• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Area 88 DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Ace

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Regretfully I cannot say the same about the musical scoring, which mixes piano-based and orchestral numbers with techno themes, the latter of which are sometimes used to “highlight” the fight scenes.

I remember watching the series fansubbed a year ago and I notice the techno tracks are different on this DVD as well as the next episode preview music. Shocked
neoritter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't look for any female characters, either (at least not in the first volume—there's a female pilot coming in the second one), as the only woman with a speaking role in this volume is a lunch lady.

This seems an irrelevant/unfair point. There really aren't many female characters in the OAV or the source material. I know anime is rife with female characters in combat roles, but realistically (which is what Area 88 tends to strive for) there aren't many female pilots, much less women in the military. Never mind as part of a mercenary air force in the Middle East during the 80s.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Deleted

Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Necroposting an almost decade old review thread. Is that a record breaker on this site or something?

Regardless, reported.
Why not try reading the necroposting guidelines before hitting that report button?

Quote:
In the Talkback forum time-sensitive topics have at most 2 months of shelf life before timing out.

Please note that reviews ARE NOT time sensitive, and thus are exempt from the above sentence -- THEY NEVER TIME OUT.

If anyone wishes to discuss this topic further, carry on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1