• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day [Collector's Edition] BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting add-on to the TV show, but I am glad I bought the bare-bones Blu-ray rather than spending the money on the Collector's Edition. And this is definitely not a movie for those who did not watch the TV show.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
This movie was beautiful. Don't believe any of the crap in the review. Must see for all AnoHana fans.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I liked this movie largely for the first 15 minutes of new footage, as stated in the review. I was a little disappointed with it from there, considering that I had heard it was going to be some kind of retelling from Menma's point of view, rather than a somewhat slopping recap film. I definitely still enjoyed it though, and didn't think it was really melodramatic since, after all, most of the scenes in the film were straight from the series and saying that I loved the TV series would be an understatement.
All in all, the whole "Photo Album" thing worked well enough and I feel that the CE is worth it for anyone who is an avid fan of the TV series, even as much as I hate cash-grabs like this.

Last edited by relyat08 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I bought the limited edition of the movie, and I liked the film. I agree with the reviewer that the extra insight to the tv series is great. I would recommend this movie to fans of the series because it is not simply a recap movie; it adds some valuable stuff to the franchise.

If you are not familiar with the tv series, you might not appreciate the movie as much as already established fans should do. But you might get something from it if you decide to give it a go even without prior exposure to the tv series because the movie is emotional and well made.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:51 pm Reply with quote
if people see this movie first, should they bother with the TV series?
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have a feeling I will share the same frustration stated in the review after the first 15 minutes. First, even though I love AnoHana, I really, really hate recaps. Second, I wish the movie were instead the first 15 mins new material, then moved on to a proper epilogue of what happened next, how they got on with their lives.

This would've at least provided some drama or tension and actual plot material. I really wish we could see more of other characters and the most interesting of all for me was Tsurumi Chiriko.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I imported the collectors edition and glad I did. I love the extras it came with and the extensive soundtrack is glorious.

You will have to watch the series first for much of the film to make sense or understand it's significance and it's a fantastic add on to the series as it divulges further into their past and the events of that day.

I didn't really find problems with the pacing or the way it was meshed together, I felt the snippets from the series worked well with the new content in the film as one flowed well into the other.

If you were a fan of the series the movie is a must see!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
if people see this movie first, should they bother with the TV series?

I'm not sure you could enjoy the movie without seeing the series first. Yes, they cover the same events, with the movie just tacking on its "one year later" bits, but since they jump around three different time periods, and since the ending of Menma's story is a given as the movie begins, I can't imagine making any sense of the movie if it were your first experience with anohana.

If any part of the franchise is optional, it's the movie, not the series.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
The AnoHana movie is weird...it's kind of innately pointless over the TV series and the new content just makes some really inconsequential coda to the whole thing, but I guess if anything, it makes things go out on a more reserved note for those who may have found the TV series' ending too crushing. The streamlined nature of the content doesn't give enough room to breath for all the sad parts so it comes off as really sappy and melodramatic when condensed as such, depriving the core series of some of its power. When I watched it with my friend who hadn't seen the series to compare our reactions, I'd get a lot of tugs from remembering some of the big scenes but he felt a little distant since he didn't know the whole context (and again, lack of proper build-up and breathing room) but said he'd be curious to watch the series. In the end, it's not terrible but it just doesn't really make much sense to exist, I guess kind of like Eva: Death and Rebirth but not as bad. The series I'd say is a strong B+/A- while I guess I'd give the movie a B-, but again, it is pretty pointless, so weigh the story how you will.

Last edited by Angel'sArcanum on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
This movie was beautiful. Don't believe any of the crap in the review. Must see for all AnoHana fans.

Chiibi wrote:
This movie was beautiful. Don't believe any of the crap in the review. It'
s dead wrong about "adding nothing". Must see for all AnoHana fans.

Don't be an angry fanboy. ...Fangirl. Whichever.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I really didn't like the movie, and I was really looking forward to it when the Brattle announced that they were going to screen it. It just felt like it highlighted more of the flaws of the series than its strengths. Considering that it's a recap of the series, I don't think making me want to rewatch the series so I can forget the movie is a good thing.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I love the TV series even though I don't remember much about it. I tried the movie with hype but met with disappointment. The first few minutes look good but then threw a bunch of random recaps. I don't hate recaps, they sometime do their job to remind us viewers, but Anohana's recap is just frustrating. For newcomers, they don't bring much; for old viewers, while the recaps seem good for a while, prolonging them is just makes you less interest in the movie, they were thrown at random and each is as long as a TV episode. Just how long the movie was anyway? I thought that the movie was going to be Menma's point of view not the group's. The only moment she retold was near the end.

While I still enjoyed the movie for what its worth, I find it underwhelming. It did give the TV series a more closure ending. Well they can just cut the recaps shorter and put the new parts in a long OVA or something.

Last edited by Takamachi Ryoko on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I really need to pick this up dunno which version to buy...the Aniplex USA release looks pretty gold with that soundtrack and all. I went all out for the TV Blu-ray discs back in '11 (literally like HALF A GRAND ALL OUT, the exchange rate was wretched back then) so I might want to do the same for the movie at least for completionists sake. 30% less cash spent this time around lol. Honestly haven't even seen the movie yet. It will be one of those rare blind buys theatrical run never made it to my area even though I practically begged for it. There's no way I'll not like it, anohana is fanf*ckingtastic in my eyes. My absolute favorite Okada script. Top ten material, at least as far as TV anime from '00 and up goes.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's an important addition because the TV series originally climaxed with a dramatic game of hide-and-seek that allowed Menma to say goodbye to her friends as adults. There's just one problem. The entire emotion-riddled episode played out like a callback to something we had never actually seen happen. We never saw the Busters playing hide-and-seek as children, or what it might have meant to them then, so any symbolic meaning the conclusion was meant to have was lost on the audience in favor of sheer blunt-force teardrop removal.

... so any possible symbolic ending that the TV series had was weak? Good thing that the group finding the invisible Menma was very literal then?

{Reconnect with their childhood as represented by the child Menma, representing everything they had and lost, thanks to the great god Puberty. I mean Death, yeah...}

Never saw the movie but unless she could turn invisible, I can't see the importance though I love the whole "There's just one problem" comment of it. What could it have been: The overacting of the cast as their relive and relieve their guilt? Her ability to interact physically with cast despite being invisible meaning the show should only have been, say, the length of a movie? Perhaps it was how easily the romantic ties formed once the guy who knew the girl he loved died five years ago, realized she died five years ago, accepted she died five years ago... learned what five years does to an 11 year old girl?

Ah, keep it clean. Certainly the show did, even if there were hints here and these...

Was it Poppo? Seriously, what's wrong with him? Start with the nickname, work your way up.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Including the parts of the review that also say the movie is beautiful! Those are wrong. The movie is not beautiful, it is beautiful.

Visual aid for the spin cycle phenomenon I mentioned in the review. Once her eyes are finished, we can move the load to the dryer! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3