• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atsushi Ohkubo Works on Soul Eater Not! Manga's Last Volume

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
So Soul Eater Not is only gonna have four or five volumes. Huh.

Frankly, I'm glad Ohkubo is keeping this series short. A moe, slice of life with the occasional bits of action isn't exactly a series you can stretch out for 10 or more volumes. Well, you can, but people are definitely going to lose interest in it, Soul Eater fan or not.

I'm curious as to how he plans to resolve all the plot threads in Soul Eater Not. There's the Tsugumi's partner thing which should be easy enough to resolve but then there's the third Gorgon sister. She was planning something evil but her plot was basically just beginning so she has only appeared, like, twice. We still don't even know much about her personality, motives, or anything, really. I don't think she has even reappeared yet after that incident with Eternal Feather. How is Ohkubo going to resolve a mini story arc if said story arc is just getting started, I wonder.

Oh well. I bought the first two volumes and since I wasn't impressed I was just gonna drop the series but now that I know the series is a short one I might just buy the rest of the volumes when they come out for the sake of completion.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Well that one didn't last long
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well that one didn't last long

Exactly what I was going to say Laughing

I'll wait for all volumes to be released and pick them all up at once - that way I can marathon them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
With it being that short, I may pick all the volumes up quickly too. I was going to try and get more caught up with Soul Eater first but a series of 4-5 books is definitely easy to manage than whatever Soul Eater is at these days.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
I believe the main series ends/is ending around volume 25
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr_42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
I don't think the series could have been made that much longer without feeling overdrawn and strung out. Maybe with a different cast set, a more serious one, the whole espionage and subtle warfare angle could have been exploited better?

[EDIT: Don't ask for scanlations. It's against the rules. -TK]
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if BONES are not planning a remake of Soul Eater afin the end of Not. We already knew that they were working on a new version of a familiar title, and many assumed that it was Soul Eater Not, but I think they will adapt the complete SE franchise, beginning with Not. I do hope so.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
It was Soul Eater NOT but they could do a Brotherhood style remake with the main series.
yappers4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
It was Soul Eater NOT but they could do a Brotherhood style remake with the main series.

The only thing about the Brotherhood style remake of Soul Eater is that the main series of the anime followed very closely to the manga until spoiler[half-way through the battle of Maka, Black*Star, and Death the Kid vs. Mosquito.] I believe it is easy to restart from the anime-only ending with an anime-only first episode that progresses back into the main story.

Last edited by yappers4 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Thank Kawaii Jesus
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Thats actually a little surprising. From what I heard about the Soul Eater main series, it seemed like that got wrapped up fairly quickly so I assumed it was so Ohkubo could work on Not more. I haven't read much of Not but if he were to sprinkle in references to the main series or have it a B Side story to the main series, seems like he could stretch it out more if he wanted.

It's nice that this seems to be a complete adaption of the manga though, and I can't help but think SE Brotherhood is a little bit more of a possibility.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1