• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Things You Might Not Know About Hideaki Anno

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
maybe I have been desensitized, but hundreds of dollars hardly sound like a hardcore collector.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Only the asteroid is news to me. His depression in the 90s should have been mentioned or what went on with Nadia/Gunbuster behind the scenes but i am glad that his life action "career" wasn´t mentioned. A surprising amount of anime directors have beards i noticed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
TL;DR
He is an eccentric person. No too surprising, either.

I voted for Weekly Shōnen Jump out of default more than as a something to single-out. All the available choices had series that I liked, and those that I didn't. I just took the Conformist Route here Razz

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, Anno's been completely incapable of properly completing a TV anime. Three strikes.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
I've yet to find any reliable evidence or even an account that it was Kazuya Tsurumaki who took over the KareKano anime starting with episode 19. If the show's credits are to be believed, it was actually producer Hiroki Sato who took over as co-director starting with episode 16, while Anno was still credited with his name spelled in hiragana (episode 16) and katakana (episodes 17-26) instead of kanji.

And after watching how terrible the deserted island/Africa episodes of Nadia were, I got a much better understanding of why Anno got so depressed after working on that show. It could have been a 27-episode masterpiece, but instead NHK and Toho decided to add 12 episodes of filler crap in the middle, which he refused to direct.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Now that I think about it, Anno's been completely incapable of properly completing a TV anime. Three strikes.

You can't really blame Nadia's problems on him, though.
Blue21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
When I read that someone is a delinquent, I expect crazy stuff like 'threw burning books into the library', not simply 'had no interest in some subjects'.
Xardie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice list but I'm slightly annoyed to see the old Kare Kano myth (in English speaking anime fandom that is) JUST REFUSES TO DIE.

Quote:
3. He walked off of Kare Kano, so FLCL director Kazuya Tsurumaki took over Anno was pretty disillusioned with the whole television anime production process before he started Evangelion, but the Kare Kano series fiasco would effectively keep him away from animation directing for years afterwards, outside of Ghibli Museum works. His and Her Circumstances is a romantic drama manga series by Masami Tsuda. Anno was tasked with directing the series but Tsuda grew displeased with the more comedy-focused adaptation. A lot of Anno's directorial marks were on the adaptation as well, which utilized traffic signals and railroad crossings as symbols. As Tsuda's displeasure grew, the show began resorting to less and less actual animation, at one point replacing characters with literal popsicle stick cut-outs. Anno left his directorial duties and the remaining seven episodes were overseen by Kazuya Tsurumaki.

This oft. repeated tale is only half-true. Anno did NOT bail from the project in response to Tsuda's grievances. The creative differences forced Anno to scrap his plans for original ending of the anime and all other original material sans ep 25 so he essentially went Alan Smithee on latter half/third of the series. He still directed the remainder of the show, something that should be quite obvious from extremely Annoesque stylistic elements and choices made right untill the very end of the series. Watch the opening scene of final episode utilizing weird and very Annoesque black and white photography montage while theme from Space Battleship Yamato plays. That is Anno's playbook, not Tsurumaki's.

The staff credits for Kare Kano also makes it perfectly clear Tsurumaki never took over and that Anno was the (increasingly unwilling) director right untill the end. The first 15 episodes give director credit to Anno normally using his name written in kanji:

監督 - 庵野秀明

(This is the point when relationship between Anno and Tsuda starts to get sour, explaining why there's 1½ episode recap here.)

For episode 16 director credit becomes co-director credit with GAINAX producer Satou Hiroshi...and Anno Hideaki, written in hiragana instead of using "proper way" to write his name:

佐藤裕紀、あんのひであき

For ep 17 the name is changed further from hiragana to katakana and it stays that way untill the end:

佐藤裕紀、アンノヒデアキ

Satou Hiroshi was the producer of the show and has no other credits whatsoever in the "creative" production side of anime, making it blatantly clear Anno forced Kare Kano's producer to credit himself as co-director of the end result while at the same time distancing himself from the final product by going from 庵野秀明 to アンノヒデアキ.

In addition Anno still has individual staff credits for remainder of the show which also debunks the idea Anno left the series. He has sole screenplay credit for episodes 1-18, 20-23 and shared credit (with Ken Ando) for episode 26.

In contrast only staff credits for Kazuya Tsurumaki in the whole show are co-storyboard for episodes 4 and 6 plus storyboard-episode director credit for episode 12. So he doesn't even have any staff credits for second cour of Kare Kano at all!

I hope ANN will finally fix the credit error in its Kare Kano entry. Apart from this error the article was fine. Thanks. Smile

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

EoTV is great, Nadia has excellent ending and he wasn't much involved with the abysmal Island Arc. Blaming that infamous Nadia arc on Anno in particular or GAINAX in general is rather questionable.

As for Kare Kano ending inconclusively (sort of) that is Tsuda's fault too. His hands were tied and GAINAX had to follow the manga chapters as far as they could with the episode count they had.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
sicne it's stuff that a lot of people might not know, it would be worht mentioning that otaku no video is semi biographical Razz

Blue21 wrote:
When I read that someone is a delinquent, I expect crazy stuff like 'threw burning books into the library', not simply 'had no interest in some subjects'.

welcome to japan, one of the few things in which anime is not that far away from reality.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He instead spent a lot of his time playing mahjong, working on independent projects in the art club, and staring at the stars in the school astronomy group.

That's not what delinquents do, but whatever. Rolling Eyes
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
maybe I have been desensitized, but hundreds of dollars hardly sound like a hardcore collector.

That's meant for a single item.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad that enough love for the Freeman is still around. Name one other assassin who fights naked with a knife between his toes.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
kekko kamen, though the knife is not between erh toes, if you know what I mean.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Having an asteroid named after someone is interesting. Why can't that asteroid go the moon when the Lance of Longinus space project takes lands on the moon (if it does)?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Anno was "flipping off" anybody when he made EoE. There wasn't just hate mail included in the Instrumentality montage. There was also fan mail, from what I recall, positive mail. It's possible EoE was what Anno wanted to do to begin with, and it actually has a somewhat positive ending, if a bit more honest and less overtly happy than the "CONGRATULATIONS" ending of the TV show.

A bigger flipping off to the fans might be Rebuild 3.33, but there's no way anybody involved in that set out to do that movie on purpose. It was just a horrible, horrible accident.

Another thing to note about Anno is that he did "special effects art" for Gainax's first movie (and my favorite anime movie), Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise. Those gorgeous explosions in the movie? Anno's work.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4