• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Henneko's 8th Novel & Art Book Delayed Due to Kantoku's Health

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
The dangers of being light novel author continues to show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
razisgosu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh god not Kantoku. The world cannot do without his moe girls. He seriously draws some of the best girls I've seen.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

It's not the author this time, it's the illustrator that is having health issues.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

It's not the author this time, it's the illustrator that is having health issues.

My mistake then, still it's rather odd that people involved or working with light novels seem to be in the worst health.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
What the hell? Is the ink they sell in Japan toxic?
I'm sick of hearing of authors/illustrators sick or dying.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

It's more likely:
-they work too long and too strenuously every day
-they don't take vacations often
-they don't have healthy habits (it's probably a good bet that they smoke, as it's still extremely common in Japan. Same with drinking to excess.)
-they likely don't have healthy diets
-they likely don't get any kind of cardio or weight training

That's a good combination for letting yourself be vulnerable to many diseases, but mostly over-exhaustion.
Hastati

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

It's more likely:
-they don't have healthy habits (it's probably a good bet that they smoke, as it's still extremely common in Japan. Same with drinking to excess.)

That's a good combination for letting yourself be vulnerable to many diseases, but mostly over-exhaustion.

I think this is a pretty accurate analysis. It's really depressing, I wish that Japan had any kind of enforcement of labor laws but of course the situation won't change for a long time :/

I hope self-publishing and crowdfunding take off sometime in Japan...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what the illness is, the flu has hit Japan pretty hard, but the strain itself isn't out of the ordinary or anything, so maybe he got the flu and with LN artists and authors getting less sleep than normal, it could cause some serious problems.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

It's more likely:

I agree with all the above but there is one more I want to throw in, stress because of the toil it can cause on the body.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
One day Japan will realize that "work yourself to death for jack shit" is not the ideology of any sane first-world country.

Today is not that day, however. I can't believe Kantoki has to apologize for being sick, holy shit, let the man rest, why does he have to apologize for getting sick?
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I wonder what the illness is, the flu has hit Japan pretty hard, but the strain itself isn't out of the ordinary or anything, so maybe he got the flu and with LN artists and authors getting less sleep than normal, it could cause some serious problems.

The article states it's pneumothorax so it's pretty serious. If he smokes, that is also contributing factor.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
the fact that he keeps on working while in the hospital speaks lots.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:

The article states it's pneumothorax so it's pretty serious. If he smokes, that is also contributing factor.

It also mentions that having pneumothorax before is a risk factor in itself, and since the article mentions that it's a re-occurance, that's not good at all. If he is smoking, he should quit after this, this comes back and could kill him the next time if he doesn't.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
It also mentions that having pneumothorax before is a risk factor in itself, and since the article mentions that it's a re-occurance, that's not good at all. If he is smoking, he should quit after this, this comes back and could kill him the next time if he doesn't.

The way it was explained to my brother, it won't kill him, just inconvenience him and cause pain and discomfort. When he had a spontaneous pneumothorax, they told him the stuff in the article. It's more common in tall thin males, it could happen for no reason at all, if it happens a second time, it probably will continue to happen.

His lung was collapsed for two days before he went to see his primary doctor, who told him to go to the ER because he probably had SP, where they put in a chest tube to get the lung to reinflate and sent him home the next day.

The doctors told him that as a healthy young person, he could live a completely normal life with only one lung. If the problem became recurring they might want to do surgery to seal the leaky bleb, worst case scenario: They completely botch the job and he loses the lung and then as he gets old he would probably need an oxygen tank. (The line about botching the surgery was a doctor joke, but his point was that this is not at all a dangerous situation.)

Like has been mentioned before, smoking is prevalent in Japan, so maybe this guy already has reduced lung capacity. He's been in the hospital for a few days, so maybe the lung isn't reinflating properly, but after my experience with the condition, I just don't see it as lethal.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote
I love Kantoku's artwork. I hope e gets well soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2