• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Keiji Inafune's Azure Striker Gunvolt Will Not Have English Voices

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohdin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, this is really good news.

Not for the weeb factor, but because of budgeting issues. With Inafune's budget on this game, I think the English dub would have been absolutely atrocious. Like, Chaos Wars-level bad.

It's not like there's gonna be people who WON'T buy it because of the lack of English voices.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
WOOT!

Not against English dubs, but since so few games have dual audio options... I at least get the game in the language I know I want.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:

Not for the weeb factor, but because of budgeting issues. With Inafune's budget on this game, I think the English dub would have been absolutely atrocious. Like, Chaos Wars-level bad.

It's not like there's gonna be people who WON'T buy it because of the lack of English voices.

You clearly haven't heard of the #NoDubNoBuy movement going on the Vita lately.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
First I've seen of this game. Looks pretty cool actually.

However, since there isn't a dub, that could be a deal breaker for not only me, but other Americans as well. That's a shame indeed.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
wohdin wrote:

I'm sure all three Vita owners will sure incentivize publishers to spend more money on niche games
razisgosu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
wohdin wrote:

I'm sure all three Vita owners will sure incentivize publishers to spend more money on niche games

*10 million, not 3. But that's not the point here.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
wohdin wrote:

*10 million, not 3. But that's not the point here.

Vita's only sold about 4 million units.

By comparison 3DS has sold 45 million units.

Vita's user base is not relevant. Its a essentially a dead system.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Vita's only sold about 4 million units.

By comparison 3DS has sold 45 million units.

Vita's user base is not relevant. Its a essentially a dead system.

Vita recently surpassed 3 million units just in Japan. Current estimates are around 10 million globally. That's only a fraction of what the 3DS has moved, but still more than twice what you're claiming, and not dead enough to where publishers can't make money off of it. The constant announcements from Japanese third parties and western indie developers are proof of that. With that out of the way, I suggest both of you stop. Vita's software viability or lack thereof has no bearing on a 3DS game not getting an English dub.

The overall sentiment about no one really caring about a dub for Gunvolt (and let's be honest here, Mighty No. 9 too) is true, at least for me. Frankly I couldn't care less about any voice acting in these games. Unlike the titles that have made a certain portion of the Vita camp bitter, Mega Man games rarely have anything even approaching decent voice acting. The stories contained in the adventures don't really require speech anyway. I doubt that won't be the case for these off-brand entries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1