• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Waiting in the Summer/Ano Natsu de Matteru Anime Is an OVA

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, at least it's better than nothing. Still looking forward to it of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Annf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
That's quite an expensive OVA for those of us that already own the TV BDs.
Going to have to ponder if I want to see it badly enough.
srlracing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
That's quite the let down. I was hoping for a full new TV anime. Are OVAs typically announced as sequels, even when they technically are, or are they drumming up excitement by announcing a sequel then revealing it is an OVA rather than a full new project? There are a couple of recent series that seem to have used this bait and switch tactic if it is in fact what is going on.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
So they expected fans who already bought the BD/DVD completely to buy another one just because there is this only one extra? That's too damn expensive, man. Can't they just release it in other media? Maybe like bonus DVD on manga or such?
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
So they expected fans who already bought the BD/DVD completely to buy another one just because there is this only one extra? That's too damn expensive, man. Can't they just release it in other media? Maybe like bonus DVD on manga or such?

Don't forget; the anime industry's main source of income is charging fans a massive amount of money.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
Huh, I didn't know there was more AnoNatsu on the way. Nice. Though its a shame that unless Sentai does a re-release we'll never get them.
Yause

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
That's quite the let down. I was hoping for a full new TV anime. Are OVAs typically announced as sequels, even when they technically are, or are they drumming up excitement by announcing a sequel then revealing it is an OVA rather than a full new project? There are a couple of recent series that seem to have used this bait and switch tactic if it is in fact what is going on.

They're often announced as a "New [insert series] anime project", which was the case here. No details on content (Sequel? Prequel? Side story?) or format (TV series? OVA? Movie?) were provided, but that didn't stop the news from being misconstrued.

On the other hand, the Gargantia OVA was announced as a sequel.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
It's basically the equivalent of a bonus extra for re-releases, though it usually takes a longer while so as not to make the previous consumers feel gypped.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
lol, they probably figure even if they only get 50% the potential customers vs selling the OVA stand alone, it'll probably be more profitable to bundle it with the box set.

kevinx59 wrote:
Huh, I didn't know there was more AnoNatsu on the way. Nice. Though its a shame that unless Sentai does a re-release we'll never get them.

I think there's still a chance, though much later like a year or two from now. Sentai current has a sub-only, DVD release. If they decide to release a blu-ray version, whether w/ dub or sub-only, like they have increasingly been doing, then there's a good chance that their BD release of AnoNatsu will also include the OVA. This will also provide an incentive for current DVD owners to double-dip.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
I should have known. But in a way it is a good thing; I don't know what they could have done with another full season.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I should have known. But in a way it is a good thing; I don't know what they could have done with another full season.

Considering Yukari Tamura's character, that. And it would be amazing. I didn't like the main characters, thought the tie in to Please Teacher was confusing and unnecessary but I loved Lemon, her personality and the idea of her organization, familiar as it is, applied to anime.

Lemon, policing harems, cat girls and moe aliens with snark and genre savvy. I'd watch that series, it may even live up to its premise.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
It's what I had figured, since how were they going to make another season? Introduce a new character, restart the same love triangle again? The love matter was settled, so it could have only been slice of life, like Non Non Biyori.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:39 am Reply with quote
A new OVA for which you have to buy the entire BD BOX...
Rarely do you see such a clear message of "please piate me" on a release, especially since BD singles for this show were already sold. Whate are the people who bought the BDs in Japan supposed to do? Buy the show again? Talk about a money grab...
bastek66

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Didn't Toradora do same? Short episode on BD-box it was some shitty uniportant story with food.
Onegai Sensei Ova gives much more hopes for this.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Like what they did with Toradora! Not surprising. Here's hoping that Sentai Filmworks decides to follow NIS's example, but quicker, and pick up the rights for the BluRay and OVA, and give this show the dub it deserves. I thought it was originally released on BluRay in Japan, though, so I guess this is just a re-packaging with new content... (If it has subtitles, it would be tempting, but I'm sure the price will be out of my price range...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2