• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Full Moon O Sagashite

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:07 am Reply with quote
"Pile of shame"!?
Full Moon is a masterpiece that touched my heart and the heart of every person I showed it to.
And that ending was amazing. It made all the sense in the world; you call spoiler[self-sacrifice-becomes redemption] "poor writing", I will be forced to bite off your head! Twisted Evil

Also I did a report, yes, A REPORT on shinigami for a "Death and Dying" psychology class in college. According to Japanese legend spoiler[ if you beg, a shinigami WILL agree to let someone live in exchange for another life.]
"Poor writing" my ass. >:/
corinthian

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
In before the obligatory explanation of the column name.

I got a promo disc of this series at a convention when it was first coming out. If I recall correctly there was some DVD issues where the songs weren't subtitled on the English track, but that may have just been the result of the promo disc, since it was probably mass produced to go into every bag. It wasn't that great dub in my opinion, at least from the first few episodes. I later read the manga at my girlfriend's behest, and it got fairly dark at times. I don't know if they did this for the show, but spoiler[her love interest was dead, and she knew it but had suppressed that knowledge.]
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
"Pile of shame"!?
Full Moon is a masterpiece that touched my heart and the heart of every person I showed it to.

The name doesn't mean he writes about crappy titles, it means stuff he's had for years and never really got around to watching.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
It wasn't that great dub in my opinion, at least from the first few episodes.

Oh yes. The dub was so bad I wanted to cry and then blacklist Viz forever...because the ENTIRE way they handled the show was like they didn't give a crap at all.

Quote:
I later read the manga at my girlfriend's behest, and it got fairly dark at times. I don't know if they did this for the show, but spoiler[her love interest was dead, and she knew it but had suppressed that knowledge.]

Nope, it's different in the show. Mitsuki didn't know. They went in their own direction. The manga hadn't even reached chapter 4 when the anime adaptation was decided.

Thanks for clearing me up about the title of the column though.
Beized

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a fun little show in spite of (because of?) all the dying. If I recall correctly, in the show the role of a shinigami is spoiler[reserved for people who have committed suicide]. Yeesh.
MagicallyDelicious

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I just woke up not that long ago, so maybe this will make sense in a few hours... but what?

Vintage: 1991-1992 (first series), 1995-1996 (second series)

Second series? What is being referred to here?

That being said, I love Full Moon! I have the manga, too.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the show, but I loved the ending of the manga, so it's disappointing to hear that the anime ended early.
Eh, I may check out the anime one day
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I have all the manga and I love it! I really need to get back into the anime. I saw a few episodes years ago but never got to finish it.
KidaYuki

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
To this day I still recommend full moon to people. For me they're just so many memories in it. Like the first time I discovered "Oh I like these Japanese songs more than I thought I did" every now and then when I'm by my self I start singing eternal snow (the second main closer)

I really appreciated the ending, it was very conclusive which is more than I can say of most anime, the first I sat there watching this I was screaming his name repeatedly with/for her.

I own the first 5 DVD volumes >.>
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Vintage: 1991-1992 (first series), 1995-1996 (second series)

? Somethings fishy here... The anime was made 2002-2003, manga started in 2001, but run then concurrently with the anime.

Template mishap?

Edit; Yep, template mishap, article dates are from previous Pile of Shame, 3x3 Eyes.

Last edited by Blanchimont on Tue May 27, 2014 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Pretty damn good for a kiddie show, narrative tangles at the end notwithstanding. I think it's too easy to forget the whole cancer thing in the mountain of one-off silly episodes in the first quarter or maybe half, but faffing around is a thing most long series do, so I can't be surprised.

The manga's surprisingly darker, though still a kid's series. The anime Mitsuki is a little Pollyanna-ish, but in the manga she's something of a possibly-self-destructive obsessive. And her manager likes booze too much.

Beized wrote:
Definitely a fun little show in spite of (because of?) all the dying. If I recall correctly, in the show the role of a shinigami is spoiler[reserved for people who have committed suicide]. Yeesh.

Cribbing from spoiler[Beetlejuice], maybe?
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Full Moon is a nice show despite having a silly ending.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I loved the Full Moon anime. I showed the series to my sweetie and he liked it too. We managed to finish it about a week before Viz pulled the stream.

I do admit though that after reading the manga, my enjoyment of the series was tinged with a disappointed in how much they "lightened" the anime.

Among other things changed or removed entirely:

spoiler[
* The entire backstory of Meroko and her connection to Mitsuki
* Izumi's heart aching backstory and his actually being a pretty decent guy who also wants to protect Mitsuki
* Oshige's alchoholism and affair with the boss, and the super awesome moment Wakaoji rescues her Smile
* The whole bit with Jonathan's real identity (Sheldan) and Mystere/Death Master is of course not seen
* Madoka's side story with Nachi and her backstory is almost entirely cut down
* We don't get to see Mitsuki going back to singing three years later Smile
]

Less of a spoiler: while neither media had Mitsuki lose weight and all, in the manga she was never allowed to go to school.

I could understand changing the ending if the anime finished before the manga, but still I'd have loved to have seen it. Then again, these sorts of changes are not uncommon with Tanemura's works, from what I've seen. Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne was also toned down quite a bit for the anime version.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I found it extremely compelling -- you'd have to have a heart of stone not to --
\

I'd like it more, if the pacing wasn't so terrible, and, as you pointed out, the story wasn't padded out in a convoluted fashion. Also, I really do not like Tanemura's saccharine characters in general. There's something phony about 'em.
Sana_chan5

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Full Moon is one of my favorite shoujo anime. I even somehow managed to get my dad to watch it with me (he won't watch Sailor Moon though).

Its been awhile since I've watched the anime or read the manga, but I kind of did like that they both went a different direction. While I like that Izumi has a bigger role in the manga, I kinda like that he's portrayed darker in the anime.

I really wish Viz would put out a boxset for this series... As well as the rest of the Monster series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3