• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Drops of God

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I thought this was written by Jason up until the last paragraph.

But yeah, it's a pity Vertical never published more. I don't think it needs to be mentioned that this series is all the rage in France - I recently saw all the volumes displayed quite prominently in a little comic shop that had hardly any other manga. The French editions have the original cover illustrations, too.

I've understood that Vertical was forced to stop publishing because the creators themselves were unhappy with the low sales, though. And if I remember right it was also their idea to try skipping forward in the story.

Last edited by ptj_tsubasa on Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It's strange what kind of manga became a hit. Drops of God is credited for dramatically increasing wine sales in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan.

I also remember when finding Thermae Romae and being baffled a manga about baths sold over 2.5 million copies. What? How?!

Guess it's manga in Japan having a wider demographic then entertainment here.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I would've picked this up on the authors' names alone. But I'm also a sucker for foodie manga--and this is coming from someone who's allergic to alcohol! DX

It's a shame so little of it was published state-side though; I tend to enjoy stories that center around other cultures. ^^; Gonna' have to add this to my "must read someday" list for sure!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm bummed that the series stopped after only a few volumes here, but Vertical said, here in the ANN forums, that sales were poor, so what are you going to do?
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
According to Kibayashi (Tadashi Agi is one of the pseudonyms), he said he wanted the manga to jump ahead over here for some semblance of a conclusion and jump forward, but if sales pick up enough, there will be volumes to fill the gap between vol.4 and New World, so yeah, share the word on the manga, I find it absolutely incredible and it would be a blessing if we got to see all of it in print over here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
This is one of a couple manga that was complete and fully released in the States. I also wish there were more episodes of the Live-Action tv series, the actor's were just right for the show.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
There's a "Ten Cent Manga" header under the logo that apparently carried over from last week's column.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:38 am Reply with quote
Oh well, we'll still have Sherlock Bones.
JR-1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I've never met a food manga I didn't like. And there are so many!

There are quite a lot, though I'd say they aren't as prevalent as some other more popular genres such as romcom and action.

I usually like cooking manga too, but I remember there's a cooking manga I don't like. I don't remember the title, but it's because it's over the top not in a good way. I remember that the protagonists fight a stereotypical Texan man opening a chain burger store in Japan who's kicking the protagonist's local burger cart while screaming "Only a real American can make a real burger".

Quote:

witten by Tadashi Agi (the pseudonym of a brother-sister team also responsible for scripting the excellent mystery series Kindaichi Case Files)

Typo there. Anyway, I know that they are a pair of siblings who like to read wine, but I'm rather surprised when I found they actually wrote a lot of manga under different pseudonyms. It was when I read Shibatora and realized "Eh, this plot twist feels a lot like Bloody Monday" and look at their bibliography.

Don't have anything to add about Drops of God itself. It is released in full in our country though... (still up to vol 20, but considering we got Ippo up to vol 99 I'd say we got a good chance for a full release to the end.)
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Have all the volumes released. I'm downright ticked off we probably won't be getting the rest... It's a great manga! Very informative, good artwork, and quite unusual. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, but what keeps me from doing so is the fact that it's no longer published. Can't blame the pub though, if sales aren't good, then they aren't good... Sad
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I adore the Drops of God.
It's truly a shame the series couldn't go further in English when it's so addictive once you read it. You can find yourself reading page after page and then realizing what time it is so you had better stop.

I wouldn't have known it had been licensed in English at first if I hadn't come across an article that talked about it in a wine magazine. Unfortunately, it took me a little bit of time to purchase the English books but, I'm so glad I did. I used the New World volume for an idea on what wine to get as a going away present for a friend since I'm not terribly familiar with Californian wine. (I've developed a little bit of a complex around stock managers. I usually seem to either annoy or hurt their feelings when I ask about certain wines or regions for some reason.)

I've also promoted the manga to friends but, it's starting to get a little difficult since volume 4 is out of print. Amazon is also the only place I've seen selling the eBook version of that volume.Sad I'd consider buying the English volumes digitally too if they were offered on more platfoms.

Quote:
Over in Japan, however, The Drops of God is 44 volumes long and still has two Apostles to go.

I could be wrong since I'm not that far yet but, I thought 44 was the end since the series finished up recently?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I think Kibayashi siblings were named one of the top 50 most important people in wine industry way back when this manga was still popular. They can increase the sale of the wine that mention on the latest chapter by 30%, 70% in Asia.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:

I could be wrong since I'm not that far yet but, I thought 44 was the end since the series finished up recently?

The last chapter was just published two weeks ago, so the total tally will most likely be 45 or 46, depending on how much behind the volume releases lag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1