• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Might Makes Rights

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
opened up my old DVD of Otaku no Video, and noticed that it had a couple of paper inserts, one containing lyrics to all the songs used, and another with info on the wide array of anime spoofs and references made throughout the show. Why don't more releases include extras like this? [...] Admittedly, I've owned this DVD for nearly a decade and just noticed now.

I feel like this guy answered his own question. Laughing
Actually, I love paper and booklet inserts (assuming it has actual content and not just a chapter list), and I've read through all of mine that have liner notes and interviews. Judging by NIS and Nozomi's practices of including books like this there is obviously some market for at least high quality booklet extras.

I'm a long time anime fan that enjoys subs and dubs. To me the dub is like a really nice extra. I usually watch sub first and rewatch with the dub. I have a huge collection but I just can't justify spending money on a release without either a dub or some kind of collector incentive (LE box, book). Why spend $30+ on a release when I can watch it on Crunchyroll? Especially when in some of the bare-bones DVD release cases *coughFREEcough* the version on Crunchyroll is HQ. And since I've already watched the sub usually, the dub is a nice incentive to watch a show again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I'm a long time anime fan that enjoys subs and dubs. To me the dub is like a really nice extra. I usually watch sub first and rewatch with the dub. I have a huge collection but I just can't justify spending money on a release without either a dub or some kind of collector incentive (LE box, book). Why spend $30+ on a release when I can watch it on Crunchyroll? Especially when in some of the bare-bones DVD release cases *coughFREEcough* the version on Crunchyroll is HQ. And since I've already watched the sub usually, the dub is a nice incentive to watch a show again.

This sums up my feelings on the matter quite well.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
I find that dubs are a really easy way for me to gateway people into certain shows. I have quite a few friends that are into anime, but streaming subs seems to be a new-ish thing for some of them. And since some of them like to "watch" anime while they work (and since it's mostly art-related stuff, I can't fault 'em for that), it's much, much easier for me to introduce a dubbed show for them to enjoy rather than a subbed one.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
I personally love dubs. I don't have an issue with watching subs, but most of the time when I'm watching anime I'm also working on other things (craft projects, cosplay, shopping lists, etc.). If I'm watching sub-only then I can't focus on anything else but the show. At least with a dub I can turn away from the TV for a few moments and not miss as much as I would with a sub-only show.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
OK, I've heard this a few times, and I really need to ask: why the heck are you doing various other things WHILE watching anime? It doesn't matter if you're watching a dub, you're still not paying attention. So unless it's a show you've already seen, why even bother if you're not going to give it the attention it needs?
Foxaika

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
I actually know quite a few people who prefer dubs simply for the fact that they can watch while multitasking(as others have mentioned), and also focus more on the actual imagery of the show. They don't like having to focus on the subtitles also. I know there are a lot of fans who are indifferent, but really, the people who prefer or solely watch dubs are out there as well.

Edit:
DmonHiro wrote:
OK, I've heard this a few times, and I really need to ask: why the heck are you doing various other things WHILE watching anime? It doesn't matter if you're watching a dub, you're still not paying attention. So unless it's a show you've already seen, why even bother if you're not going to give it the attention it needs?

You can't watch a show while doing some non-intensive tasks? I certainly can eat/drink, make a shopping list, etc while watching something, especially if it's a dub.

Last edited by Foxaika on Fri May 08, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
I just flat out engage more with a show when it's in my language. That's the long and short of it.

And yeah, unless it's by Discotek (god bless them) or similar companies who bring out niche rarities and shows in general from the cel era, particularly ones that were never subbed, even by fans, before, I also find it incredibly hard to justify buying sub-only discs.

Last edited by Hazinger Zeta on Fri May 08, 2015 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Not every show "needs" to have every moment absorbed by your eyes and ears. I'd be hard pressed to say any do, really. To me anime is entertainment first, not art. Even in the most experimental anime not every moment is as important as another. It's fine to knit or cook or surf the net while you watch. Even if you miss something it's not like you can't rewind.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
I also assume that including a dub would generate more sales. If publishers are willing to pay the extra expense to produce dubs it must be because they are an added benefit to a release.

I prefer watching anime with a dub, but the inclusion of one does not usually persuade me to buy a physical release. When I watch a subbed simulcast of a one cour show, I see the dub as an alternative to rewatch it. But the dub has to be well made to switch from sub to dub.

On the other hand, rewatching series with two or three cours subbed is not very attractive to me. If I like a lot a two or three cours show, I have no problem buying a physical copy sub only, but I prefer it if it comes with a dub. I am also more forgiving of subpar dubs for two or three cours shows because they make rewatching easier.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
...the people who prefer or solely watch dubs are out there as well.

I'm one of those folks. There are moments where I'll watch a show subtitled, but they're extremely rare.
Missylissy90

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
I have a friend whose husband is legally blind. He watches it on a huge monitor but he can't see the subtitles, so as such, he can only watch dub. So in a way, while some dubs do get on my nerves by the voices they pick, I can see why they are needed. There are some anime in fact where I sometimes prefer the dub over the subs and some anime where I prefer the sub over the dub. Just depends.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:54 am Reply with quote
The naivete of the last question is something that always amuses me. It's true that if you go to a hardcore anime forum and ask if people prefer subtitled or dubbed anime, usually you'll have a majority answering with the former. But if you go to smaller anime sites or sites for stuff that may have some anime fan overlap (certain video games, etc.), it's generally completely the opposite. These people tend to be just as likely, if not even more likely, to be actually buying anime.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I see dubs as extras, on the same level as trailers. Don't care if they're there or not, as long as I don't have to pay extra for the inclusion of them.

DmonHiro wrote:

Hey man, calm down. It's not like it's a visual entertainment medium or something... Anime smile + sweatdrop

It's even more amusing when some people say that they don't like subs because it makes it hard for them to focus on the actual show, but doing random stuff like making shopping lists, studying for a test or cleaning your car while watching dubbed anime? No problemo Laughing.

@Red Fox of Fire Well the vast majority of people who watch anime do so in the original Japanese. Even in countries like Germany where essentially everything licensed gets dubbed most people watch anime w/ JP language.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Cosplayers probably don't have to worry about being flagged on YouTube for monetizing cosplay videos.

Reviewers who use video clips, as I've found from personal experience, will almost certainly be screwed, regardless of Fair Use.

Fair Use is pretty much utterly meaningless now. Especially since anime is made in a foreign country. Japan doesn't have the same copyright laws and allowances, and since YouTube is a global platform, certain licensing companies with foreign streaming rights (like Yamato Animation in Italy) can also have your videos flagged or banned outright. YouTube doesn't protect its users, does not care, and it's disputing system is just there to make you feel better about being screwed.

As for English dubs, they'll always be a valuable marketing tool. People in general will always prefer to watch something in their native tongue, regardless of the quality. You just have to hope that the English dubs properly represent the material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AkiraKaneda

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I've been a fan for 30 years now, and as I've gotten older, I've found it much much harder to watch subs. Perhaps because of the hectic pace of my life and when I get to watch anime, subs often make me fall asleep unless a show is incredibly intense (such as Attack on Titan). I used to be a sub-only guy, but not anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13