
https://www.google.com/#q=bento+books+inc
BentoBooks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Hi, Dessa. This is Tony Gonzalez, one of the co-founders of Bento Books. Was there something specific you wanted to know about us?

We're a relatively new company, formed by three translators (myself, Alexander O. Smith, and Joseph Reeder) a few years ago, with the goal of creating a better publisher of J->E translated books, mainly novels.

I'm not sure what made you think that Math Girls is out of print; we have Math Girls 1, Math Girls 2, and the Math Girls Manga out right now, and I'm currently translating the first book in a new spinoff series. Since we mainly translate and publish novels, we don't distribute through Rightstuf, etc.

The translation for Vol. 1 of QDS: Avatar Tuner (by Kevin Frane) is due in a few days, and then goes through a longish editing process. We then have to do the layout, seed review copies with reviewers, quality checks with printers, etc., and that will take a few months. We don't have a firm publication date for Avatar Tuner just now, but barring some kind of weird disaster it should be out by summer. If the book sells well enough, we'll be able to start negotiations with the Japanese publisher for releasing the rest of the series. (So feel free to buy two copies, and give one to a friend! =D)

Yeah, our website could use some updating; as a small company we tend to be busy with translating, editing, and all the other stuff that goes into bringing a book to market. We're working on an update, though, and hope to have that up in a week or two.

Let me know if there's anything else you wanted to know.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, most of those are either social media (which I a) don't use, and b) don't exactly trust), and don't really have any info more than their website.

I'm more looking to quality, where their books are distributed through (although B&N came up, so I'm assuming there), etc.
BentoBooks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the quality of our translations. See, for example, the reviews of Math Girls on Amazon. Our upcoming release Cage on the Sea got a positive review by Kirkus, which specifically praised the quality of the translation.

Our books are generally also listed through the Ingram catalog (the Math Girls Manga being an exception), so you can place direct orders at most brick & mortar book stores.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies (you replied while I had the reply box open before, so I didn't see it).

I was more concerned with the lack of info on the site, and that my traditional go-to for any English-language books from Japan (nor my library) had anything (hence my concern that something went OOP quickly). I've had bad experiences with companies that pop up and disappear quickly (I'm looking at you and your unfinished release of E's, Broccoli), so suddenly hearing about a company I can't really find info on was worrying ^^;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1