• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Here is Greenwood

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
{User banned following massive 'vandalism' of own past posts -- abunai}

Last edited by Moros on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Same thing happened to my recordable CDs and DVD-Rs, and I felt very screwed. But the tips do help, a lot, for the next time I do some burning.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I got the word about recordable media from a newspaper article. It reported that pretty much all DVDR's and CDR's have a limited lifespan; anywhere between 2 and 10 years depending on quality and care. I actually thought it was a bunch of hoo-haw but I guess it's true. I just hope this doesn't cause a panic for us DVD archivists (which I am).

Well now I know who I'm changing my avatar to next. Actually I have been considering changing my avatar to Shun for quite some time now, I just haven't gotten around to finding a decent picture of him.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I actually had an entire binder of DVD+Rs go bad last year. That was most of my backups, music, video and otherwise.

Since then I've moved to using external hard drives as storage.
Enchantertim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:57 pm Reply with quote
CD / DVD rot doesn't just happen to recordable discs, either. It's common on music CDs from the early nineties that were pressed by Phillips/DuPont, and even some Laserdiscs.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
I had seen some of Here is Greenwood back in the day, I do remember enjoying it. Though I didn't know it came out on dvd or that the manga came out. I looked it up on Viz's site and I was like I swear I've never seen one in a books store (some titles are just hard to come by though like the earlier copies of Please Save my Earth). I'll have to see if I find find both, these might be good Otakon "quests" for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I actually had an entire binder of DVD+Rs go bad last year. That was most of my backups, music, video and otherwise.

Since then I've moved to using external hard drives as storage.

Note: you don't need a seperate external hard drive case for each seperate hard drive you're backing up to. Leave the case plugged into the computer, just swap the drives, you'll save a little bit of money that way.
Raja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:01 am Reply with quote
I found two Sydney Forest songs on the iTunes store, but alas not the RIGHT two songs.

Fortunately for me, I ripped that disc to my computer long ago...
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Enchantertim wrote:
CD / DVD rot doesn't just happen to recordable discs, either. It's common on music CDs from the early nineties that were pressed by Phillips/DuPont, and even some Laserdiscs.

It is actually more common in Laser Discs as I have a good number of LDs with problems. Due to the size of the discs and the double layer there is a higher chance of having air in the LDs to rot them. I can't wait until orbital stations can make DVDs in a complete vacuum, but until then rot will be an issue.

Justin, I hope that this will be taken into account with the IATV DVDR releases. I understand that it might be too late for the first batch (I hope not) but at least the future discs can be encoded as DVD+R on a major label. Even if this brings the cost up by a couple of dollars I think this is a good idea, and people would be understanding if this is explained. I personally hope that the sales figures will be enough to justify getting the next batch of classics pressed as full commercial DVD9. At least I hope that Cat's Eye sells well enough for the second season to go with a DVD batch.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:10 am Reply with quote
As an animator, I rely quite a bit on recordable DVDs as data storage (although I rely moreso on external hard drives--I'm on my 3rd 200 GB for the time being), and have had my share of rude awakenings. I had an entire set of Foley sounds go bad since they were burned onto cheap CDs and when I was prepping my film for festival submissions a little over a year ago, I was horrified to discover that half of my burned discs didn't play properly--and some had been sent out in the mail already. Now I burn everything at the slowest setting, on high-quality printable discs.

As a precaution, I try to back up all of my work on both DVDs and my hard drives (which aren't infallible either, by the way--my first external hard drive crashed during my second semester as a college freshman and I lost 40 GB of information, including all the films I had made up until then).

Oh, and concerning Here is Greenwood, I was unfortunate enough to have first encountered the TAJ Productions VHS dub and I hated it so much I couldn't get past the first episode. People tell me it's really good, but whenever I think Here is Greenwood I cant get those... robot... voices... out... of... my... head.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
Eh, this is the thing I probably envy most about manga fans. All these DVDs and CDs I've spent thousands of dollars on are going to go bad eventually. Manga can last practically forever... I have a lot of fansubs and music I keep on DVD-Rs/CD-Rs and those will probably be the first to go... I try not to think about it... All my hard work and CD/DVD searching will be gone... Thanks for making that list of ways to preserve them, a few things I didn't know...
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:17 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Yeah I got the word about recordable media from a newspaper article. It reported that pretty much all DVDR's and CDR's have a limited lifespan; anywhere between 2 and 10 years depending on quality and care. I actually thought it was a bunch of hoo-haw but I guess it's true. I just hope this doesn't cause a panic for us DVD archivists (which I am).

Well, that might be a TAD alarmist. Manufacturers claim up to 100 years (around the same , but we obviously won't know until they all start dying on us. The oldest CD-R's in my collection (burned around 1995) still work just fine.

Randall, the new DVD-On-Demand spec doesn't allow us to choose between DVD-R or +R (and I'm not sure which it's based on); however they do use good discs so hopefully they have the same longevity as pressed ones.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:07 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Well, that might be a TAD alarmist. Manufacturers claim up to 100 years (around the same , but we obviously won't know until they all start dying on us. The oldest CD-R's in my collection (burned around 1995) still work just fine.

The older ones, especially those by Taiyo Yuden, are among the best. Same for Kodak's with Phthalocyanine dye and gold reflective layer -- this is the one that claims to survive over a century. Those newer and cheaper brandless ones are not very durable. In average, DVD +/- are less durable than CD-R, and the cheapest DVD can degrade in a few months.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:42 am Reply with quote
I'm so amused. I'm a library science student, focusing on archive/manuscripts (and just finished a 10-month internship in the manuscripts section of a research library.) I'm amused by the fact that my career goals can be so useful for my hobbies. While I don't have anything irreplaceable on CD-R or DVD-R currently, I've been pondering an extra hard drive for stuff, and potentially some archival quality CD-Rs for a certain writing project I've been doing for the past couple of years. Don't forget the importance of archival quality pens for writing on the media. The manuscripts librarian I worked with swore by them. I believe she usually purchased hers from Light Impressions. Item# 20721 CD-DVD Safe Pen, $3.99 per 2-pack. They also sell the Archival Gold CD-R and DVD-Rs, not to mention storage for such media. The librarian I worked with mainly used Light Impressions for her home collection (mainly due to the limited selection of items that we actually needed--they're more photography-focused), but she frequently recommended them for non-institutional needs.

Anyway, I certainly learned something new today. I always thought that Here is Greenwood was just another romantic comedy targeted at teen boys. Looks like I was a bit off on that. Now it's definitely something I want to see! (I've had some issues with 'romantic' comedies targeted at teen boys. They rub me the wrong way pretty often, so I've been hesitant to watch them much recently.)
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote
Here is Greenwood has long been one of my favourites among light comedy anime. It's funny and charming, and even though the anime does sort of meander all over the place, presenting more a series of vignettes from the manga than an actual, coherent storyline, it still works very well.

My one complaint about this review is that it spoils one of the funniest gags in the anime, which incidentally means spoiling most of episode 1. I'm talking, of course, about the truth regarding Shun. This should not have been spelled out so clearly in the review, I feel.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4