• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Reveals Upotte's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Been marathoning this all day. On episode 8. Watched subbed for the first 3-4 episodes before I dropped it when I thought the show was crap for my tastes.

I Was assuming for the dub to flop after the first couple of seconds of character interaction. Boy was I wrong.

Chris Ayres was right in believing Leraldo Anzaldua has enough knowledge from working as a side director for many years to finally start ADR directing.

David Matranga was an awesome choice. He sounds like he has improved VA wise from getting some direction and getting along with Mike Mcfarland. I also heard that he used him in some other works that are going to be released in the future. I CANT WAIT!

Surprised that Nancey was Elle, thought that was Tia Ballard. She does sound a bit akward in some lines, but with some more roles we can see an actress with a good future if she keeps it up and learns.

And now Geneive Simmons has a different role compared to her cool girl parts in previous shows. The only other role I can find reletable is from Shinning Hearts. Thats probably the main decision if you like this dub or not. I was surprised she can actually sound a bit cute sometimes, for an actress moving from one archtype of character acting to another. This is a decent start.

Props to Molly Searcy for have a different vocal range compared to her previous roles.

Love that Jovan Jackson is back. Possibly one of the only rare black VA's in the industry.

Rest of the cast sounds good to great. I'll be back to give other opinions on the cast since I'm surprised some fresh VA's are still being brought back.

Leave for now with David Matrangas best line so far, "This School is F***in ridiculous!........." Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit those covers. Sentai, a True American Hero.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Now all you need to release is Busou Shinki and my collection will be (almost) complete. Nice cover, although I have to admit, for some reason I liked the preliminary cover a bit more. http://imageshack.com/a/img855/1633/dzxr.jpg
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:53 pm Reply with quote
So they'll dub this, but not Chunibyo?

Ooooooookay. Neutral
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Ooooooookay. Neutral

They also dubbed that garbage pervy incest show...

Sentai makes strange decisions.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Ooooooookay. Neutral

They also dubbed that garbage pervy incest show...

Sentai makes strange decisions.

For the love of fanservice, I guess. But they're not likely to get my money for those titles.

I guess they don't want to see if the power of Kyoto Animation can bring them money as well. They probably passed on Tamako Market as well because of low streaming numbers due to restricting their stream.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I've watched a couple episodes, and Leraldo is a decent director. this is a good dub.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
How did they do with the lipsyncing? That's always been my main issue with Sentai dubs.

Yeah yeah, I know the Japanese don't really worry about it either, but still. It's easier to believe when the voice syncs up with the lipflaps.
Bablioteca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:02 am Reply with quote
is that seriously the cover...?

=/
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
How did they do with the lipsyncing? That's always been my main issue with Sentai dubs.

I haven't noticed anything extremely obvious in the five episodes I've watched
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
I haven't watched anything with Cynthia Martinez in a long time. I should check this out.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Holy shit those covers. Sentai, a True American Hero.

Yeah Sentai and Media Blasters have never been shy about their covers

Bablioteca wrote:

=/

It looks like they changed it from the previous design that's still on rightstuf

I'm also happy it now includes the OVA!
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Bablioteca wrote:

=/

It's basically an amalgamation of 4 JP DVD/BD covers, which had a single girl per cover, with the 5th volume cover having all 4 girls (which is the Sentai disc art for disc 1, the Sentai disc 2 art is the promo art for the OVA).
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote
I want to buy this but I can't really justify the price Sentai is asking for it. I'll wait for Right Stuf's Christmas sale next year.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I haven't watched anything with Cynthia Martinez in a long time. I should check this out.

She is awesomely hilarious, though so far as I've gotten she isn't a main character, which has impeded my ability to get very far.

When I heard that the director of this was praised for his skills by Chris Ayres-a man who has exactly ONE good Sentai-era dub (Maria Holic) to his name, and that might be due to the actress' skills DESPITE him-I was concerned, and rightfully so. I think that this director have potential, but it isn't really on display in this dub. Part of this is because the scriptwriters really phoned it in on this one, and another part is that he put too many of the "lower energy" actresses in the high-energy moeblob roles.

I like Simmons, but casting her as the lead in this is like having Ben Stein-a man famous for speaking extremely slowly-be an auctioneer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2