• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Edge of Tomorrow Film Opens in Theaters on Friday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:54 am Reply with quote
I hope people watch this. The reviews have been glowing with praise, and it isn't an existing film franchise.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:49 am Reply with quote
I saw the movie last night and it was really good. Different from the source material in several areas as expected but it used the core idea well and got the execution right. I hope it does good in the box office. We could use more adaptions like it.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
I look forward to checking this out.

I may read the novels, but it seems weird to read a translation of a book. Authors have their own styles, and that can be lost between translations. I mean I read a number of translations this past year for a class, and Dante's Inferno barely works in English unless you have a particularly gifted translator.
merr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I look forward to checking this out.

I may read the novels, but it seems weird to read a translation of a book. Authors have their own styles, and that can be lost between translations. I mean I read a number of translations this past year for a class, and Dante's Inferno barely works in English unless you have a particularly gifted translator.

I haven't read Viz's release, but for what it's worth, they got Alexander O. Smith to do the translation. He's one of the best in the business. Also keep in mind that the novel is contemporary pop fiction, which is generally easier to translate than 14th century epic poetry.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
I haven't read Viz's release, but for what it's worth, they got Alexander O. Smith to do the translation. He's one of the best in the business. Also keep in mind that the novel is contemporary pop fiction, which is generally easier to translate than 14th century epic poetry.

Glad to hear that. I haven't trusted Viz since they botched Fullmetal Alchemist, but if Alexander O. Smith is behind the wheel of this one, I know I'm in for a good ride. :3
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately it looks like this movie's gonna be a bomb, as it's tracking really bad. Everyone's going to see TFIOS and Maleficent. There is small chance that word of mouth could boost numbers though.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah i saw the movie a couple days ago and really liked it. Its got a few problems but is overall solid. Really hope it does well cause it deserves it. Also surprised at how many Game of Thrones actors were in it. Really made it a bit more fun. Also Bill Paxton was Paxtoning it up hard and i liked it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:32 am Reply with quote
v1cious: It still hasn't opened in the Asian market yet.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
v1cious: It still hasn't opened in the Asian market yet.

Doesn't matter. Remember everyone pounding on that international sales meant zilch for Pacific Rim? Why would the situation suddenly change? Ah well, figures that the only competent anime/manga-related adaptation would bomb. You took one for the team, Cruise, so that the likes of GitS and AKIRA will never be greenlit.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Of course Cruise finally makes a good sci-fi film and no one watches.

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Preferred "All you need is kill" as a title.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Doesn't matter. Remember everyone pounding on that international sales meant zilch for Pacific Rim? Why would the situation suddenly change?

Who said that international sales meant nothing to Pacific Rim?That movie crossed over 400 million dollars mostly due to the international sales and somebody claimed how they didn't matter?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:
Doesn't matter. Remember everyone pounding on that international sales meant zilch for Pacific Rim? Why would the situation suddenly change?

Who said that international sales meant nothing to Pacific Rim?That movie crossed over 400 million dollars mostly due to the international sales and somebody claimed how they didn't matter?

Because they (Hollywood) see less of that net when it comes from international sales.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
walw:
Quote:
Remember everyone pounding on that international sales meant zilch for Pacific Rim?

It made $400 million total. I'm not sure how that means nothing.

Quote:
Ah well, figures that the only competent anime/manga-related adaptation would bomb.

It's not the only one. Scott Pilgrim, too. Though I guess you could call the new Godzilla a hit, since it has a manga tie-in, too. Anyway, the reason EoT was so 'competent' was that the concept was basic and not steeped in Japanese culture. But it had the other problem of appealing primarily to male geeks.

Quote:
Because they (Hollywood) see less of that net when it comes from international sales.

If that's the case, then by your logic, Avatar was a bomb. 'Cus there's no way it could be a 'hit' without the overseas support, if it really cost a half a billion dollars to make. [At least that's the figure I've heard. I know Wikipedia says something else, but Hollywood accounting, etc. ]

Beatdigga: Minority Report and Oblivion made money, but I like EoT more than either one of 'em. And I've said this before, but as much as I also prefer 'All You Need is Kill', female audiences would avoid a movie with that name like the plague. I think they were generous enough to have supported Vanilla Sky, considering its subject matter.

Quote:
You took one for the team, Cruise, so that the likes of GitS and AKIRA will never be greenlit.

If Neuromancer still has a chance of happening, then so does GITS. But either way, that's obviously not why Cruise signed up for EoT. He allegedly only generally supports films he believes in, though I guess he even likes to have fun with his picks every now and then. [*cough* Rock of Ages *cough*]
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote
I went and saw it Saturday, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I was on the fence about seeing it, as I'm not really a Cruise fan. But he did alright in this one. Paxton is always great in rolls that he can just let loose, it was quite awhile before I stopped referring to him as Chet.

There were only 6 people in the Imax theater, I went to see Godzilla in what would have been the same showing as this one and there was only 4 empty seats. So I was thinking without seeing any numbers that it might not be doing to well in the ticket numbers.
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Of course Cruise finally makes a good sci-fi film and no one watches.

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Preferred "All you need is kill" as a title.

I was leaning towards "Groundhog's War". Laughing

When I first started seeing stuff about this I was thinking (No in a dismissive way) it's going to be like Groundhog's day only in a military sci-fi genera.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1