• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Comic Ranking, March 3-9 [2014-03-12]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowLess41

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Love seeing Kuroko in the top 5
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
BLEACH 62 is out for almost the entire period and couldn't break 400k. Le sigh.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is ending soon. I don't see any manga is going to replace those sale number.
sontoloyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
Last time I remember ( I haven't check it yet, it could be quite inaccurate ) but Naruto is still around a million seller per volume correct? Sure, it's only 740K this first week, but I'm pretty sure the final number by the end will reach around that 1 mil though it's going to take quite slow and a bit long compare to its previous first vols. Pretty sure Bleach will also reach around 600K-700K later on, those 2 did had a bit of drop in the middle of its releases until now, but even then the sales after the drop for most of the manga, especially SJ manga is still quite consistent.

Regarding Naruto replacement, my bet goes to either AssClass and TerraFormars (especially if these 2 receive good anime adaptations and good receptions in Japan, then the manga will get boost at minimal twice the earlier/original sales pre the anime). Of course, not all anime(shounen ones) based manga/LN adaptation can successfully reach the same success/popularity among audience in Japan (lots of title also failed) but for the success ones like FMA, AnE, Kuroko, SnK, Magi, etc....we can see that at the most minimum all of them at least got the boost of twice/double the number of the earlier sales. Though, I doubt both AssClass and TerraFormars will be a long running series ala Naruto, especially Terraformars (yeah it's seinen and monthly release like AnE, moreover from the type of story/plot it's definetely not your potential long running type of series, even if you try to drag it as long as possible). Toriko is actually perfect for the successor of these long running series like OP, Naruto, Bleach) but unfortunately despite its good/great manga sales per vol, the number is still nowhere near around those three so far.

Well, Jump actually still has HxH as 2 mil seller manga per vol (if only it didn't have those long hiatuses/breaks every now and then).
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
One Piece is up slightly compared to the previous volume released one day into the tracking period. Bleach is down a bit.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-12/japanese-comic-ranking-june-2-8

However, the previously released One Piece volume total is down by around 200k (and volume 70 was released 3 months after volume 69 while it's been 4 months since volume 72 was released back in november) :
Quote:

One Piece 69 - 24,351 - 2,997,890
One Piece 72 - 22,952 - 2,792,432

_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
sontoloyo wrote:
Well, Jump actually still has HxH as 2 mil seller manga per vol (if only it didn't have those long hiatuses/breaks every now and then).

Hunter x Hunter is 1 mil seller per volume same as Naruto.. Honestly there isn't a 2 mil seller per vol except for One Piece
sontoloyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Aaah.....damn my memory, I guess I need to check the old threads more often then Confused I guess I'm vaguely confusing HxH total series in 2013 with each vol sales>.< Yeah....after checking it again, you're right....sorry Wink the latest 2 vols of HxH indeed sell 1 mil each>_<

Well, in the long term you could possibly consider OP as 3 mil seller manga, vol 69 had 2,9 mil and vol 72 had 2,7 mil (that's almost 3 mil anyway, I say give and take another 3 or 6 months probably it can reach those 3 mil numbers). But yeah, so far no other series in Jump can reach that number. Only recently SnK is the only manga that got 2 mil sales per vol outside of Jump or Shueisha's title after the anime's boost, the other one I can think of is Nana (also Shueisha's bestselling shojo title) that can reach those 2 mil number sales aside OP before it goes on undefinite hiatus right? correct me if I'm wrong, since it's been sooo long since the last vol of Nana being published but I used to remember in 2008-2009 Nana is one of OP rival in term of sales, too bad Yazawa-sensei got ill before she can end/finish Nana's story properly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1