• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon X/Y Top Japan's Video Game Sales in 2013

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:06 am Reply with quote
Nintendomination Laughing
the-antihero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I completed the Pokedex for the first time since Red/Blue/Yellow. X and Y was great. I put 380 hours into it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
This game is like my conjoined twin at this point. I'm almost always playing it. Needless to say, not much of a personal life. But I have an army of super-strong Pokémon, and that has to count for something, right?

My therapist says no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Japan us such a different market than America, it's amazing. Half these games never even came out here.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

Nintendomination Laughing

Thank goodness for the 3DS at least. Unfortunately, the new-gen Wii-U is just barely outselling the PS3. OTOH, they got close for the best-selling home console game (GTA V takes the J-crown). [Coming from Nintendo stockholders.]

Murder, She wrote:

These decreases may be related to the increase in sales of downloadable versions and free-to-play charges in recent years. Although the year's sales did not reach last year's and did not reach expectations, if smartphone applications and PC games are included, the game market overall experienced large-scale growth.

I don't quite get this. Why wouldn't they include smartphone apps and PC games in the total hardware and software sales in the first place?
Jave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
I think maybe since they're not dedicated gaming platforms. Phones are phones and PCs are PC at the end of the day. Laughing

Mobile gaming is getting pretty big in Japan. But it's not like mobile gaming in America. Where the top selling games in America are casual games for 99 cents, Japan's Top 10 is made up of a lot of ports of old console games which can cost up to 30 bucks, like Dragon Quest VIII. SquareEnix has been dominating mobile devices for awhile now. It was reported they held half of the Top 10 for awhile at one point. Selling all those ports of Dragon Quest VIII for 30 bucks a pop musta been nice for them. I dunno if they'll ever take over handhelds as a whole, but they're some nice supplementary money at least and why you see a lot of companies jumping in the mobile money pit like Capcom. Follow the leader, as they say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1