• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Poll Indicates Japan's Most Influential Weekly Shounen Manga Magazine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
A poll with only 100 people in the sample. Seems way too little.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprised to see Weekly Shōnen Jump getting the lion share of the votes, but...
ANN wrote:
100 men of various ages were selected. The results were decisive

Too small of a survey group for the subject. Way too small. The chances of randomness is too high, and 100% of the voters were from the same gender. One cannot proclaim to be "[country name]'s Most [adjective]" when the survey lacks plurality and wasn't done across society's various demographics.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Not too surprised to see Weekly Shōnen Jump getting the lion share of the votes, but...
ANN wrote:
100 men of various ages were selected. The results were decisive

You're not alone, as soon as I opened this article I knew Shonen Jump would take more then half of the pie. The problem with this poll is it's limited to 100 people, that's not a good way to measure. If it was 10,000 or 100,000 that that would be good enough. But to be honest, Shonen Jump would take up most of the chart no matter what because well it's Shonen Jump.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I know that 100 people is way tooo low to count as a serious poll, but c'mon, Shonen Jump would still be #1 by a wide margin, the number of polled people wouldn't change it too much IMO.

Isn't there a term in statistics for something like that? For when let's say 70 out of 100 answers are the same? Like obviously if you had 1,000 participantes perhaps the results wouldn't be exactly a 700 (1 in 7) but it would probably be something similar, wouldn't it?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
I know that 100 people is way tooo low to count as a serious poll, but c'mon, Shonen Jump would still be #1 by a wide margin, the number of polled people wouldn't change it too much IMO.

Isn't there a term in statistics for something like that? For when let's say 70 out of 100 answers are the same? Like obviously if you had 1,000 participantes perhaps the results wouldn't be exactly a 700 (1 in 7) but it would probably be something similar, wouldn't it?

No doubt about that, I know that even if the number of voters was increased, the overall ratio wouldn't have changed all that much (maybe ±10% margin of error, but that wouldn't "dethrone" WSJ).

The issue here is the very low number of voters, the lack of variety in demographics (zero females were asked) and claiming to be a definitive survey that represents all of Japan's population on the matter.
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit it too. I was also attracted by Slam Dunk to play Bball
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Where did the information of Weekly Shonen Champion dominating the shonen market from 1978 to 1980 came from? Weekly Shonen Jump is the number 1 magazine since 1973!

More, in 1978 to 1980 Shonen Jump went from 2 Million to 3 Milion copies, so it was still growing as well. It was the big time of: Kochikame(the longest manga ever in existence), Kinnikuman, Cobra and Ring ni Kakero(super popular manga of the author of Saint Seiya).

Unless if I'm not understanding what the dominating means here.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It was in the article cited. Do you have a source for your claim? You might be right; I'm curious.

And yes, the article specifies that it dominated sales (literally "controlled the top of sales among shounen manga magazines").
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
The issue here is the very low number of voters, the lack of variety in demographics (zero females were asked) and claiming to be a definitive survey that represents all of Japan's population on the matter.

It was a poll about what magazine of magazines targeted at BOYS was most influential. I'm not saying girls don't read the mags, but they aren't the TARGET demographic. Saying they should have covered both sexes is like saying a poll (restricted to guys) that found "Playboy" the most popular magazine for teen boys to "use" is unreliable because the poll did not ask women also.
bigivel wrote:
More, in 1978 to 1980 Shonen Jump went from 2 Million to 3 Milion copies, so it was still growing as well. It was the big time of: Kochikame(the longest manga ever in existence), Kinnikuman, Cobra and Ring ni Kakero(super popular manga of the author of Saint Seiya).

I don't know the sales figures for the mag, but it should be noted that Tezuka had "Black Jack" running in Champion during this timeframe, Go Nagai ran in Champion and apparently a baseball manga named "Dokaben" ran during this period also. I hadn't heard of it before but it is apparently the second most popular sports manga of all time ranking behind only (obviously) "Slam Dunk"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dokaben
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
It was a poll about what magazine of magazines targeted at BOYS was most influential. I'm not saying girls don't read the mags, but they aren't the TARGET demographic. Saying they should have covered both sexes is like saying a poll (restricted to guys) that found "Playboy" the most popular magazine for teen boys to "use" is unreliable because the poll did not ask women also.

When nearly 50% of the readers are female (as of 2012, at least), one cannot ignore that fact and exclude that audience, even if they weren't the primarily targeted demographic.

(From top to bottom)
    Females:
  • Haikyū!!
  • Gintama
  • Katekyō Hitman Reborn!
  • Kuroko no Basket
  • One Piece
  • Bleach

Males:
  • Nisekoi
  • Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen Mae Hashutsujo
  • Medaka Box
  • Toriko
  • Beelzebub
  • Naruto

Regarding the sales figures of the different publications, you should check this:

HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
When nearly 50% of the readers are female (as of 2012, at least), one cannot ignore that fact and exclude that audience, even if they weren't the primary targeted demographic.

