• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cosplayers Celebrate Black History Month with #28DaysOfBlackCosplay

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty cool. Learned about this on facebook and put up one of myself as Nick Fury on there.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Those are pretty boss. That Ryuko at the top gets points for being well done as well as daring enough to wear that outfit and *achem* lives up to certain stereotypes in the best of ways.

I really like the Spike too; the fit of his clothes, posture and expressions are very on point, even if it does give away that the upturned-collar thing looks sort of daft in real life.

I don't pay regular attention to cosplay, but when I do, I'm always very impressed by how elaborate and impressive some of the costumes are.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
This is very interesting to see, nice way to promote Black History Month. I wonder if we can have cosplay done by other minorities like Latino, that would be interesting to see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what Al Sharpton would think of this.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I admit that when I first saw the headline, I half-expected cosplayers in blackface. Shocked Glad that it was very much otherwise. Smile
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
I admit that when I first saw the headline, I half-expected cosplayers in blackface. Shocked Glad that it was very much otherwise. Smile

ANN wouldn't publish anything with a blackface, they would lose credibility and their readers too if they did that.
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty sweet Cyclops costume, though all of them were really good.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I love they're doing this. Especially with all of the nasty comments jerks make when black fans cosplay 'non white' characters. Hopefully this will bring some confidence to dark skinned fans that want to cosplay, but are too afraid.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
If it's ok, thought I would share a few things I've done:

http://hitokiri-kenshin.deviantart.com/art/Hello-Ms-LeBouf-375471578
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
That cosplay of Ryūko Matoi in her magical form looks super awesome! Very Happy

The other cosplays look fantastic as well!
D no Amerika

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
This is really nice. I really like the Naruto, Spike and Ed pics. I could post of myself as Kirito, but I don't have a twitter so oh well. XP
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I love they're doing this. Especially with all of the nasty comments jerks make when black fans cosplay 'non white' characters. Hopefully this will bring some confidence to dark skinned fans that want to cosplay, but are too afraid.

Ia gree, at first I tought this was pandering, but then I remembered the shit black cosplayers have to put up with for cosplaying asians even though it's perfectly ok for whites to do it or so it seems.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:18 pm Reply with quote
^Post the picture here if you want to.
Saw this on Twitter today; it's awesome! Love cool cosplay, and that Ryuko Matoi is brave and absolutely stunning (maybe it's easy to be brave when you have such a good figure Laughing). I have to check the rest of the cosplay later, the images don't show up on my phone.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
D no Amerika wrote:
This is really nice. I really like the Naruto, Spike and Ed pics. I could post of myself as Kirito, but I don't have a twitter so oh well. XP

I don't have twitter either. Learned about it via facebook.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
maximillianjenus wrote:
Ia gree, at first I tought this was pandering, but then I remembered the shit black cosplayers have to put up with for cosplaying asians even though it's perfectly ok for whites to do it or so it seems.

Really? I see tons of complaints about cultural appropriation when it comes to white people cosplaying. Especially if they try to do the old "well, anime characters look white anyway" mantra that get them called racist.

Though wouldn't it make more sense to celebrate black history by cosplaying actual black characters? Or characters made by black creators like Dwayne McDuffie? It is a month about celebrating black contributions to history, after all.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2