• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Watch the Pocky Pole Project Drop Giant Pocky and Pretz-Shaped Sticks Via Skydivers

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
And for once, there's another J-company who's looking to challenge beyond Japanese shores, rather than just being satisfied within Japan:

Ezaki Glico aims to conquer world with Pocky stick snacks

• OSAKA — For the first time in its 92-year history, Japanese snacks maker Ezaki Glico is getting serious about growing overseas, aiming to fatten its Pocky biscuit into a $1 billion brand to rival global giants such as Hershey’s and Oreo.

The company’s Glico brand and its 48-year-old stick-shaped, chocolate-coated Pocky pretzels are household names in Japan but elsewhere the marque has stalled, capping the firm’s overseas business at just a tenth of its $3 billion revenue.

Now, the company is rewriting its branding and marketing strategies for Pocky, targeting a more than doubling in sales to $1 billion by 2020. Only 21 snack brands in the world belong to the billion-dollar club, none of them Asian.

The plan involves the adoption of the Pocky name everywhere except Europe, where a joint venture is complicating matters, plus uniform new packaging and a universal tagline: “Share Happiness”.

“The hurdles are high, but if they succeed it would mean a huge boost to profits,” said Tomonobu Tsunoyama, senior analyst at Tokai Tokyo Research Center, the research arm of Tokai Tokyo Securities.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1