• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise #1-2's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilentCid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Would rather have Mary Elizabeth McGlynn be Motoko instead.
Felis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
So Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is cast as Kurutsu and not Major Kusanagi. That's disappointing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
SilentCid wrote:

I do see that and it does make sense but even the Japanese version lacks Atsuko Tanaka (For Naruto fans, she played Konan) as Motoko.

The fact that they were able of getting Mary should be considered a nod to GitS fans.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
As this is a slightly different incarnation of GitS than SAC was, and Motoko is more petite, there was no particular reason to have McGlynn as Motoko anyway, but why put her on the cast at all and tease people? I guess you can justify it by saying it's a nod for the fans, but come on.

And stop casting Sabat as Epcar roles, Funimation. His Jigen was middling, I can't imagine his Batou will be any better.

Other than that, I'll certainly give the dub a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
spinja446

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
SilentCid wrote:

You are kidding right? McGlynn's deep tone of voice doesn't look anywhere close to matching this new iteration of Motoko.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to feel about this. The only reason I did not go for the import releases was because I was wondering what they were doing with the English dub. I thought FUNimation would be going for the SAC cast (as much as possible, or at least the very core one of Motoko, Batou, Aramaki, etc.), but since I have all but forsaken FUNimation's house dubs lately, I might be giving those imports a second look. I have never been too keen on another group of actors doing "established" voices, either (very old dubs notwithstanding, a la Sailor Moon).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
j Talbain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
I don't know how to feel about this. The only reason I did not go for the import releases was because I was wondering what they were doing with the English dub. I thought FUNimation would be going for the SAC cast (as much as possible, or at least the very core one of Motoko, Batou, Aramaki, etc.), but since I have all but forsaken FUNimation's house dubs lately, I might be giving those imports a second look. I have never been too keen on another group of actors doing "established" voices, either (very old dubs notwithstanding, a la Sailor Moon).

I'm there with you. I was holding out for the SAC cast... Now IDK if I'll just import or suck it up and deal with all these changes. I don't like change!
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
SilentCid wrote:

I do see that and it does make sense but even the Japanese version lacks Atsuko Tanaka (For Naruto fans, she played Konan) as Motoko.

The fact that they were able of getting Mary should be considered a nod to GitS fans.

if we are going by that,the Japanese version also has a nod to previous GITS.Maaya Sakamoto plays this Motoko,and she played the child Motoko both in the original movie(back when she was just a teenager herself)and even reprised the child years later in the SAC series
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I understand that they wanted a "younger" sounding cast for some of the voices to match the tone and that some of them "needed" to be changed to attain this, but removing Epcar (Batou), Freeman (Togusa), and Knight (Aramaki) are laughable decisions.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
I might be giving those imports a second look.

j Talbain wrote:
Now IDK if I'll just import or suck it up and deal with all these changes. I don't like change!

What are you two going on about? Why not just buy the Funimation release for $23-$35 depending where you buy? You get Dual Audio/Subbed and two episodes at a cheaper price. I'm mean you could spend $50 on one episode and end up paying more in the long run...
daichi383

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
While i liked Maxwell from what i've seen of her in AoT, the rest of these don't sit well with me. Organ doesn't have the buttery smooth sound Freeman has and i never like Sabat in Epcar roles either. Just 2 very different sounds. I'm not a fan of Swasey especially unless he can do a good enough voice match and going by his Gendou i don't have much hope. Not a fan of the casting and Funi using "the japanese did it too" as an excuse just annoys me. Theres no way they'll have assembled a cast with the same level of skill but i do generally tend to like Zach Bolton dubs. I'll give it a shot when its released either way.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
SilentCid wrote:

She did fine as young Makoto in SAC, which is who Maaya Sakamoto played in SAC before playing her in Arise. Her young voice works fine. This casting is a let down.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
I might be giving those imports a second look.

j Talbain wrote:
Now IDK if I'll just import or suck it up and deal with all these changes. I don't like change!

What are you two going on about? Why not just buy the Funimation release for $23-$35 depending where you buy? You get Dual Audio/Subbed and two episodes at a cheaper price. I'm mean you could spend $50 on one episode and end up paying more in the long run...

I can't confirm but I heard the Japanese ones have 5.1 audio. Generally US releases omit 5.1 Japanese option and only have 2.0 for JP audio and 5.1 for the bland dubs. That's reason enough for me, on an action film like this. On the other hand, while I was trying to confirm whether or not the JP release has 5.1, I noticed a lot of the reviews on amazon Japan are pretty bad for this show, so that's a bit of a let down...though I wasn't expecting much after seeing the trailers anyway.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I can't confirm but I heard the Japanese ones have 5.1 audio. Generally US releases omit 5.1 Japanese option and only have 2.0 for JP audio and 5.1 for the bland dubs. That's reason enough for me, on an action film like this. On the other hand, while I was trying to confirm whether or not the JP release has 5.1, I noticed a lot of the reviews on amazon Japan are pretty bad for this show, so that's a bit of a let down...though I wasn't expecting much after seeing the trailers anyway.

here are the details on Funi's site.

Includes: Eps 1 - 2
Format: Blu-ray & DVD
Language: English,Japanese
Subtitles: English
Closed Captioning: No
Rating: TV-MA
Aspect Ratio: 16x9
Main Feature Video: 1080p High Definition 16x9 (HD Native)
Special Feature Video: 1080p/1080i High Definition 16x9 (HD Native)
Main Feature Audio: Dolby TrueHD: English 5.1,Dolby TrueHD: Japanese 5.1
Special Feature Audio: Dolby TrueHD: English 2.0,Dolby TrueHD: Japanese 2.0,Dolby TrueHD: Japanese 5.1
Main Feature Runtime: 114
Special Feature Runtime: 71
Region: A|1
Number of Blu-ray Discs: 2
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
No epcart as Bato ohy my...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3