• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Drakengard 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinder_2009

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like its right up my alley.

How bad are the framerate issues? Are they everywhere or just in certain places, or battles? I think its the most common complaint that I've heard about this game.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good. I thought it seemed like a different beast from Nier or Drakengard, and I'm glad to know that it's not a pale imitation of either.

And Drakengard 2 was garbage; I don't want the protagonist of a sequel to one of the darkest games I've played to be a well-adjusted young man whose critical flaw is that he NEVER LISTENS TO ANYONE WHEN THEY TELL HIM THAT WHAT HE'S DOING IS GOING TO ASS UP THE WHOLE WORLD!
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Weapon story are back? On that alone I'm sold. Every once in awhile I go back to the previous one just to read those.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I honestly really hate this game. As a game the technical issues and visuals are pretty pathetic.

As a new Drakengard game I find the toned down scale to be disappointing.

I really dislike Zero and find her to be obnoxious, then again everyone is in this game.

I don't find the writing to be good. The curse words feel obnxious and un-natural. I do not think in whatever the world this game is Zero should be calling people asshats. The whole thing feels trashy and forced.

I do not find the humor funny and do not welcome it.

I just really dislike this game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
So in conclusion, we should all play Nier.

As always the case with Drakengard games, most of the backstory is told to us outside the game, namely booklets they intend us to buy in the collector's editions. In there we find Zero's true motivations, the meaning of the eye flower, and the links between this world and the previous games.

But yeah, the True Ending is utter ridiculous. Japanese ridiculous. I love it.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
My copy is in the mail, can't wait to play it. Bummed to hear about the slowdown though Sad .
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
It's really bad, but I love it. Drakengard 3 has transcended beyond mere kusoge, perhaps even to the level of shin kusoge, if you will.
RealDrakeula

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:51 pm Reply with quote
pinder_2009 wrote:
How bad are the framerate issues?
I've only ever really noticed them when fire is taking up your screen. You get shot at by cannons sometimes, and you'll every once in a while be riding on Mikhail. That's when it's the worst because there's bound to loads of fire around.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Cavia is the definition of "shin kusoge".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Toester_Strudel

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I never really expect the graphics to be good from an old Cavia team to begin with, same for the frame rate. What matters was the story (which was okay, only got to Ending A, I'm expecting something more shocking from the other endings) and the music (phenomenal as always by Keichi Okabe). Also each of the characters were... "unique". So the grading for this game was pretty much spot on.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
It's really bad, but I love it. Drakengard 3 has transcended beyond mere kusoge, perhaps even to the level of shin kusoge, if you will.
This shin kusoge thing, did you coin this term. I like the cut of your jib and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
gridsleep

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait for the inevitable Zero & Deadpool mashup.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to like this game, but I just found it underwhelming. Zero's motives, the whole flower business, it was just kind of...there. For a franchise that bills itself on dark and weird twistedness, it wasn't dark enough or weird enough (though I did chuckle quite a bit, so props for being funny). The disciples were far less important than I thought they'd be, and the one with the most interesting story--Cent--seemed to get the least screentime, probably because he was a pain in the ass with his trivia.

And the game was just so *linear*. It was like FF XIII's tunnel vision all over again--but at least XIII had the decency to give us lush backgrounds to fight in. I was going to hurl my console at the TV if I had to sit through one more forest level. UGH.

Props to the VAs though. They seemed to be having the time of their lives, especially when they did the soldier-minion's banter. I thought Zero had a few more shades of warmth to her voice than the Japanese version, so it made her bullying of Mikhail a touch more palatable.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this game was heavily rushed, either in terms of budget or time? NieR had a much more developed world coupled with an interesting story, characters, and sidequests. Here, everything felt sort of slapped together. :/

Last edited by whiskeyii on Fri May 23, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
So it sounds like, by and far, NieR was the game that shouldn't have been crapped on but ultimately was (due to poor marketing and excessive media focus on the wrong aspects like Kaine being a hermaphrodite), while this one sounds like a vain attempt to regain the attention of the Drakengard crowd who craved a new entry into a series that had quietly faded from public view before.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

Does anyone else get the feeling that this game was heavily rushed, either in terms of budget or time? NieR had a much more developed world coupled with an interesting story, cjharacters, and sidequests. Here, everything felt sort of slapped together. :/

Square clearly didn't give them the time of day. Hell, they started work on the original idea for Nier after Drakengard 2 though it wasn't announced until 09 and by then, had become a spinoff. It still had all that time to be worked on compared to Drakengard 3's quick turn around of not even a full year between the announcement it was being made and its actual release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2