More than a THIRD of the people polled were over FORTY (40) years of age. And (according to the article) only FIVE "teens" were polled. How many 30+ year old women read (or have read, regularly) Shounen Jump? (average age of polled people was 36) I'm guessing that figure in Japan is not as high as the current readership. According to the article that sources the 50/50 thing, Shounen Jump's popularity with women really picked up right around the year 2000, before that they only liked 1 or 2 series in the magazine.

It's been reported that about 63% of SJ's readership is under 14. If we assume that most of the women are/were that age when reading, that means a very small number above 30 would be relevant. (15 yrs ago, plus "top" age of 14 = 29 years ago)

Also, regarding your graphs, this is relevant from the accompanying article:
Quote:
The original data is inaccurate; some contains the circulation of New Year's issue, some contains the circulation of the best-selling issue of the year, so the statistics in the figure has several issues. However, there are no other sources on this topic, and the figure does provide a general overview of the situation. As a result, the figure offers three different kinds of circulation information: New Year's issue, the best-selling issue of the year, and the average circulation of the year.

I know there are other articles citing a figure of 2.5 mil fo SJ's circulation in 1982, so I don't think it was as high as purported in the earlier part of that graph (which, if anything makes the steep ramp up all the more impressive, of course, that also makes the cliff like drop all the more frightening)

Wow, also of note: Looking at the charts, Weekly Shonen Magazine topped JUMP in 1998, two notables from that period, GTO & Love Hina both ran in WSM. Interesting to see the impact that those titles (and maybe some others) had.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
More than a THIRD of the people polled were over FORTY (40) years of age. And (according to the article) only FIVE "teens" were polled. How many 30+ year old women read (or have read, regularly) Shounen Jump? I'm guessing that figure in Japan is not as high as the current readership. According to the article that sources the 50/50 thing, Shounen Jump's popularity with women really picked up right around the year 2000, before that they only liked 1 or 2 series in the magazine.

That's all good and well, if the poll was conducted in 2000, or was about WSJ's reputation back in 2000. But the poll was done "recently" according to ANN (no date was given, but I think it would be safe to assume is was done in the last 6 months, at most).

And about the age thing, while I agree with you that the ratio of adult-to-pre-/teen was also not reflective of the actual audience, WSJ still has a pretty significant portion of its readers that are adults (19+). For example, one of WSJ's staple series, One Piece had nearly 90% of its readership comprised of adults in early 2011.

Of course, One Piece isn't the only series published in WSJ, so if the other series' readers were say no older than 16, that it would affect the overall age demographic of the magazine as a whole. But adults *do* follow WSJ's mangas and they *do* buy them for themselves. So again, coupled with the gender statistics I've posted earlier, it isn't a stretch to assume that there are 20+ (the legal age in Japan) female readers that follow WSJ.

About the sales figures, the article also stated that since no other source was available, the calculations were done to try accommodate for that. Admittedly, not the best option, but it was the best available option, and the statistics are generally on par other, similar charts I've seen about that.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
That's all good and well, if the poll was conducted in 2000, or was about WSJ's reputation back in 2000. But the poll was done "recently" according to ANN

The poll was about what MAGAZINE was the most "influential", not which was the most POPULAR, that is an important distinction. Citing the story about the guy that joined the basketball team due to "Slam Dunk" is an example of the "influence" the magazine had.
Quote:
And about the age thing, while I agree with you that the ratio of adult-to-pre-/teen was also not reflective of the actual audience, WSJ still has a pretty significant portion of its readers that are adults (19+). ...But adults *do* follow WSJ's mangas and they *do* buy them for themselves. So again, coupled with the gender statistics I've posted earlier, it isn't a stretch to assume that there are 20+ (the legal age in Japan) female readers that follow WSJ.

Everytime I see circulation numbers, it's fairly agreed that JUMP has held level recently around 2.8 million copies. In 2014 a single volume of One Piece manga sold over 3 million copies. OBVIOUSLY there are readers of One Piece that don't buy JUMP. (200k at MINIMUM, and more realistically I'd say it's at LEAST 50%) That gives you a large number of people reading the manga that have NOTHING to do with the magazine.

Since I was noting that the ANN article explains that this was in honor of "Magazine" day, I assumed it was exceptionally relevant that this was about MAGAZINES, so the individual titles don't matter.

Also, apparently this has nothing to do with polling (ignore the sample size and screw the demographics), this is just something Hitomebo apparently does sometimes (like ANN's polls) where they just ask 100 people and try to get responses. They also asked 100 people "do you have a quote from manga that 'sticks with you'". That group included women and apparently a bunch of people dig the coach's words from Slam Dunk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1