• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Rodea the Sky Soldier

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
The Wii version of this game is magnificence, but the new generation ones are pretty ugly and pretty bad.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, at least now I know which version I'll have to play!

I just wish Naka could work for a good producer, so that he won't have more problems like this.
It's a shame that a game by one of the greatest game designers/directors around was treated like this. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Enner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the review!

With any luck, the Wii version will available to be purchased and downloaded separately on the Wii U eShop sometime in the future. That would be nice for those who don't have the money to spare, but would like to play the best version of the game.
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
This review is completely on the mark. The Wii version of the game is a delightful little gem of a game. But the Wii U version is almost staggeringly bad in comparison. It's truly baffling how someone can take a solid game and convert it into trash, only to sell the trash version as the main event. It just does not compute.
Radrappy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
SPOT ON.

The wii version is a delightful but flawed experience. The camera can be a pain and it can be frustrating to navigate between energy barriers and certain attacks because of an inconsistent flight pattern. The story is not only generic but painfully unclear at times. Rivals will perish ambiguously leaving you wondering what has actually happened. The dialogue on the other hand is charming and well localized.

The real victory here though is that the game plays how Nights into Dreams would play in a full 3d environment. I know this has been a dream of Naka's for a long time (a game that offered the sensation of free fully 3d flight) and know that the wii's pointer controls were one of the only means with which to deliver it.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
It really makes no sense they ported down to the 3ds then up to Wii U instead of just basing it on the Wii version.

Im thinking of it as a Wii game with a bonus Wii U game tbh. Even has a reversible cover for the Wii version. Just need to find a white dvd case.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
I haven't played it yet, but I do feel glad I got the Day One edition. I was too late to get the collectors' edition though! I wanted the artbook.

I'll play it later to see how I feel between the two versions. I could put up with and enjoy stuff like NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, and I can usually find something to like in most games I play. (I recently tried Gravity Badgers, though, and it was total garbage.)

Sariachan wrote:

I just wish Naka could work for a good producer, so that he won't have more problems like this.
It's a shame that a game by one of the greatest game designers/directors around was treated like this. Sad

He does have Monster Manor and Ultimate Angler as part of the 3DS StreetPass Mii Plaza collection, both of which are not only amazing, but have sold like hotcakes. (Well, Monster Manor more so than Ultimate Angler due to the latter's lack of publicity, its recentness, and fighting ghosts being a more popular theme for video games than fishing.)

But yeah, if the concerns here are widespread regarding Rodea, it does indicate that the problems he had at SEGA where executive meddling was holding him back (and understandably, as his game concepts tend to be difficult to explain) still occur when he founded his own company.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
[...]
Sariachan wrote:

He does have Monster Manor and Ultimate Angler as part of the 3DS StreetPass Mii Plaza collection, both of which are not only amazing, but have sold like hotcakes. (Well, Monster Manor more so than Ultimate Angler due to the latter's lack of publicity, its recentness, and fighting ghosts being a more popular theme for video games than fishing.)

But yeah, if the concerns here are widespread regarding Rodea, it does indicate that the problems he had at SEGA where executive meddling was holding him back (and understandably, as his game concepts tend to be difficult to explain) still occur when he founded his own company.

I know and own Monster Manor and I love it, but I didn't know that Ultimate Angler was developed by him, too!
Thanks for the info, I'll get that too for sure. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
It's not nearly as interesting as Monster Manor though, and is way more luck-based. Nevertheless, I can tell a lot of care went into making Ultimate Angler. All of the normal fish are real-life species and look just like how they actually appear for real, for instance.

But you can see that it's made by the same team: The way you get fishing rods is very similar to how you get new guns. The rod-fusion system is also exactly the same as the gun-fusion system (and the fishing rods are even ranked). You meet new anglers in much the same way as you meet lost explorers, and Coraline bears quite the resemblance to Iris/Elle (the name depending on your region). They are also the only two StreetPass Mii Plaza games thus far to have a leveling system for your player character. When you get right down to it, excelling in both games also requires many StreetPasses of people with the same color shirt.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It's not nearly as interesting as Monster Manor though, and is way more luck-based. Nevertheless, I can tell a lot of care went into making Ultimate Angler. All of the normal fish are real-life species and look just like how they actually appear for real, for instance.

But you can see that it's made by the same team: The way you get fishing rods is very similar to how you get new guns. The rod-fusion system is also exactly the same as the gun-fusion system (and the fishing rods are even ranked). You meet new anglers in much the same way as you meet lost explorers, and Coraline bears quite the resemblance to Iris/Elle (the name depending on your region). They are also the only two StreetPass Mii Plaza games thus far to have a leveling system for your player character. When you get right down to it, excelling in both games also requires many StreetPasses of people with the same color shirt.

Thanks a lot for the further info. ^^
Among the Street Pass games, I'm also enjoying Street Garden a lot. But I like all of them, for one reason or another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1