• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Go! Princess Precure's Story, Characters, Staff Unveiled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The anime depicts the excitement of dorm life, coming of age while living with friends, and the anticipation and anxiety of a new life among roommates, separated from family.

Now THIS I can relate to! I lived in a dorm for a couple semesters during my sophomore year of college, and being away from my family definitely had both its benefits and drawbacks. Now this gives me more reason to watch it!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I've never watched a precure anime, but this one sounds interesting so I'd like to try it out.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I think this might be my first precure. It sounds interesting and relatable with the whole dorm bit! Plus I want to watch a 4 cour anime as it airs. I've wanted it for a long time. But there are so very few 4 cour anime made any more. Given my penchant for magical girl shows, it's kind of surprising I haven't watched any PreCure yet...
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
A Precure set in a boarding school? That's a first, Kanata makes me concerned as we already had romantic elements in Happiness Charge and it didn't fare well. If this has full on romance this may flop more than Doki Doki. The girls also look high school aged not middle school and can be compared to very old shoujo (mid 70's), I can see the doujin artists already at work on them for Summer Comiket.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Seems like they are going for fairy-tales again. The boarding school setting can easily go both ways, but it's at least an interesting idea.

Hoppy800 wrote:
A Precure set in a boarding school? That's a first, Kanata makes me concerned as we already had romantic elements in Happiness Charge and it didn't fare well. If this has full on romance this may flop more than Doki Doki.

Doki Doki flopped? I don't know about the numbers it got, but I did find it the 2nd best Precure series, so this comes as a susprise for me.
BZ Choy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
A large part of the fandom didn't like Doki Doki. It is largely considered to be the worst Precure series yet.

Regarding Go Princess Precure, considering how the previous seasons for the last few years went, I doubt the series will get physical combats back like in the first seasons and Hearcatch so I have little hype for it and that was what attracted me to Precure in the first place.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:20 am Reply with quote
Toei Animation some months ago said they want to make some changes in the basic premise of the whole franchise itself (the last major change being Fresh Pretty Cure! from 2009-2010), and it appears that the new series will be quite different from previous Pretty Cure seasons. Just the fact it is happening at a boarding school is going to be a major change, to say the least.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
Sounds like the most interesting one since Heartcatch, the designs aren't terrible, but those princess dresses >.>
BZ Choy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Well one good thing I can say about the new series is that the character design sure looks pretty.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
IceKirby wrote:
Seems like they are going for fairy-tales again.

Smile Precure was AWFUL. Hope this one is better
pcj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
BZ Choy wrote:
A large part of the fandom didn't like Doki Doki. It is largely considered to be the worst Precure series yet.

Probably depends on what part of the internet you hang out on. Most of the people I interacted with over the course of DokiDoki airing really enjoyed it, and many even consider it the best of the franchise. There were some people who didn't, but it was far from "a large part of the fandom" at least in the crowds I hung out with. YMMV if you hang out in a different part of the Internet than I for discussing Precure of course Smile
BZ Choy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
I stand corrected.

I do think Doki Doki is one of the, if not the worst Precure series I've watched though. Even Suite was a bit more enjoyable.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:59 am Reply with quote
The designs look awesome and premise sounds interesting. I'm very much looking forward to this one.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
IceKirby wrote:

Smile is my favorite Precure series of all and one of my favorite animes in general Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The heroine Haruka Haruno is a first-year student at Noble Academy. Even now, she has cherished a dream of becoming a princess, like those from her precious picture books. Long ago, she made a promise with a boy named Kanata to never give up the dream.

Hmm, that premise feels familiar yet that was a bit more deconstructive. I wonder if Toei will have the balls again to have a female prince character just like when we had a crossdressing one in Heartcatch.
IceKirby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'm not in the business of constesting other people's personal tastes, but I'd like to at least know what were the main complaints people had with Doki Doki. I can see why some people would, for example, hate how the Regina and Cure Ace were dealt with, but other than that I'm not sure what else is seen as a problem.

Maybe it's just a case of it being controversial rather than hated. I too have seen way more praise than hate on the sites I frequent, and at least fanart wise, Doki Doki seems to be one of the most loved of the franchise by artists (not that this means anything, but it's often a sign).

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
IceKirby wrote:

I don't think the fairy-tales theme was a problem with Smile. I too think there was some problems with Smile, but not the theme. What irked me with that one is how poorly characters were developed and how formulaic it looked (something like "2 main plot episodes, then a sequence of 5 episodes each focusing on of the girls, then 1 or 2 general episodes", rinse and repeat).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2