• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attn: All eBay Sellers - Check Your Listings for Shipping Changes!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I received a message from a user just now asking me if I ship internationally. He asked because my listings clearly state that I do NOT in the item description, however, this particular one said it DOES ship internationally in the item header. So I check it out because sometimes I'll forget to click that particular option off when creating a listing and, sure enough, it was checked. I sent him a reply saying it was an error and thanked him for catching it.

Curious now, I decided to check all 30 or so of my items for sale to see if I had accidentally left this option available. I found that ALL my items listed before 2015 (about 20 of them) had now been been updated to reflect that they'll ship internationally via eBay's 'Global Shipping Program.' I have no idea how or why this has happened, but whatever the cause, I was never informed of these changes nor, obviously, did I ever agree to them.

So everyone who has items for sale whose listings were created prior to January 1 of this year, do yourself a favor and check to make sure this hasn't happened to you (if you don't ship internationally, that is). Seems eBay is up to their old tricks of favoring buyers and leaving sellers to fend for themselves once again.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I've sold some things through the international shipping program already. You ship it somewhere in Kentucky, then the buyer pays an additional fee from there or something, but I've yet to have that fee come back to me. Although a friend was forced to accept a return that arrived in another county "damaged" (it wasn't even in the slightest) and eBay screwed her over (at least she got the item back and sold it on Reddit or something). Yeah, eBay policies are that the buyers are always angels and the sellers are out to screw people over and if you have a bad buyer, there's just nothing you can do, it's why I tend to try and sell on here first. I really wish they acknowledged that buyers need bad feedback too sometimes, but they took that power away because a few big sellers probably did bully people unfairly, but now it's just screwed over everyone. The only thing I can do is not leave feedback until I've gotten feedback.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the main reason I avoid international buyers is because of their propensity to scam. It's easier to skirt laws for them and more difficult to rectify problems for me. Even though I'll eventually be compensated in the end, the hassle just isn't worth it. Plus I like knowing my items are going to worthy folks.

And same goes for me as far as waiting until I get feedback before leaving it. I send a generic email once the buyer pays stating just that because I had been receiving feedback at about a ratio of 1 for every 10 items sold for a while. Doing this has increased this ratio to about 5 out of 10.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
You should have the option to opt out of offering international shipping when you are tweaking all the features and settings for any items you post. I normally block anyone outside the US from being able to see my listings and ensure there are no international options offered for shipping since I don't want to go through all the complicated hassles of figuring out shipping costs and signing paperwork for importing stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I think it was 3 months ago I noticed that when I was making listings it was setup as default to allow for international shipping. I also seem to recall that a few of my listings also magically changed to allow for international shipping. I did sell a few items a long time ago to overseas buyers, but it was a hassle and there were some places that I wouldn't sell to which I put in my listings. I would be willing to try again, but I will wait until I think ebay has some of the bugs ironed out.

As far as feedback goes I don't even bother asking anymore. Some still won't leave feedback after a friendly reminder and some get annoyed at you for asking. I usually wait about 2 weeks after a sale and if the item was new I'll leave feedback irregardless. For everything else if the buyer doesn't leave feedback then I'm less inclined to do so as well.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that a while back as well! The listing in question was pretty specific about not shipping the item to Europe, yet it showed up on my list. I didn't buy that particular item because I thought that it was very weird at the time and it wasn't until later that I figured out that it must have showed up because of the international shipping program.
I've bought things through that program since and am really pleased with it to be honest. I was a bit annoyed when I first noticed the additional fee, but I've had nothing but good experiences with it. The items get a tracking number and it arrives pretty quickly.

I don't get why people don't leave feedback either. I sometimes forget to do it immediately upon receiving the items, but I always do it.
jroa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
The Global Shipping Program is often absurdly overpriced for what it offers to international buyers and I wouldn't recommend it even to sellers who actually want to allow overseas purchases.

Why? Because the GSP cost includes high charges that are non-refundable even when actual taxes paid are lower or not even applicable and items are sent far too slowly for what you're being charged. That's extra money that corporate vampires are sucking up, without the eBay seller nor any actual customs authorities seeing a single cent of it in such cases.

As you can tell, I don't support this program at all, and I'm glad that there are still various methods to avoid dealing with it. The fact eBay is pushing GSP on both buyers and sellers alike is a terrible development.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1