• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's your favorite anime/Japanese music and why?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RommieSG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
My favorite soundtrack from Anime is an obvious one. It's Cowboy Bebop. The way the Jazz music fits into the story and invokes the proper emotion at all the right times, shows how masterful Yoko Kanno is when formulating her compositions. Sometimes I find myself listening to a certain track, and then thinking back on when I heard this in the series. In some cases, it brings back that emotion, and in others it accentuates it.

Not many soundtracks can say they evoke such powerful emotions.
rumblingtwist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
My favorite music depends on my mood. What situation I'm in. How I'm feeling. Right now I'm very tired so I'm listening to instrumentals now. And I believe Ai Yori Aoshi has one of the best relaxing instrumentals.

1. Promise - Toshio Masuda
2. Cherry Blossoms - Toshio Masuda
3. Parting - Toshio Masuda
4. Feel at Ease - Toshio Masuda
5. History - Toshio Masuda

Listening to these songs make me feel like I'm floating. Like I'm flying and I'm one with nature. I think it's because of the very Japanese tone to these instrumentals. The native Japanese instruments used make it sound so natural but there's a light modern twist to it. The songs also make me feel emotional like the music itself is drawing out deep emotions.

Whenever I close my eyes while listening to these songs, I can see pictures or at least scenes. All going very slowly. I'm going with the flow of nature and just like that, I feel all my tiredness slowly melt away.
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I really love LiSA. She pretty and very talented.
Cuddle Hugsie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
I'm not really an anime fan but my niece and my daughter like listening to the song by Nana Mizuki Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
MDPorter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
My favorite music in anime BGM instrumental music composed by Shiro Hamaguchi, Tomohisa Ishikawa, Elements Garden and probably 40 other composers which I am collecting. There is no greater pleasure to hear during fight scenes awesome full orchestral music sometimes with jazzy-groovy arrangements like can do Taku Iwasaki, Takayuki Negishi or Masamichi Amano. From new composer I liek Mikio Endo & Go Sakabe with his massive use of pipe organ in his composition.
And that is another reason why I like anime music, because composers aren´t affraid to use pipe organ in their scores.
I like anime music for its unique melody style, orchestration and that most of composer also arranging their or performing in their works.
So thank you Toshihiko Sahashi for open my ears for anime music during watching Full Metal Panic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUvs3NGkZII

I also like Japan Tv drama music mostly by Yugo Kanno, Kei Haneoka, Shin Kono, Masahiro Tokuda & Kenichiro Suehiro - because of beautiful orchestration and groovy sound.
Kazumi Seishu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
A while ago i found wagakki band covering vocaloid songs, from there i found doujinshi circles making different arrangements from touhou music,

From that i found some awesome Utaite, And ever since i've been addicted to Utaite, F9's voice is just so beautiful :3
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I love a lot of anime related music personally.

As far as music composers go, my favorite is Yuki Kajiura (Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica, Sword Art Online, and many more). I like that mix of classical instruments and and modern electric guitar riffs. Hiroyuki Sawano also has composed some seriously great modern classical music for Gundam UC and Aldnoah Zero. I'd also like to mention the amazing work of Yasuharu Takanashi who successfully combines instrumental rock with traditional Japanese or Irish music such as in Fairy Tail and Naruto Shippuden.

As for individual artists/bands, my favorites are mainly JRock/metal stuff like Buck Tick, Kalafina, Psychic Lover, MELL, and KOTOKO because it falls in line with my already established love for rock and metal. However, I also like JPop, and other forms of Japanese music as well. Unfortuneately, my anime playlist has like 360 songs and it would be too much of a headache to give proper mentions to all the artists I like.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Part of the initial appeal was a different tonality in the music after listening to western music for so long, also the combination of visuals/stories related to the music, and also the atmosphere of visiting Japan, attending live shows and meeting some of the artists or just their responses on twitter.

For "solo" concerts I've managed to see Chiaki Ishikawa, Nana Mizuki, Angela, Yuki Kajiura, Minori Chihara, Lisa Komine and Kaori Oda. They all have an intensity to the songs they perform.

Last edited by omiya on Sun May 01, 2016 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Tefnod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
My favorite Japanese composer is Sugiyama Koichi. Though he is best known for being the chief composer of the "Dragon Quest" video-game franchise, he has all-so composed for several anime (most notably, in my opinion, "Kojika Monogatari"). I feel that his style, at times, recalls Shostakovich.
Shin-Ah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
My Favorite Anime music is "Akatsuki" from Shikata Akiko

simply unique and Wonderful
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
For me its Mina Kubota(my favorite), Yoshihiro Ike, and Kaoru Wada

They do such an excellent job on their music, and with Kubota, she is just an underrated composer. I just love her work and I hope to find more music from her.

