• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Government Honors Ghibli's Suzuki, Voice Actress Nana Mizuki

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why they call Nana Mizuki a "rookie"?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, congrats to both of them. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mikeski

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

"Mizuki's win is unusual, as the field of voice acting is often seen as a sub-genre in the awards."

...I guess she's far too young for the catch-all "lifetime achievement award" given to awards-show people who don't fit the predefined categories, so she got the catch-all "rookie of the year" award, instead. Rolling Eyes

But yes, "rookie" is a strange term for someone who's had major VA roles and top-ten singles and albums for over a decade.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote
Glory to Nana Mizuki. Well deserved.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:

Probably the point is how the Agency for Cultural Affairs defines the term 'shinjin' particularly in the rules about the Art Recommendation Prizes. (The ANN staffer has translated it as 'rookie'. I'm not sure whether he/she, who works for a North American website of which encyclopaedia mentions only three titles (Dark Myth (OAV), Kabe Otoko (manga), and Shiori to Shimiko (manga)) as works related to the Morohoshi Daijirō as of writing this, knows the Art Recommendation Prizes very well, though.)
The Agency defines 'shinjin' as a person whose active period is relatively short and whose achievements are relatively small. And the rules also say that a person who receives a Shinjin Prize must be under fifty.
For example, Tsuji Kunio, who was a distinguished novelist-scholar, received an Art Recommendation Shinjin Prize when he was 43 years old. Famous film scholar Iijima Tadashi, who had written about the cinema since the 1920s, received a Minister of Education Prize, which was the main prize, of the Art Recommendation Prizes when he was 69 years old. (Recently I happened to re-read the book which Dr Iijima had received the prize for.)
So, even if a middle-aged person who has already received recognition to some extent gets an Art Recommendation Shinjin Prize, there is nothing surprising in it.
It is not an unexpected thing that the suits think a thirty-something voice actress is just a 'shinjin' in the context of the prizes in question.

omiya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
omiya wrote:

The Agency defines 'shinjin' as a person whose active period is relatively short and whose achievements are relatively small. And the rules also say that a person who receives a Shinjin Prize must be under fifty.
It is not an unexpected thing that the suits think a thirty-something voice actress is just a 'shinjin' in the context of the prizes in question.

Thankyou for the explanation!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm imagining Nana Mizuki's primarily being honoured for her superb work as tomboy Touma Minami in Minami-ke. Obviously, that's not what she's being honoured for at all (well, Touma's only a small part of her overall seiyuu career), but I'm just imagining, "imagining" being the key word, that the entire Japanese government are all huge Touma fans as Touma is an awesome character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd say she deserves recognition for her singing voice alone. I will never stop wishing that she'd just go and join JAM Project already; she's pretty much the perfect female vocal match for Masaaki Endoh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1