• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ComicWalker App Launches With 18 Manga Titles in English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I hope they keep these updated weekly since most of them are behind. Otherwise, not bad for the service. I read Nobunaga the Fool other day there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
So far only Gundam: the Origin has my attention. The rest aren't really my cup.

But god damn it, if it got us Macross the First in English...

But we're not that lucky.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I hope they keep these updated weekly since most of them are behind. Otherwise, not bad for the service. I read Nobunaga the Fool other day there.

It sounds like they're going to be monthly looking at the schedule.
When I read "40 titles in Chinese and English at launch" I interpreted it as 40 titles in both languages at launch and was thoroughly disappointed when it was just 18 in English at launch (there were 22 in Chinese so it adds to 40) Looking back on it though I guess it's a good number of titles to launch with I suppose. They seem to be adding a lot of titles quickly in Japanese though in English it hasn't grown by even 1 (I guess it takes time to get the rights and translate them?). To be fair I'm probably being impatient and it has only been 4 days.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
So they're not doing previous chapters, only the current chapters going forward? Also, is the web version the full version, or do the app versions have more?
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
So they're not doing previous chapters, only the current chapters going forward? Also, is the web version the full version, or do the app versions have more?

They're starting at the beginning for each. The web version and app version have all the same titles.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
"Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Hajime Yatate, and Yoshiyuki Tomino's Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (Full-color edition)
Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Hajime Yatate, and Yoshiyuki Tomino's Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Special Edition"

Lol, goodbye Vertical Gundam Origin sales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
srlracing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I've read through about half of the English titles and I'm working through a Japanese title since there are a couple that provide some Kanji assistance.

As far as a launch for a service goes it gets an A+ in my book. It already has many titles that I am interested in available in English and even more in Japanese. The pages are big, sharp, and beautiful. The reader both online and in application is easy to use and a lot smoother than Crunchyroll's mickey-mouse set up. Its really everything I ever hoped for in Manga. The only real issue is the load time for the title list when you go to look at all the titles on the application is a tad slow and I am not sure how it is managing the downloaded manga data yet. Now if only we could get more titles in the near future.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder who's translating the unlicensed titles...
Kanokun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
Ah this it great is has Kagerou Daze ! Hoping for other Comic Gene series based of vocaloid songs like Bookmark of Demise or Mikagura School Suite.

Putting aside my extreme love for vocaloids it has a good selection of manga and works really well. Since some of these manga have a lot of chapters out hope they can update quickly.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
I wonder who's translating the unlicensed titles...

Yes I wonder who they have working on titles and the website. I was reading the first chapter of Non Non Biyori and there was a line of weird dialogue "The floor's gone rotten with damp." There were also funny translations for the website like buttons saying "To work more screen", "I see in the viewer the latest story" or "I return to the page TOP"

I tried out their android app as well which seemed to work better. Though, I had to try and figure out bits of it and the security permissions seemed a little expansive to me.

For the already licensed titles full-colour Gundam is rather cool. I also checked out the first chapter of Takasugi-san Family's Obento (Digital Manga calls it Takasugi-san's Obento). Not sure if I like it or not. The two Yen titles mentioned in the ANN article are the only ones where Comic Walker has said where to buy copies as of right now too. I would think that needs to change quickly.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
So, this is a free app? It's always exciting to see more manga in English!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Lol, goodbye Vertical Gundam Origin sales.

Those Vertical volumes are gorgeous. There is no way an online version would compare. IMO, buying the physical product is thoroughly worth it.
lunaitc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
As glad as I am to see the Frog again, something really needs to be done about that release schedule. One chapter a month for a series with 21 volumes already translated? Are you kidding me?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1