• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NisiOisin's Himeiden, Shōjo Fujūbun Novels Get Manga Adaptations

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
More NisiOisin content? Couldn't be happier
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Himeiden was the best thing he'd done in years. (Not a fan of that character design, though, he should be slightly unnerving looking.)
The immediate sequel was pretty good, but the third is so boring I got stuck halfway through and never finished it.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
"NisiOisin's (Monogatari series, Medaka Box)."

Katanagatari is his best work, I wonder why isn't mentioned that often...
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:

Because it isn't his best series?
Katanagatari is his least interesting series imo - it's too close to a generic shouneny storyline and too short to explore much else. Medaka box has enough length to actually explore the ideas it wants to as does Monogatari...

I've heard mixed things about his new series but I'd like him to move on from Monogatari. I love the series to death but I thought Zoku Owari was the best ending for that series so the off-season novels seem out of place now.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:

I've heard mixed things about his new series but I'd like him to move on from Monogatari. I love the series to death but I thought Zoku Owari was the best ending for that series so the off-season novels seem out of place now.

I think he loves the verse he's made with Mono. I actually think he has like 4 books out this year. So i don't find it too bad once he keeps bringing out new content as he goes on with Mono. More time with the gang the better in my eyes
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
At the time the novels came out, Katanagatari was the first time he'd ever disappointed. I read the whole thing hoping it would get better at some point and it had some decent moments, but never really worked for me. I think the anime generally works better than the novels.

Since then he's missed more than he's hit. I don't think he'll ever top Zaregoto, and I don't think he'll ever bother finishing Risuka.

It's a real shame. It feels like he's a victim of his own success.
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:26 pm Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:

Love how you said that. It IS his best series? Is that so? Last time I thought, opinions dont = fact...
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
At the time the novels came out, Katanagatari was the first time he'd ever disappointed. I read the whole thing hoping it would get better at some point and it had some decent moments, but never really worked for me. I think the anime generally works better than the novels.

Since then he's missed more than he's hit. I don't think he'll ever top Zaregoto, and I don't think he'll ever bother finishing Risuka.

It's a real shame. It feels like he's a victim of his own success.

I can only talk about his adaptions and translations so I can't really talk about Zaregoto - it seems like your display pic might be from it though so I take it you're a fan? xD

But I don't think he's missed more than he's hit - Or at least I think the worst you can say of him is that some of his recent works might be a bit samey? They are still good, but he's a writer who does best when he's exploring new ideas and questioning tropes, so when he gets into writing the same kind of thing it feels like he is coasting? I wouldn't be surprised if that thing where he wrote 6 or so one-shot manga was him trying to find something new to get into.

He clearly loves the universe and characters he has created with Monogatari and it allows him to do a lot - but there's only so much more he can fit in since Hana is the end of the series and that too would lose meaning if he started adding in books after, since the characters can't be resolved completely, and that's the point xD
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Love how you said that. It IS his best series? Is that so? Last time I thought, opinions don't = fact...

It's so lovely how angry some people get when someone gives an opinion. I mean, although I didn't said it was my opinion, I never said it was a fact. Now, there you have it: that's a fact.

Quote:
Because it isn't his best series?
Katanagatari is his least interesting series imo - it's too close to a generic shouneny storyline and too short to explore much else. Medaka box has enough length to actually explore the ideas it wants to as does Monogatari...

Didn't you find something odd happening between Katanagatari and Monogatari series? Like, I don't know... they're completely unrelated, perhaps?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1