• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shino Kakinuma Replaces Yuko Minaguchi as Videl in Dragon Ball Z Kai

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
The article as-posted notes Toshio Furukawa as Yamcha; he's actually Piccolo's voice actor. Tōru Furuya is Yamcha's voice actor, and the page does also indicate his respective return to the character.

For those who may not know, the other switch-ups worth noting are Bin Shimada taking over as Babidi (from Jōji Yanami, who's still listed as the narrator there on the page, presumably in addition to his role as Kaiō from before). Shimada also took over for the late Takeshi Aono as God back when Aono suffered his stroke, and kept the role after his unfortunate passing a couple years back. Shimada's mainly known to DBZ fans as Broli.

And then there's Norihito Sumitomo taking over the musical score after its various disasters courtesy of Kenji Yamamoto. Sumitomo joined the franchise last year to score the new film Battle of Gods.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:26 am Reply with quote
When Daisuke Gori died, she said that she didn't want to play Videl in Kai because it would be too painful. It appears she was serious.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
While that's true, Minaguchi did return for Battle of Gods last year. That was a one-off recording session, though, while Kai is (obviously) a longer/larger commitment.
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:
While that's true, Minaguchi did return for Battle of Gods last year. That was a one-off recording session, though, while Kai is (obviously) a longer/larger commitment.

Weren't the recordings for this arc of Kai done before Battle of Gods, though?
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:19 pm Reply with quote
We know that they were recording up to the tournament stuff back in November 2012.

Videl's present throughout the entire Buu arc, though (just not a whole lot once things really kick into high gear). I don't see them recording all of her material in its entirety when she was around for those couple days to do the movie, so it's not entirely surprising the character's been recast for Kai.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=993387&show=160#msg28993469

Few days ago I kinda predicted that.

Too bad Yuko won't be returning as Videl, but it's nice that Shino will be in business again since the first time she replaced Yuko as Videl in Toriko x DBZ x One Piece special.

It's sad that she who voiced Naru Osaka didn't have much roles through years.

Also, even in TxDBZxOP special, I wondered why they decided to replace Yuko with Shino who was over 40 years old, and not some younger seiyuu, since Videl is teenager in Buu saga.

Btw, don't get me wrong, I'm always glad when I find out that some seiyuu from 80s / 90s still get to voice younger characters, since most of them are actually still quite capable of that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that Videl is being recast in Japanese, and given that Kara Edwards doesn't seem to be in anything anymore, it's also likely to happen when the English version is made.

Sumitomo, who did the BoG soundtrack is doing the music, which should be interesting. Though it would have been great if they pulled Kikuchi out of retirement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
It's a shame that Videl is being recast in Japanese, and given that Kara Edwards doesn't seem to be in anything anymore, it's also likely to happen when the English version is made.

Sumitomo, who did the BoG soundtrack is doing the music, which should be interesting. Though it would have been great if they pulled Kikuchi out of retirement.

Well, Kara Edwards reprised the role of Videl and Gohan in the new Battle of Z video game, but as someone else said, a one-day recording and a whole show are entirely different, so you may be right.
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
A question that pops to mind after reading his is: If DBZ Kai does get an Ocean Group dub like they promised (even though they probably won't go through with it), who's going to replace Monica Stori as Videl? Kira Tozer?

Honestly, I thought she was great as Kagome from InuYasha, so I wouldn't mind her playing Miss Stori's characters should any new anime related to her old shows be made and dubbed.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Actually Kara Edwards has gotten pretty active in anime voice acting lately. She took a long break (and was even replaced as Videl with Susan Huber in GT and Brina Palencia in Super DBZ), but based on her amount of recent credits, and the fact that she's voiced the characters in games and made convention appearances, I'm pretty sure she'll be back as both Videl and Goten.

She picked up nine roles in 2013: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Kara-Edwards/
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Ah, well.

As brutal as I've been to the English dub of Dragon Ball Z, I always enjoyed Edwards as both Videl and Goten.

It's still a shame about Minaguchi, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1