• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Offers Madoka Magica -Rebellion- Blu-ray in April

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
It's bad enough they're not dubbing it, but not even bothering to subtitle the extras?

Have fun paying full price for something you can't even fully enjoy. Confused
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I hate you Aniplex.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Already preordered. Looking forward to getting it and watching it again. Saw it twice in theaters and am looking forward to having it in my collection.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't buy the first two movies - mainly because I thought the three flicks would be offered as a complete set (and hopefully a not too outrageously expensive domestic AoA release) at some point. Hope that assumption eventually proves to be true.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I didn't buy the first two movies - mainly because I thought the three flicks would be offered as a complete set (and hopefully a not too outrageously expensive domestic AoA release) at some point. Hope that assumption eventually proves to be true.

A dubbed movie trilogy would be an interesting product.
shi666san

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Like the other set, if the extras had been subtitled I would have immediately pre-ordered.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for that awesome BD quality, which is something other r1 licensors should look to offer (yes i'm looking at you FUNimation Laughing ...). I may hold off to see if they bundle all three movies together in, as that'd be quite nice. I'm more interested in hearing something about the Monogatari series, as my Bake & Nise sets are getting lonely on their shelf Wink.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
It's bad enough they're not dubbing it, but not even bothering to subtitle the extras?

While I have no problem with them not dubbing it, i'm more curious as to why they would not sub the extras, as that seems rather odd...
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Are they just not going to dub anymore? I didn't buy the first two movies because I thought there would be a dub release down the line and I own the series anyway, but I definitely can't miss this movie. However, I want an English dub; the series' dub was really good and I don't want to have to switch back to subs whenever I watch the series dubbed, and if I want to show it someone else and blah blah blah other reasons to want a dub.

I was under the impression the series sold well enough for them, so what's with the lack of dubbing? Was my info wrong? If they'd left it to the first two movies that would be one thing (since they're just the series retold with only minor, insignificant differences), but I at least expected a dub of this movie.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Are they just not going to dub anymore? I didn't buy the first two movies because I thought there would be a dub release down the line and I own the series anyway, but I definitely can't miss this movie. However, I want an English dub; the series' dub was really good and I don't want to have to switch back to subs whenever I watch the series dubbed, and if I want to show it someone else and blah blah blah other reasons to want a dub.

I was under the impression the series sold well enough for them, so what's with the lack of dubbing? Was my info wrong? If they'd left it to the first two movies that would be one thing (since they're just the series retold with only minor, insignificant differences), but I at least expected a dub of this movie.

It may be that the previous movies have sold well without having a dub, and adding a dub to this movie could mean less profit, as opposed to just subbing it. Less work, more profit = probably every companies dream.

I don't know how well Magi did in sales, but what I do know is that they were very local and engaging with the dub they had created for it. One can speculate that if such hard work led to less than desirable sales, AoA would shy away from dubbing this.

Not to mention not dubbing a title allows for a MUCH earlier release, which I personally very much appreciate. It's probably a good thing from a business standpoint as well, as interest would still be very high.
sarroush

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Dat price tho.
Ugh, I loved the movie, but doubt I'll buy this.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition from Amazon JP for ¥ 7,500 + ¥ 1,100 shipping (April 2nd release date). *劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ[新編]叛逆の物語(完全生産限定版) (Blu-ray)* Since they're including a translated booklet I'll probably pick up one of AoA's release from TRSI as well.

*EDIT*
Link above is no longer valid

New Links:
劇場版 魔法少女まどか☆マギカ[新編]叛逆の物語(完全生産限定版) (Limited Edition Blu-ray)
Amazon Japan page for the various editions

Last edited by lem on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

But they're just imports. AoA is just creating an avenue so those hardcore peeps could buy them without navigating through those pesky Japanese language websites.

There's still a chance they'll dub the movies when they do their own domestic release.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
There's still a chance they'll dub the movies when they do their own domestic release.

Thing is, will they sell so many of these import boxes that they mostly wipe out the potential audience for a domestic release?

It's an interesting question, because the casual fan might wait to see if there's a domestic release later with a dub, subtitled extras, lower price, etc. But if there isn't… oops, you missed out.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:

Thing is, will they sell so many of these import boxes that they mostly wipe out the potential audience for a domestic release?

Since when? It's Madoka, it sells. Look at Fate/Zero. They didn't even SELL out of their import runs and they did another, cheaper, domestic, bilingual print.

Why is everyone so worried that it won't happen with this? Of COURSE the import copies are going to come before the regular copies. I'm just surprised with the pessimism of the topic... I'm doing the patient thing and waiting for the INEVITABLE cheaper, bilingual releases.

EDIT: Just don't forget how much Japan hates reverse importation. Just gotta wait...
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I've pre-ordered, but my only complaint is the same as with the release of the first two movies - that the extras don't have subtitles as well.

Last edited by Ryu Shoji on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8