• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
AnimeJapan 2015 - Part 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Amazing pictures Bamboo. Thanks for sharing them. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for the prototype for Aniplex's Ciel Phantomhive figure.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Not a whole lot new at this event is there? Maybe I misunderstood what it was supposed to be about since I thought it was going to be a showcase of unannounced stuff and it's mainly just been a showcase of already active popular franchises.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
New shows almost never get announced at AnimeJapan. Usually the heaviest promotion is for shows airing in the Spring and movies that will release in the summer, and then whatever's most popular and currently running.

Whatever news there is from the event will show up in the news feed, but typically it's all release dates, episode counts, bluray box set releases, that sort of thing. It's a promotional event first and foremost.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Even if I were a native speaker, I'd be utterly overwhelmed and overloaded by all that. Add in the crowds and I'd just be a basketcase. Glad I can just look at pictures instead of being there!
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
New shows almost never get announced at AnimeJapan. Usually the heaviest promotion is for shows airing in the Spring and movies that will release in the summer, and then whatever's most popular and currently running.

Whatever news there is from the event will show up in the news feed, but typically it's all release dates, episode counts, bluray box set releases, that sort of thing. It's a promotional event first and foremost.

Yeah clearly misunderstood the purpose of it then. I thought this was supposed to be something like the E3 trade show of anime.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Are you trying to kill my RAM, dear ANN? Laughing

Awesome pictures, I laughed when I saw those two of Triage X (side-by-side no less!)

It's like "here, see for yourself how different the art style is between the versions"

Saw a poster of Charlotte, and I went "oh, right. That show exist..." I forgot about it Embarassed

ANN wrote:
One big thing I noticed is that many of the booths are really into replicating animators' desks, as well as the workspaces of other production staff workers. This year, Anime Japan even hosted a "production works street" that guides visitors through the animation production process. Whether or not this is directly related to the popularity of Shirobako is hard to tell, but it was all pretty cool to see.

I'm gonna go with "yes, it does" for that one. IIRC, there was a similar thing a while back, not necessarily at that con, that following Bakuman.'s airing, there was a con that showed more about the process of creating mangas. I can't remember where I saw it, though...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh, how I would have cried to have left the pretty shikishi behind. I'm so happy I wasn't there as I would have cried serious tears to have left them behind. Not sure if I was happy to see those pictures as I know I won't be owning any of them any time..well, ever.

Thanks for all the great pictures and I enjoyed the write up.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote

*blinks*

Ok, there's very important info for Akatsuki No Yona here and I can't read it but for my sanity I'm gonna pretend that the new season starts in April according to the pic here.

*fingers crossed*
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Man I really was hoping Aniplex wasn't going to make those yukata figures for the ENTIRE Madoka cast. $140 a pop is painful.
ehh123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I heard TMS was going to show clips from the new Lupin III anime. Did you find anything like that?
SnowCentaur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, that Arslan statue.
I can't believe myself though. I'm on an exchange year in Tokyo and I forgot about this. xD
partially

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Zac wrote:

Yeah clearly misunderstood the purpose of it then. I thought this was supposed to be something like the E3 trade show of anime.

Not really that different. The vast majority of stuff at E3 is already announced promotional stuff just like this. Only a small percentage is for the entirely new. It is one of the major criticisms levelled at E3 the last bunch of years. That it has devolved into essentially a big marketing push for games with little new.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the wonderful photos.

I love the life-size reproduction of Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun's living room.

Sankyo and Satelight's dual booth:
Those are Slot machines, right?

Production IG:
I wish US convention organizers could bring Gargantia's robot head-cockpit. It's looks freakin' awesome.
I would die to see Haikyuu's key animation drawings.

MIC booth:
I'm praying that my local Japan travel agent have Otaku Pilgrimage travel package ready.

Kadokawa's booth:
I have some of those magazines on display... No matter how glossy and pretty their Newtype magazine is, my heart has move onto Animage for their data.

Japan Animator Expo booth:
I would love to have that flip book. It's nice to know that magic created from a small cluttered desk

Garo booth:
I have mixed feeling about live action adaptation. Another case of Japanese actor pretending to be Westerner?

Quote:
One of the many voice acting, animating, painting, and sculpting schools who have a booth at Anime Japan:

I hope art graduates find better paid job or career than certain anime studios...

TMS booth:
I would love to have one of those Yowamushi Pedal jerseys

Your Lie in April booth:
I don't know about whole animator/director's desk set up, but I love the animation drawings though. I think it would better if they had grand piano and violin setup

Mushishi mvoie booth:
I love Yoshihiko Umakoshi's animation drawings. Also I'm glad that I have the whole manga.

Aldnoah Zero booth:
We all wish that our closet would look that cockpit, right?

Aniplex booth:
I'm going to hate Aniplex for their gorgeous limited edition art books. Takako Shimura's drawing of Princess Asseyleim is beautiful.

Free! Eternal Summer booth:
I don't know about debit card, but I'm sure fan girls would love to take photo of themselves right next to POP cut out if they're allowed.

Dou Kyu Sei booth:
I just remembered 90's "End of Summer" anime/eroge which has the same Japanese name.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:

MIC booth:
I'm praying that my local Japan travel agent have Otaku Pilgrimage travel package ready.

Some people organise their trips to Japan completely by themselves. I use a travel agent for flights, accommodation, fan-club memberships and concert tickets, but plan what places to see (including anime-related places) online.

Everyone's interests in Japan are a bit different and there is a lot of fun in planning what to see ahead of time (with alternatives to allow for the weather conditions and how one feels on the day).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3