• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids to Premiere Sega's Dinosaur King Anime on Fox

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
4Kids, give up. You obviously haven't learned.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
At least this time they picked something a bit more obscure then One Piece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
firecrouch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
At least this time they picked something their company was designed to work on: toy commercial shows. Although they still seem to think that "Americanizing" is important, which it isn't.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
I think 4Kids has finnally learned a lesson from all this,because now they're actually going after Animes which are actually marketed towards Kids.

I've always been a fan of dinosaurs at a young age as a Kid,I always loved to read books about them when I was a kids,maybe this show won't be so bad,because now 4Kids have a new Pokemon-like show that they can make money off of since Pokemon USA now has the license to the Pokemon Anime.

I've seen a few japanese RAW episodes of Dinosaur King,and this is'nt half bad,so I'll see how the dub turns out( Ony because I like dinosaurs) Smile
firecrouch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
Just a warning though, the dub may still have some crappy artistic liberties despite the content being more appropriate for 3-11 year-olds.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quote
firecrouch wrote:
Just a warning though, the dub may still have some crappy artistic liberties despite the content being more appropriate for 3-11 year-olds.
Amen to that! While I'm a hardcore English dub lover, 4Kids does things to the dub that make it absolutely worthless.

Now, a lot of companies will do rewrites of lines. That's expected to a degree, because an exact translation of the line from Japanese to English doesn't always fit the flaps. What 4Kids does though, goes far beyond such minor rewrites and even farther beyond the reversioning that some groups do, where they make "improvements" to lines. (Heck, those usually aren't that bad!) 4Kids takes the original script, appears to skim it, then takes out anything that even remotely sounds intelligent and replaces it with puns, jokes, gags, and really lousy acting. Not to mention bad accents.

They actually make good actors sound bad intentionally. It's quite disturbing and I feel sorry for even this series, which although being aimed at small children and intended to sell toys, as it is still going to suffer greatly. No matter how mindless it was before, 4Kids will find a way to make it even dumber.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I mean most people I read liked the old Pokemon dub better than the new one. At least this is a show more along the lines of a product that people have enjoyied from them in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they've decided to go back to what made them their money in the first place. So much for focusing on in-house productions. Can't say I'm surprised, at this point I'm sure they're getting desperate for whatever they can get their hands on, which of course is another throw away series that probably won't make a big return.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
This dub is going to amuse me, I can already tell. Most of the dinosaur species used in the game and anime series are rather obscure (as in, if you're not a complete nut for this sort of thing or a genuine expert in the field, odds are you've never heard of them), so it's going to be funny seeing if the translators even bother doing any actual research and just guess on the names (like Geneon did with that Lupin episode where marine reptile Plesiosaurus became "Pressiosaurus"). I can easily see Amargasaurus becoming "Amalgamsaurus," Saichania becoming "Saikanea," and Ceratosaurus becoming "Kehratosaurus" in this dub not out of some "Americanization," but purely out of a lack of effort to look this stuff up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Canuckian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that Nelvana's Bakugan: Battle Brawlers will become more popular than Dinosaur King once it airs in the US(If it hasn't that is). If only due to Bakugan atleast looking "new and different" where Dinosaur King looks like the plain Yu-Gi-Oh! Copycats we've seen in the past(Duel Masters, I'm looking at you!).
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I kind of forgot 4Kids existed for a while. Now that they don't have One Piece to create controversy over or Pokemon to actually make money off of, they just seemed to kind of fade out of existance.
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Al Kahn for staying the f*ck away from anything we care about.
uncutpokemon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
i'm not a fan of this show, but i do feel sorry for it. i hope with all my heart that they fail humiliatingly again! just from what they have already confirmed about the dubbing, i can tell they're gonna screw it up, poor FUNimation having to release edited dub only DVDs Crying or Very sad
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Thank you Al Kahn for staying the f*ck away from anything we care about.

Of course it is no doubt they went back on their word though.

A little over a year ago they wrote:
The move reflects 4Kids's ongoing push away from anime licensing, a direction it stressed in its 2005 year-end report.

From that report wrote:
Heading forwards, it was stressed that 4Kids wants to focus on properties it owns, as opposed to properties that it licenses. Fully owned properties and co-owned properties do not expire or have restrictions placed on them by licensors.

Guess whatever great ideas they had, ended up in the shitter.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
**sigh** When will they LEARN not to Americanize stuff.... How many times has that FAILED??? Better yet, count how many times Americanization actually succeeded... um...I count, er.... two.... Okay, 3, but one wasn't by 4Kids. ...Okay, and you can count Power Rangers (though it's not Anime), that'd make 4.

Course all this is from my knowledge of Anime and the Americanized crap. OMG, My poor 'Tokyo Mew Mew'...how could you....4kids, you mutilated it! ...and it wasn't even BAD to begin with!

It's bad enough already: we have Disney with wrong subtitle translations and what has been Americanized in the past. Don't do it any more...! DX
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2