• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Log Horizon Author Mamare Touno Under House Arrest For Tax Evasion Charges

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
Goodness, not this again. Touno-San just can't get away with tax evasion charges. Is there anything that prevents him to hire a competent tax accountant? I searched this news on several Japanese sites and got nothing.

That being said, if author of LH needs to pay that much tax annually, how much the author of SAO/AW and author of Mahouka need to pay for their taxes then? Gotta be huge.
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
So... why is he under house arrest? The story makes it sound like it's for the same 30 million yen it was back in April but didn't he say he got it straightened out / paid off? Why be put under house arrest now? Kind of confused.
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:03 am Reply with quote
^ It's a continuation of the last news. Even though he paid off, the investigation department concluded the tax evasion was intentional after the investigation, so he is now prosecuted. And yeah, it's not arrest but prosecution.

I don't know whether it's okay to post Anime/suki forum's post, but this post explains it better.
http://goo.gl/bZmIZD
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
Kamieichi wrote:
^ It's a continuation of the last news. Even though he paid off, the investigation department concluded the tax evasion was intentional after the investigation, so he is now prosecuted. And yeah, it's not arrest but prosecution.

I don't know whether it's okay to post Anime/suki forum's post, but this post explains it better.
http://goo.gl/bZmIZD

Thanks for clearing that up
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:09 am Reply with quote
Very sorry to hear about this. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment from his characters and stories. If this was unintentional, I really hope he's got an email/paper trail to prove it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
While I don't blame the guy for wanting to avoid paying taxes (seriously, I don't like taxes), it still is a crime. Another thing is that when you make royalties of something, sometimes the idea of greed/being wealthy can go to to people's head to the point where they might think that paying taxes is beneath them.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
I knew that something was up when the mater got so public so quickly (especially by Japanese standards!) and bothered to point it put last time. The circus is back in town and i can´t believe how much more investment i have in the case that in his mostly bland writing.

I am willing to put money on the table that he actual committed the crime as the tax departments would never hound a man so hard for screwing up a form. Remember kidZ.
Even the Joker is afraid on the IRS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G56VgsLfKY4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I am willing to put money on the table that he actual committed the crime as the tax departments would never hound a man so hard for screwing up a form. Remember kidZ.
Even the Joker is afraid on the IRS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G56VgsLfKY4

Not so sure.

I once saw a documentary on telly about tax inspectors in Japan (long time ago though, while still living in Sweden), and it really comes across a pretty harsh practice regardless of targets. Harsh for the targets that is. I remember something about a guy eating some food stuff from his own shop and not declaring it. Yeesh... Confused

Perhaps too much to hope for someone here would have more insight info about more current situations/practices in Japan in relation to these matters?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Again?

Damn, this dude really hates taxes.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
The author was really that desperate for money that he had to commit such an atrocious crime. Though it should have been expected from such a bad storyteller.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
^

Damn. What the hell? Tax is why we can't have nice things. Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
This isn't like eating your own stock, it isn't a case of filing the wrong form. No one gets $250,000 behind in taxes by accident. If he owes that much his income was much higher so he wasn't desperate for money unless he has been gambling with the mob.

This is just greed and stupidity combined. Did he really think the government wasn't going to notice??
Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
It's a real shame that he got caught... Keep fighting the good fight Mamare Touno!
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:17 am Reply with quote
wow what dick. provided that this was indeed intentional and well for it to go this far i can only assume that it was. while i really enjoy his LN i do feel betrayed for buying his books when they come out but if i think of it as helping the sales of LN's in general it makes me feel better. I only hope the other LN authors that i like aren't doing this as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:52 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2