KOTOKO is pretty much my all time favorite J-POP singer while TM Revolution is probably my favorite J-rock artist.
There so many J-POP and J-Rock artists that I couldn't be able to list them all in one day.
Same goes for other anime composers but I will mention some of their work:
Death Note
Durarara
Needless
Lain

As for video game composers I would have to go with:
Mahito Yokota - Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Koji Kondo - Mario series
Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill series
Masanori Adachi - Super Castlevania 4
Taro Kudo - Super Castlevania 4
Kanako Kakino - Klonoa 2
Eriko Imura - Klonoa 2
Asuka Sakai - Klonoa 2
Katsuro Tajima - Klonoa 2
Naoshi Mizuta - Final Fantasy XIII-2
Masashi Hamauzu - Final Fantasy XIII-2
Mutsuhito Suzuki - Final Fantasy XIII-2
Daisuke Ishiwatari - BlazBlue
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I love old Japanese movies from the 50's & 60's and a few of my favorite composers from that era include...

Fumio Hayasaka (Rashomon, Seven Samurai, & Ugetsu)
Hikaru Hayashi (Kuroneko & Onibaba)
Masaru Sato (The Bad Sleep Well, Throne of Blood, & Yojimbo)

These are my favorite composers for anime and the series I enjoyed their music in...

Kuniaki Haishima (Blue Gender, Gasaraki, & Neo Ranga)
Yuki Kajiura (Fate Zero, Kara no Kyoukai, & Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica)
Kenji Kawai (Bakuretsu Hunters, Blue Seed, & Vampire Princess Miyu)
Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop, Macross Plus, & Turn A Gundam)
Kou Otani (Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, & Pumpkin Scissors)
Shiro Sagisu (Kimagure Orange Road, Megazone 23, & Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Hiroyuki Sawano (Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, & Re:CREATORS)
Kohei Tanaka (Gunbuster, Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, & Sakura Taisen)

I also like the composers who did the music for AIR, Clannad, & Kanon.

I've recently become a fan of Koji Kikkawa and he is by far my most favorite Japanese singer of all time. I love the great songs he's done his 30+ year career as a singer. Kikkawa is also very sexy, both in his looks and voice...he was such a hottie in the 90's and cute looking back in the mid 80's when he began his career as a musician. He has fantastic stage presence in his live performances. Among my favorite songs by him include; "LA VIE EN ROSE", "INNOCENT SKY", "Setsunasa wo Korosenai", "Nobody's Perfect", "SAMURAI ROCK", and many others.

I also enjoy listening the songs Kikkawa performed with Tomoyasu Hotei as COMPLEX with such great songs like "BE MY BABY" and "1990" just to name a couple. Hotei himself is a truly impressive guitarist and one of the best rock guitarists ever.

Among my favorite anime song artists I like; earthmind, FLOW, Kalafina, Lia, TWO-MIX, Eir Aoi, Mami Ayukawa, Minami Kuribayashi, Hiroko Moriguchi, and Mai Yamane...just to name a few.

My favorite seiyuu artists are; Minori Chihara, Megumi Hayashibara, Aya Hisakawa, Junko Iwao, Hiroko Kasahara, Mariko Kouda. Houko Kuwashima, Rica Matsumoto, Maaya Sakamoto, & Chisa Yokoyama.

I'd also like to mention I love the songs by Kinuko Ohmori as Priss Asagiri and Maiko Hashimoto as Reika "Vision" Chang of Bubblegum Crisis and Mari Iijima as Lynn Minmay of Macross. I also enjoyed Hashimoto's songs she did as Rei Asagiri for Idol Densetsu Eriko.

Last edited by Mai Yukino on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:49 am; edited 6 times in total
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
Among my favorite anime song artists I like; earthmind, FLOW, Kalafina, Lia, TWO-MIX, Eir Aoi, Mami Ayukawa, Minami Kuribayashi, Hiroko Moriguchi, and Mai Yamane...just to name a few.

My favorite seiyuu artists are; Minori Chihara, Megumi Hayashibara, Aya Hisakawa, Junko Iwao, Hiroko Kasahara, Mariko Kouda. Houko Kuwashima, Rica Matsumoto, Maaya Sakamoto, & Chisa Yokoyama.

If you can get to hear some of these artists in a live setting, do so, as they put a lot into the live performances of anime songs.
Junjo

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Sunbeam vi Britannia wrote:
Kon'nichiwa anime aikō-ka Does anybody have any favorite anime musics that you watched, like their opening theme/ending theme musics?

For me, I liked most of them, like Bleach, Code Geass, Deathnote, and Full Metal Alchemist. Also, I liked the old anime series liked Eureaka 7's openings, Big O's, Lupin the 3rd's, and Neon Evengelion Genesis'. The best reasons why I love their musics is because they have good up-beat tempo, good quality, and their singing makes me feel happy. I also listened to the full versions of it
too, I love the piano, electric guitar, and any other music instruments being played. It sounds great. Even some sounds creepy and barely romantic. In my opinions.
I am happy to be here, I hope things go okay here. I love anime so much, I am looking forward into it.

That's cool, i love it thanks for sharing it with us!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5